3.4 Turbo gets a 4T60 and a 7730 ECM with DIS by JCircs
Started on: 10-13-2013 11:12 AM
Replies: 16 (1173 views)
Last post by: ragging_fiero on 12-09-2013 09:03 PM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my very clean 50k mile 87 GT with a 3.4pr and a Precision turbo.

The time has come to drop the cradle again (hopefully the last time) and install a 4T60 with a 3.33 final drive along with a 7730 ECM and DIS, I had a new main harnes with all the correct plugs made by Red Devil River (phonedawgz) and also purchased all the hardware and software to log, tune and burn the chips for the 7730 from Moates. The transmission and all parts needed for the swap were purchased from Josef644 and was pelleted and shipped by Fastenal from Texas to NJ for $125, can't beat that.

Saturday we dropped the cradle and removed the transmission and the turbo setup.

Then bolted in the 4T60

Have some things to do today but plan on finishing up later this afternoon, I will post more later

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 10-13-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome combination of parts.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have my turbo installed for about a year now and I thought it was doing its job, but let me tell you!!!! Im not sure what happened here, it could be the 7730 and DIS or the base program that's in it but this car just turned into a beast! Not even joking this thing puts you back in your seat. And I have a forth gear now, I need to trouble shoot the erratic shift points but besides that the transplant went well.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changing from a distributer to DIS gets you a stronger spark, which definitely helps when you're running boost.
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, make sure that the TV throttle cable is correctly adjusted. You want it to be pulled to its limit when the throttle is wide open.

Second, if my memory serves, the 90 Grand Prix turbo had its own part number for the vacuum modulator. The old one isn't designed with boost in mind. You might want to replace it anyway, eventhough yours looks brand new.

Go easy on it for the time being. You want to get those larger injectors in!

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 10-23-2013).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierobsessed you are the man!
Pro-King auto transmission vacuum modulator,
part number MD-28 for a 1990 Grand Prix Turbo.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 10-23-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can see the smile on your face from here!!
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope you realize this has less to do with the transmission and more to do with the fact that the Fiero ECM has no business running a turbo...
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

I can see the smile on your face from here!!

From ear to ear, very satisfying moment.
And yes I do realize it's not the transmission, I would imagine it's a combination of the 7730, DIS and the tune.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got in and working good?
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes Joe its in and working, just need to install the new vacuum modulator because I'm running a turbo. One of the axles were packaged wrong and didn't fit, correct box wrong axle. I purchased another one locally and I was good to go. Thanks again.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2013 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yours sounds like a ride which would be great fun!

I see from earlier in your thread that you'd obtained that -7730 ECM and its wiring harness from phonedawgs.

I've heard of several good things about those parts.

Your story, happily, appears to be yet another warranting those favorable comments..

I'm thinking I should do something similar electronically, for my owm non-turbo, December 2006, 3.4L daily-driver engine swap.

Thanks for the info.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking about a 7730 with DIS for my 3.4 in my 88 Coupe.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-27-2013).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2013 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased the 7730 and DIS along with every part, plug and sensor needed from member Patch, he had a complete drop out. The harness came from Phonedawgz and the transmission was a complete setup with everything needed from Josef644. Man this forum makes things easy, all great guys who have helped every step of the way. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Edit to add, tomorrow the 24lb cobra injectors go in along with a Fiero store fuel regulator and gauge and next week Rob Ida a famous tuner at englistown who has been tuning for 40 years will be dyno tuning my car.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 10-30-2013).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is it that "The Fiero Store" fuel regulator gauge interferes with the brake vacuum connection? Anyway regulator, gauge and 24lb Cobra injectors installed.
ragging_fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragging_fieroSend a Private Message to ragging_fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to do this kind of swap as well! Just accumulating the parts slowly. I hope it went well!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock