Started on: 10-23-2013 04:24 PM
Replies: 30 (845 views)
Last post by: FTF Engineering on 10-26-2013 08:29 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was installing some suspension parts on my sons car and was using some carb spray to clean off some spots. Well I must have got some overspray on my favorite flashlight I was using. It melted my flashlight. Totally ruined it. So food for thought, don't get carb spray on anything plastic.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't get brake cleaner in your eyes while wearing contact lenses, either.

Don't ask.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would suck!

Jim
FTF Engineering

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy. You wanna talk about some pain? I bought one o' them linoleum knives the other day, you know?
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we should change the title to 'injuries you've had working on your fiero'

I've stabbed myself in the stomach through my shirt, taking a part apart...that's all i'm saying but I have the scar to prove it. duh.
GM Shane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GM ShaneSend a Private Message to GM ShaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I lit my shirt on fire while grinding struts to make my coilovers.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I once had an awesome degreaser spray. Thought I would clean the steering wheel since it was gross on an old 80's Ford LTD. Well, it cleaned the wheel but the overspray melted the clear plastic over the gauges. Knowing your speed became a thing of the past!
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Don't ask.

This....except I did it with carb cleaner...talk about burn!!!!
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the top nut off of my strut without compressing the spring. I got lucky though and the spring was so worn out that it didn't do much.
Sile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SileSend a Private Message to SileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Don't ask.

Haha brake clean burns like a mother in the eyes, when I was a diesel tech we were getting a small di-electric digger ready for a di test me and my shop forman were scrubbing the fiberglass boom getting ready to patch gel coat and wax it I was doushing the top and using a scotch pad to scrub it my forman pops his head up with no glasses and I shot it directly in both of his eyes... good thing the boom was between us.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GM Shane:

I lit my shirt on fire while grinding struts to make my coilovers.

I had a rather large cherry pop back inside my shirt when cutting with a torch. I shifted around trying to keep it from burning my chest. Ended up with a burn scar that looked like it was a C H... Thankfully it faded away over the years. Other than that I've set my shirt and pants on fire several times over the years welding, grinding or cutting with a torch. Once had a cherry burn a hole through my hat to and singe off some of my hair in a line. I think the worst one was the one that landed in my ear.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-23-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was frighten one day by a huge spider. We had a Mexican standoff for a few seconds before he made a break for it. The only thing in arms reach was a can of aircraft paint remover. Lets just say it was a day he'll never forget albeit a short one and there was no collateral damage involved.

ps: Works wonders on powder coats too.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the serious side, not working on the Fieros (but could have been) I was cleaning out core plug holes with a wire brush in an air die grinder. I was wearing safety glasses, but a bristle came off, went through the lower lid of the eye, into the eye itself. Lost the sight in that eye due to infection from bacteria carried into the eye on the bristle, NOT directly the injury.

Ten years later, under a truck, busting main caps loose on a Detroit, 24" breaker bar. feet up on the chassis, both hands on the bar, jerk for all you are worth. The socket end on the extension (3" Craftsman) split, breaker bar butt end hit me in the eye, and crushed it. They had to remove it then, REAL luck it was the same eye.

Slowly, I get smarter as I get older.

I believe it was Otto Von Bismark who said "Others may lean from there mistakes - I try to lean from the mistakes of others."

Mike
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got silicone spray in one eye once. And for about ten mins it blinked faster then the other. Craziest filling ever. Didn't hurt just so weird to have one eye lid close a millisecond faster then the othe
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

I was frighten one day by a huge spider. We had a Mexican standoff for a few seconds before he made a break for it. The only thing in arms reach was a can of aircraft paint remover. Lets just say it was a day he'll never forget albeit a short one and there was no collateral damage involved.

ps: Works wonders on powder coats too.

Spoon

I once caught a tarantula in our driveway. I trapped it in 2 styrofoam cups. Popped a hole in one of the cups and dropped a firecracker in. It blew the cups into bits, but the tarantula made it through in one piece. It stood there like it was stunned for 30 seconds or so then it took off like a shot, lol.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At work once I had a drill bit snap and managed to get a vein in my finger impaled on the sharp protruding piece. Shot blood a good 2 feet. Got 2 stitches, no probs.
A week later I washed my hands with acetone then walked a good 100 feet outside the factory to have a cigarette. Acetone usually dries in that time. Set both hands on fire.

Upside, I didn't have to get the stitches removed when I was in the ER.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't do this undo your trunk lid springs without extra care of rear window. I had the socket itself come apart from the ratchet and shot off making a tiny crack in rear window and within minutes whole rear window went to a billion pieces.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While loading our new 88 onto the trailer, I grabbed the rim and was rocking the car back and forth to get it over the little bump where the tire sits. When the car finally went everything went into slow-mo because as the car went back, the rim rotated and my fingers got stuck between the rim and caliper and i couldn't stop it. I thought for sure I’d lost a couple fingers and grabbed my hand and just held it afraid to look… started shaking and my legs got all rubbery. When I finally looked I was surprised to see everything where it belonged, minus the skin on the front and back of 3 knuckles!! They were bloody but were still attached so I really lucked out. That was a month and a half ago and I still have raw spots….Won’t be that stupid again!
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:
Won’t be that stupid again!

Well you say that now

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had flames shoot out the nozzle of a can of WD-40.....oh wait...that was on purpose. Ok well then I had an anthill in my back yard catch on fire...oh wait...that was on purpose too.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
I once caught a tarantula in our driveway. I trapped it in 2 styrofoam cups. Popped a hole in one of the cups and dropped a firecracker in. It blew the cups into bits, but the tarantula made it through in one piece. It stood there like it was stunned for 30 seconds or so then it took off like a shot, lol.

HA!

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 10-24-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

Boy. You wanna talk about some pain? I bought one o' them linoleum knives the other day, you know?

So, I go home, you know, and I spread my toes apart and I just start sawing, back and forth and back and forth, you know?
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FTF Engineering

710 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:
Won’t be that stupid again!

Yes you will. We all will.

[This message has been edited by FTF Engineering (edited 10-24-2013).]

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So...I am pulling the rear cradle bolts out of a parts car to recover the aluminum cradle bushings. My thoughts on leverage...the weight of the car is pushing down on the cradle, and the rear suspension pushes up on the cradle...therefore, in idle position, the cradle is being forced against the car....right? So...while it is sitting on the ground, I can pull the rear cradle bolts, then jack up the car to remove the upper parts of the aluminum bushings.

DON"T DO THIS. The logic is wrong. The suspension pushes up on the SPRINGS, not the cradle. As soon as you pull that second rear cradle bushing, you will have the weight of the drivetrain crushing your hand between the ground and the impact wrench. It will hurt...very bad.

Fortunately, I wasn't alone. Larry was here to point and laugh...then use the jack to lift it back off my hand. Also, very fortunately, nothing is broken...just bruised all to hell. So...in the end...we can all laugh at my stupidity.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 10-24-2013).]

tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's good that you had someone there with you. Nothing worse than getting injured in a stupid way and not having someone to laugh at you.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
simple green in a 55 gal steel barrel= a huge freakin mess that took 3 days to clean up.

didnt know it could eat through steel, guess thats why it was delivered in plastic barrel.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

So, I go home, you know, and I spread my toes apart and I just start sawing, back and forth and back and forth, you know?

Boy, I hate it when THAT happens! LOL

Jonathan

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't happen to me but rather a friend of mine. He was outside splitting wood on a hydraulic splitter. One piece didn't split all the way down and he grabbed it to pull it apart. Backed off the splitter and the log immediately took on its original state. Luckily his phone was in his jacket pocket, with his free hand he called his wife to come out and help him, that's all he said. She apparently didn't sense the urgency so finished up what she was doing and took about 10 minutes to get outside The log was to big and awkward for him to carry himself so he had to wait. About fifteen minutes later with the help of a crow bar he was free, no real damage, just a lot of pain I guess. I still laugh about that story.
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sold an old Ford F250 a while back but I dropped the price if I could keep the wheels that were on it. Well my wife was helping me and putting the lug nuts on one truck while I was placing the tire on the rear axle of the other truck and the truck decided to roll backwards off of the bottle jack and pinned my left hand between the wheel well and the tire right where my wrist meets my hand. My wife can't see me so screams asking if I was okay. I apparently didn't answer fast enough because I had to think about the question because I didn't know. Turns out I was ok but I was stuck. I could not stand so I had to kneel there while my brother in law hobbled over (he was on crutches) with a floor jack which he could not get in a good place since the axle was on the ground. Luckily some people were near by and came over to help lift the truck up just enough for me to get my hand free. I has a scratch on the back of my hand and it was swollen slightly from blood not circulating out of the hand but that went away shortly after. I ended up throwing away that bottle jack...

Ben
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in Auto Tech class in High School, we were moving this K5 Blazer with a pair of floor jacks under each differential. I was standing by the L/F wheel guiding it when the front jack gave way. The wheel came down on the laces of my shoe. I was fortunate enough that I had tried to pull my foot back but was only able to move my entire foot into the back half of my shoe. I still have no idea how I folded my foot in half to get it out of the way, but it was just enough!
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:
Boy, I hate it when THAT happens! LOL

Haha!! There ya go!

I was starting to wonder if anyone was going to recognize the reference. You da man!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock