Polishing Engine Vent Covers by Jim_Martin29
Started on: 10-27-2013 02:11 AM
Replies: 8 (448 views)
Last post by: 1988holleyformula on 10-31-2013 05:16 PM
Jim_Martin29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The paint is wearing off the engine vent covers on my '86 GT. I notice the exposed metal shows no signs of corrosion. I thinking about striping and polishing the vent covers rather than painting or powder coating then.

Has anyone tried to strip and polish the vent covers?

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
Monterey, California

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had them sand blasted and repainted. They look like new.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine vent covers are die cast aluminum. While they will polish up, the look will be mottled due to the casting process. The shine will not be uniform, like you would see on a wheel.
If you want a uniform finish, plating or powdercoating are your best options.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had mine powder coated and they look great, other then one or two bubbles on the side that faces the deck. They can be a pain in the ass to powder coat due to the way they are cast. It took the place that did mine 3 attempts to get them where they are. They look just as good today as when they were done 5 years ago.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I painted mine gloss black when I was painting some other parts, and had a full cup of paint in my paint gun. They came out very nice.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hes right. The castings color is not uniform...has random discoloring and would look bad just polished.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

The paint is wearing off the engine vent covers on my '86 GT. I notice the exposed metal shows no signs of corrosion. I thinking about striping and polishing the vent covers rather than painting or powder coating then.

Has anyone tried to strip and polish the vent covers?

Save yourself some work. A member on here was making stainless vents with custom designs on them. I got one with the pegasus design for under 30 bucks about a year ago. Plug & play and no polishing whatsoever.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. All good information

Originally posted by Spoon:

Save yourself some work. A member on here was making stainless vents with custom designs on them. I got one with the pegasus design for under 30 bucks about a year ago. Plug & play and no polishing whatsoever.

Spoon

Is there a link to this person or to the discussion on Pennocks?

Thanks
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. All good information

Is there a link to this person or to the discussion on Pennocks?

Thanks

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...4/HTML/054658-9.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock