Hello, Newbie GT Owner by GT87
Started on: 10-13-2013 04:59 PM
Replies: 5 (228 views)
Last post by: GT87 on 10-14-2013 09:27 PM
GT87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT87Send a Private Message to GT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all!
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a nice 87 GT I saw last week. Very clean car overall and was looking for something for my son to drive when he gets his license next summer. So another project of sorts since we just finished my Jeep.
A little overall on the car
87 GT 2.8
5 Speed
Maroon and Silver (oxidation in typical areas)

I have done a lot of searching through the forum over the weekend and have a list of small fixes and what/how to check for issues of the electrical nature.
Misc smalls like a 30 Amp Breaker for the power locks, Temp and oil gauge type issues.

I have done extensive searching on the high idle and am now in the process of checking for vacuum leaks. I managed to wiggle the valve cover line back into proper seating and now have it idling around 1100 RPM's. Much better so far than the 15-1800 that it was. I have found that if I wiggle the line that attaches to the throttle body, it will drop down to 900 RPM's for a small while then slowly climb back up.
When tinkering with it earlier I noticed a Hose (5/8"?) running along the firewall the hose is metal. Once it runs up the firewall it turns towards the motor (valve cover area) and then turns to a rubber hose. That hose is cut off. I can find nothing to attach another end to. (I will get a pic)
As well when driving yesterday the rt front started popping on every bump possible. I have read and "Hope" its only a ball joint needing grease or a say bar connect or something easy.

I look forward to any suggestions or ideas. I do not know much yet but read a lot and catch up quick.

My immediate need and I will be searching for. Safe Jacking Locations under the car. I read that there are specific areas to and not to jack it due to coolant lines.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The metal line is from the old pcv system, it was disconnected and rerouted as part of a recall years ago. An easy way to check for vacuum leaks is to spray carb cleaner around the lines, etc and see if the idle is affected at all. Be careful to stay away from the hot parts so you don't start a fire.

Also be sure to check the air box for leaves and other debris, this is a well documented issue that has resulted in many fires. There are a few recent threads that show how to do this.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 10-13-2013).]

GT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT87Send a Private Message to GT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Welcome to the Forum!

Thanks for the diagram. I guess my search for this one left me at a loss. Now to set it on stands and see if I can find what is popping.

Thanks for the Welcome.
This place is rather addictive on information.

[This message has been edited by GT87 (edited 10-13-2013).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just my two cents on jacking it up and placing of jack stands. I lift car by putting floor jack directly in the middle back area of cradle (where it curves) and then put the jack stands on the flat area of the cradle on either side. Before I set the car down on the jack stands I put a one inch thick 3x5 piece of wood between the jack stand and the cradle. This distributes/spreads out the load. For the front I put a 2x4 (about 6-10 inches long) over the middle area of the crossmember and lift . Then I put the jack stands on the outer areas of the crossmember. Lastly, always make sure you chock the opposite side of the car before doing any lifting.
Kit
GT87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT87Send a Private Message to GT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Just my two cents on jacking it up and placing of jack stands. I lift car by putting floor jack directly in the middle back area of cradle (where it curves) and then put the jack stands on the flat area of the cradle on either side. Before I set the car down on the jack stands I put a one inch thick 3x5 piece of wood between the jack stand and the cradle. This distributes/spreads out the load. For the front I put a 2x4 (about 6-10 inches long) over the middle area of the crossmember and lift . Then I put the jack stands on the outer areas of the crossmember. Lastly, always make sure you chock the opposite side of the car before doing any lifting.
Kit

Thanks for the input! After working on my Jeep for the past year I was looking to put this on JAck Stands for the winter so I had something crawl up on and under. I will use the wood ideas though as it will be on stands for the winter.
Side note after reading and researching here. I did find my HUGE vacuum leak. EGR tube. Going to soak the nuts down with some PB for a few days and hope for the best.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock