I hate Alternators!!!!!! by J-Holland
Started on: 10-22-2013 07:59 PM
Replies: 16 (478 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 10-24-2013 05:31 AM
J-Holland

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why is it that the automatic Fieros require not only you but a clone as well, to change them out?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
McTamney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McTamneySend a Private Message to McTamneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4 cyl or v6?
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm feelin' ya. Just changed out one on my '87 GT a few weeks back. I'm sure the gurus here know of a better way than what I did.
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHEELWELL or through top...either way, I got someone else to help me, I woulda done more damage than necessary, eek.
J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V-6. I disconnected the tie-rod at the joint and was able to remove the alternator. I set up the bracket and then put the alternator back into positon, I thought. i have the adjustment bolt in Place but I can't seem to get the flange on the top to line up so that I can finish bolting up the alternator and hook up the electrical connectors. Once I get that accomplished, i can have it bolted back up in 30 minutes.

I probably wouldn't be so Ticked off except that a friend of mine and i just replaced what we believe to have been the original unit only 2 weeks ago. Today, he wasn't available.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been there and done that. I have two V6 Fiero auto's so I have done this job 4-5 times now. And my luck was worse. Yours lasted two weeks? That's nothing. Mine lasted all of 10 minutes after I just put it in there. Typically this is about a 3 hour job if you're good at it. Its a 4 hour job if your a rookie. By the way, it does help if you get alternator in first, rest it on the cradle, install alternator bracket and then position and bolt up the alternator. (in this sequence)
Even more helpful is to upgrade to the CS series alternator as described in Ogre's Cave. Just make sure you order an alternator for an 88.
Kit
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had heard how hard they are to replace. I have to replace my 2.8 when I bought it due to a blown engine. Directly swapped in another 2.8, but made sure to put a brand new alternator on the engine before dropping it in
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The alternator and bracket are pulled and reinstalled as a unit.

Takes about an hour........
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's fairly simple with the manual from the bottom.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
he best method I found was to lower it down to the floor and recover it from the rear to install I placed a piece of string from the top at the trunk and fed the other end through the top hole in the alternator then I climbed in to the trunk and hauled the alternator up till I could hold it in my hands and then removed the string and bolted in place

takes longer to explain this than doing the job

jon
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The alternator and bracket are pulled and reinstalled as a unit.

Takes about an hour........

I had to do it that way on mine the first time, since the upper bolt was broken off (or seized?) in the bracket. Mine's an '88 though so at least the alternator is a tiny bit smaller than the earlier SI versions.

Raise the rear of the car and remove the wheels on both sides. Unbolt the swaybar endlinks on both sides and swing the swaybar up. This will give a little more room. Disconnect the rear suspension lateral link at the passenger-side knuckle and swing it down and out of the way. This gives a little more room. Now there's plenty of room for the '88 alternator and bracket to come out. You'll have to turn it various different ways to get it out but it will come. I don't remember if it was easier to have the bracket come first, or the alternator.

Keep in mind that's on an '88 with automatic. The 85-87 V6 of course has different suspension.

The second time I had to do it, I timed myself. One hour, start to finish.

PFF
System Bot
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

he best method I found was to lower it down to the floor and recover it from the rear to install I placed a piece of string from the top at the trunk and fed the other end through the top hole in the alternator then I climbed in to the trunk and hauled the alternator up till I could hold it in my hands and then removed the string and bolted in place

takes longer to explain this than doing the job

jon

Glad you sped that up by eliminating the punctuation.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have gotten fairly good at it as I have replaced a number of them over the years. I still end up swearing a bunch each time.

I find the 88's worse, as it is a bit more difficult to work the thing through the suspension.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It amazes me to hear how much trouble everyone is having replacing an alternator on an automatic car. I changed out the alternator on an 86 SE V6 in about a half hour. Disconnected the dogbone, and put a scissor jack in between the two mounting points. Used it to pivot the engine toward the firewall, and the alternator came right out through the top. I had to finesse it a bit to get it past the transmission, but it was nothing really major.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll keep my 5-speed, one man job, right out the bottom.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so do i i made a custom bracket to keep belt tight.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

so do i i made a custom bracket to keep belt tight.

Your kidding right. ---- Rodney and Dodge Runner make an idler pulley and Rodney makes a reinforcement bracket for the alternator. Both easy to find by using the search feature.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock