Gas Tank Welding, Grand Rapids MI by euro-tour
Started on: 10-28-2013 07:22 AM
Replies: 9 (421 views)
Last post by: gen2muchwork on 10-30-2013 10:34 AM
euro-tour

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for euro-tourSend a Private Message to euro-tourEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all you Fiero owners in West Michigan, I have a question for you. Does anyone know of a shop that will weld up a gas tank? I have a 1987 GT with a leak under one of the straps. The rest of the tank looks good, at least what I can see on the inside. I called a couple of shops and they sent me to a place in Holland that does the Gas Tank Renu process, they wanted $350. The process has a lot of labor on a Fiero tank, they cut it open, remove the baffle, make a steel baffle, then weld it back together before it can be coated. The coating has to be baked on.

That leaves me with two options, weld it and coat with POR 15 or buy an aluminum tank. Let me know if there is a shop around for welding.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had leaks under my straps too and welded it up myself - that was 5 years ago. If the rest of the tank is in good shape, just a couple holes under the straps, you might try taking the tank out and taking it to more of a hot rod shop. almost anyone who has worked on custom stuff for a while has welded up a tank. If you were closer, I would tell you to bring it to me... It does take time, I drained the tank and sat it in the sun for a few days and once I no longer could smell fumes, I provided a slight positive pressure to the tank to with an air hose and started cutting and welding, Then I tested the tank with a couple gallons of water to make sure there were no leaks. Then it takes time to get the water out. I was probably overly safe - but that is much better than taking a risk with a gas tank....

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last time I was yard-crawling was about 4 years ago, but there were still tanks out there to be found. Who knows if they would be in any better shape.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the exact same problem, rusted out under the front strap. Took it to Gas Tank Renu in Traverse City, $200 there. It was coated inside and out, with a lifetime warranty. Pretty sure it still had the plastic baffle, but it was hard to tell. Works perfectly though.
euro-tour

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for euro-tourSend a Private Message to euro-tourEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone, I was thinking the Tank RENU process would be about $200 and was shocked at the $350. The shop told me they have done a few Fieros so I am asuming they know what they are getting into. One more try at welding, I have a friend who is a welding and I am checking to see it he could help me out. If this falls through I am pulling the trigger on the aluminum tank.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had very good results with proper surface preparation and JB WELD. Several years and no return of the leaks.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talk to a local radiator shop. They may be cheaper. You can also ask what they use to coat the outside of the tank. You can use something like cheese cloth and POR15 to make a patch that is gas-proof. I had a couple of tanks (non-fiero) ones that a rad. shop did. I had a small pin hole leak afterwards and they just used a coating on the outside to seal it.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The company that makes POR15 has a tank sealer product.
euro-tour

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for euro-tourSend a Private Message to euro-tourEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I got in touch with a friend that is a welder and he is going to look at it tomarrow, crossing my fingers that he can weld a patch in.
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

The company that makes POR15 has a tank sealer product.

I've used that on a bmw before. US tank Sealer from por 15. was really easy to use and sealed it well, even a small hole it said it couldn't. i'd use it again.

personally, I'd jb weld it, then seal it and drive away with money in my pocket to fill it a few times. This may be more difficult in the cold weather if you don't have a heated garage. I did it in the warm weather.

the yards around here pop the tank to drain it (jerks), otherwise I'd offer to grab ya a good one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock