Tail light lens? by fierogtlt1
Started on: 10-20-2013 03:41 PM
Replies: 15 (1410 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 10-23-2013 03:33 PM
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a pic of just the tail light lens of a Fiero GT? And from both sides please.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

more images here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...C-side-/111192353994

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE / 3800 s/c
Fieros For Sale

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 10-20-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank You very much mrfred8.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

more images here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...C-side-/111192353994

MrFred8/Jeff do me a favor and PM me at your earliest convenience. I just want to make sure that you have my correct shipping address

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

MrFred8/Jeff do me a favor and PM me at your earliest convenience. I just want to make sure that you have my correct shipping address

Not mine, just a photo I found on ebay.

Although I do have an extra PON tail light that I am hanging on to. I have it sitting on a bookshelf, I am thinking of wiring up some bulbs for it and using it as a lamp.

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 10-21-2013).]

jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Does anyone have a pic of just the tail light lens of a Fiero GT? And from both sides please.

just out of curiosty - what are you planning???

jon
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

just out of curiosty - what are you planning???

jon

Making a mold for lenses then pouring in clear casting resin to make tail light lenses.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just make copies with heated lexan ?
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Why not just make copies with heated lexan ?

Lexan it too damn expensive.I tried that already with heat gun and a wooden buck.

It is super clear 17 casting resin.It gels in 10 minutes,cures in 24 hours,does not yellow and cures to a 80D optical clear plastic.
So it would be great for "Tail Light Lenses" and also for "Sail Panels".

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 10-21-2013).]

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What sort of condition do you want?
Perfect, unbroken, delamanated which?
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

What sort of condition do you want?
Perfect, unbroken, delamanated which?

I was just looking for pics to see the backside of lens where it clips into the rest of the tail light housing.Because I am going to make a mold of them to make new lenses as shown above with the resin.

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

I was just looking for pics to see the backside of lens where it clips into the rest of the tail light housing.Because I am going to make a mold of them to make new lenses as shown above with the resin.

I applaud your efforts... but I have to say I am a little skeptical that this will work. The lenses have many curves to them. How will you keep the lexan the correct thickness at the "higher" and not pool "lower" areas. Also there is a lip all the way around, there are clips, the lettering is a different thickness and many other small things.

Again, if you can do this, it would be amazing! It just seems just so complex to pour in a liquid plastic into a mold to reproduce a part like this.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive made lexan headlite covers with more complex curves over a shaped styrofoam block. I made 6 pairs out of one sheet that cost me about $80. I kept one set for mine and sold the other 2 sets locally for $100 a set.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish you the best in this project

jon
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ive made lexan headlite covers with more complex curves over a shaped styrofoam block. I made 6 pairs out of one sheet that cost me about $80. I kept one set for mine and sold the other 2 sets locally for $100 a set.

I am not trying to run down your effort, not in any way. I just think there is a LOT more to being able to reproduce these than simply making a mold, and pouring in plastic and letting it harden.

There is a lot more on the lenses than just complex curves. There are 2 different densities and colors of plastic. There are also quite a number of clips around the edges that need to flex to mount to the rest of the housing. Then there are the PON TIAC letters, that are in fact like lenses that distribute the light correctly. Then, all but the PON TIAC lettering, would have to be coated / masked off from the inside.

All of this and just a simple bubble somewhere in the process would make the set unappealing to most buyers.

When the The Fiero Store made reproductions, they had a tough time selling sets that were 99% accurate. They just had VERY small imperfections in the T and P lettering on their lenses, that you had to get within 1 foot of the lens to even be able to notice it.

That being said, If and when you are able to make accurate replacements, I would be the first in line to buy a pair!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 10-23-2013).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im just going by the pic. Looked like it was flat, convex curve all across and rounded in edges. I never took them apart...I just replaced the whole thing. GT 40s is a convex 'bubble' and just has small screws around the perimeter. They were clear, I dont know what Fiero ones are like...I assumed they were just dark tinted all over..again since I never took one apart. From what your describing, sounds like the only way to make them is liquid plastic injection molding. I doubt just pouring it into a mold wont go everywhere and needs pressure to push it in.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock