Started on: 10-20-2013 02:17 PM
Replies: 10 (596 views)
Last post by: 1fast2m4 on 10-22-2013 10:38 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to delete the fender antennae on the Rottinchop. Has anyone used a shark fin type? Any suggestions or pitfalls I should avoid?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the shark fin antennae but for deleting the fender antenna, a number of people have taken it off the fender mount and placed it inside the fender, over top of the wheel well. That way there's no visible antenna.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-071929.html
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: Looks like Formula88 and I posted at the same time, it just took me longer to type it out I guess! LOL

I do not know much about reception on the shark fin antenna's -vs- standard. I do know I have seen people simply hide the whip antennae. Take the fender off, and simply slide the antennae up the A pillar, and done! No further modifications other than filling the antennae hole. I have seen quite a few Fieros done like this, and everyone says the reception is the same.

Again, not much help with the posted question, but I do offer options

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 10-20-2013).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am utilizing the following G6 antenna for radio and GPS:

in combination with:

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 10-20-2013).]

jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does that plug into a radio? I will need to know I guess lol I think it will look good on the roof having the shark fin. I wonder if there is dual use fins that have gps provisions too I just had a idea, John have you seen the aftermarket onstar setups from gm? that may be the way to go!
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done the in-the-fender mod.

If I were to do it again, I would hide it in the A pillar. Someone here has done that in a chop top - F355Spyder's old silver chop top - and it seems like a better idea than hiding it in the fender since it's still kind of up in the air so to speak.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the in-fender mod seems to be the most cost effective way to go.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done the antenna delete on both of my daily drivers. Just cut off the triangle base of the antenna and shove it straight up the a-pillar. Fill the hole in the fender and viola done.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TXOPIE, how well does that shark fin work for regular radio reception? Reason I ask is that it's been my understanding that GM cars use the shark fin for OnStar and/or GPS, but not radio. I know from experience that the G6 models (except for the convertibles) used a wire on the rear window for radio antenna. It looked like the rear window defogger, but was at the top of the window above the defogger.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2013 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

TXOPIE, how well does that shark fin work for regular radio reception? Reason I ask is that it's been my understanding that GM cars use the shark fin for OnStar and/or GPS, but not radio. I know from experience that the G6 models (except for the convertibles) used a wire on the rear window for radio antenna. It looked like the rear window defogger, but was at the top of the window above the defogger.

It doesn't work well for AM/FM radio, because the GPS and Cellular that those antennas are for, are on wildly different frequencies from AM/FM radio. The shark-fin isn't tuned for the frequencies. You need the mast antenna for AM/FM. Or you need a shark-fin style off a different car, like the Mini Cooper, which had the shark fin a s a plastic cover, and a short mast antenna that screwed into the top of it.

There are also some aftermarket shark fin style antennas that can be used for FM, but mostly they are not built for it.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "Shark Fin" is for XM on most Pre-05 cars. if you want to delete your antenna mast you can lay it down under the fender, or as bad as it sounds hooking the antenna up to the rear window defoger will work better for AM/FM than the "Shark Fin" (disconnect the defroster 1st)

Most cars that only have a "shark fin" on the roof, you'll notice that they have AM/FM antennas built into a window very similar to a defoger

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave