Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Popular Mechanics Article on Future Collectible Vehicles by Jay Leno

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Popular Mechanics Article on Future Collectible Vehicles by Jay Leno by canfirst
Started on: 10-22-2013 07:00 PM
Replies: 7 (785 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 10-23-2013 07:13 AM
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting article.
The Fiero is not listed, but the Pontiac Aztek is mentioned as a collectible vehicle!
It would be interesting to know what Jay's view of the Fiero might be as a collectible car?

http://www.popularmechanics...ars/jay-leno/4312877
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well to be totally honest, the most collectable cars in the world are the ones that are thrown away and forgotten forever. So keeping that in mind, How many guys on this forum have a cherry 84 indy with all the plastic on the seats or a 87 GT with 250miles on it? at least a dozen right. Now show me 1 just one Pontiac Aztec in the same condition?
does it have the book that shows you how to pop out that goofy tent???

Fast forward 40 years from today, How many forum members will have held on to there cherished 84 SE or 88 Formula. then how many Azteks will there be??? makes sence Mint Fieros will outnumber Mint Aztecks 20-1 in 40 years

Just saying

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still wouldn't give the Aztec the time of day or space, sheesh.
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only way I would want one is if it was Walter White's from Breaking Bad.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep the Fiero is a special car but not one that will gain much in value as time passes. Just too many of them built and too many left compared with demand.

On the other hand odd cars like the Daytona Superbird where difficult for dealers to sell and today people will give their left nut for one.

The Aztek is like the Pacer. Once the Pacer was the car the kid in school drove and even if you did not like him you felt bad for him. Today the Pacer in good condition is hard to find and there is more demand than cars left. While you may not get rich on one they may sell for 3-4 times what they cost new in good condition. they even are making toy Pacers now and that never happened back in the day.

Classics and collectable can not be created. They happen based on supply demand and public opinion as whole. I am not going to say the Fiero can not make this class but it also takes time to make this class. Keep in mind how long they were taking 55 Chevys and chopping them up for stock cars well into the late 70's before people thought they were cool and demand rose to the point the value stopped the trashing of the cars.

The Fiero may or may not ever have this happen but of many of the cars of the 80's it stands a better shot than most of the many unforgettable cars they had. 30 years is not a long time in classic car age and like wine it takes time for some models to mature.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieros were collectible when they came out... probably the worst car for a collector to consider appreciating more than it costs to store....
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think one of the things that actually hurts the Fiero for collectible status is the fact that its design stood the test of time so well. I have several young boys in my neighborhood that think I collect high dollar exotics. They are shocked to hear that the cars are 30 years old. An 80s Camaro on the other hand, looks it's age. A Grand National, one of the most collectible cars from the 80s, screams 80s with it's boxy style. Same with the fox body Mustangs. The Fiero doesn't really show it's hard edges until I park it next to my friend's Lotus Elise.

I do notice more kids getting into them in recent years...and that goes a long way toward increasing the public's desire for the Fiero. With that in mind...I think Kathryn DiMaria is doing more to increase the value of Fieros than anyone else on the forum.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I fully agree the design has stood the test of time so has the Ferrari 275 NART spider too. But for years no one wanted them and you could buy them fairly cheap.

Today because of the great styling and the fact only 10 were made they just sold one for $27.2 Million Dollars.

On the other hand the 1978 Indy pace car Vettes were sold for big money back in the day as many speculated it would be the one Corvette to reach $100K in the near future. But GM along the way made over 6,500 plus units and killed the supply as it out stripped demand. Today you can pick up low mileage models for around $30K which Is good for a 78 Vette but far from the original predictions.

The key with our cars is supply as we are not like a 69 Trans Am with just over 600 units made or the 6 convertible models. Same as the low volume Trans Am Super Duties as they are limited in number and more people want them than how many were made.

Styling is going to keep us in the game but until were is much less supply or much more demand it is what it is.

Life preservers were cheap when the Titanic hit the ice berg but after they were all gone the last few demanded a high price.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock