Started on: 10-13-2013 07:56 AM
Replies: 110 (9734 views)
Last post by: wftb on 03-27-2016 04:57 PM
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year is your Fiero? The 88 Fiero has the better suspension, but the 84-87 Fieros can be just as good if you put some time and work into them. Why did you choose the F23 motor? Not trying to bash or anything, just curious what the deciding factors were for you. I hope to see this finished, it looks like you made a significant amount of progress. Do you plan on making some coil overs while you have the cradle down? If you haven't already purchased your ball joints, get them from Rodney Dickman, he makes the best ball joints for the Fiero. http://rodneydickman.com/ca...ndex.php?cPath=26_44

For those unfamiliar with Honda motors and some of their potential when in a mid engined car. Caution: there is an MR2 in the video below.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 04-20-2014).]

IP: Logged
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally debated an H22 in my Fiero, among other Honda motors. Settled on the motor I did for ease of install. I wish you the best of luck with this swap, it should prove to be interesting!
Zeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something else that there doing for mr2's.

------------------

1988 Fiero 2.5

[This message has been edited by Zeak (edited 04-20-2014).]

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Found a pic of the trans.

Hahahaha GOOD LUCK getting this shift link to work...

The hondas use a dual rod setup that connects the shifter directly to the transmission from behind it... In this case you are going to have to attach the transmission shift linkage from behind the motor, and transfer it on top of the gas tank... You could attempt to build an adapter that operates it via cable, but you are going to need cables double the length of stock, and a bunch of engineeering to manufacture a "select" system via cable.

Complete waste of time compared to the tried and true GM swaps out here...

In for "this project will never be finished".

Getting the shifter linkage to work properly is pretty easy actually. The H series transmissions do NOT use a dual rod setup, they use two cables just like the Fiero. You can probably even use the original Fiero cables and just run them to the front of the transmission.

Here is how I adapted the H trans for my application. I removed the select shaft from the trans (just a few bolts removes the housing and then remove the pin and it comes out), and re-clocked the arm the cable attaches to. For the shift cable I built a very basic bell crank that mounts to the original shifter cable mount.

Looking forward to more progress on this.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Frank2 , great 1st post, wishing you success on your project.

I'll be watching also !

Here's my TDI conversion that bmwguru created.

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see another step outside the box and do it there way dont wory how worry how long it takes due to some times life puts our projects on hold
Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy to see this is still going! I'll be watching. Good stuff.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the more interesting build threads. Enjoying following along. Keep those pics coming.

Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I decided to modify the cradle again as well as re-design my rear motor mount.
Changed from forced induction (turbo) to naturally aspirated.
And fabricated the exhaust system.
I deleted the HVAC and stock dash.
Cut a hole in the hood to vent the radiator.

It consists of an eBay header (why pay more for something I planned to chop up)
a 2" to 3" cone adapter
3" v band clamp
3" Magnaflow Stainless muffler
3" Summit Racing glasspack
18 ga sheet metal gussets

I also painted the valve cover metallic blue (a GM color apparently)

I have been toying with the idea of a future "rear" mount turbo, mounted above the rear crossmember of the engine cradle to allow gravity drain oil return, but that will have to wait until the car runs and drives.

My next major hurdles include:
Custom axles (fiero outers and honda inners)
Accord shifter mounted inside the car
Transmission shifter linkage as pictured above
Front radiator venting out the hood
Stiffer springs (350 lb/in)
Neptune honda engine management
Clutch/Pressure plate/Flywheel
Send the head for machining
Assemble the Frankenstein motor/ Timing belt ect.
AEM UEGO for air fuel monitoring
Honda Gauges
Custom Sheetmetal dash
Kemp3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2014 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kemp3Send a Private Message to Kemp3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the Axles call Frank at the Driveshaft shop - I have a NSX 5 speed in my car and he provided me the axles.

check out http://www.14point7.com/ for WBO2 options , I use 2 Spartan Lambda sensors for my install , durable , space saving and cost effective.

Swap looks good so far keep it up

-Kemp
FieroCustom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCustomClick Here to visit FieroCustom's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroCustomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How's the swap going? Following this one intently.

------------------
John
1955 Chevrolet 210 4 door Sedan (Shopping list in progress)
1988 SE seized duke...next engine...1996 LQ1 found
~Future 1990 Fiero Clone?
1988 T-Top Coupe, Now a 5 speed!
1986 SE Project Mayhem, mint interior
2013 Honda Odyssey

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a really cool build! I can't believe the negativity I'm seeing in here. The guy obviously has the time, money and skill to tackle a job like this. We should be encouraging people like this and brainstorming to overcome problems, instead of telling them what is and isn't a good way to spend their money.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This forum is funny, threads sometimes get crazy responses, somehow a different engine swap hurts peoples feelings. I think we are getting better, I was reading a archived ecotec thread the other day with much more hate for a gm engine.

I wouldn't do this swap because it doesn't bolt to the fiero transmission, the axles are expensive and the ecotec is capable of what you say you want from this engine.

I may have missed it, but what are you planning on running for the ecm?
FieroCustom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCustomClick Here to visit FieroCustom's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroCustomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude, what's going on with the swap? Haven't seen anything in a while, so I thought I'd poke the fire.
Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the head back from machining, cleaned all the other parts and put the top end together. Waiting on a new water pump and balance shaft tensioner pulley before timing the motor.

You can see the two oil drain ports plugged on the right side of the head.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Frank2 (edited 10-04-2014).]

Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Frank2

18 posts
Member since Oct 2013
I am waiting on a 8lb flywheel, and aggressive clutch and pressure plate before I can mate the engine and transmission in the cradle, everything else is just finishing touches. (there is a LOT left to be done, but once the drivetrain is installed I hope it should go rather quickly)
Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Frank2

18 posts
Member since Oct 2013
As for the ECU, since it is essentially a 2.3L h22 I heard I could run a stock h22 (p72, I think) ecu. Instead I have installed Neptune in an ecu and am using a regular d series harness (all obd1 Honda stuff is practically interchangeable) I'll have to add the VTEC circuitry but that's about it and the only feature I lack is knock, however I read that the knock sensor does not override timing if you're in VTEC, (so effective all the time, lol) also, given the features of my build (stock block, stock pistons, oem head gasket) I should only be around 9.0:1 compression (for the future addition of a turbocharger. Also, the neptune allows for "self tuning" with the 1-5v analog input from my AEM UEGO air fuel gauge. All of that in consideration, my plan is to start with an h22 base map and add a small amount of timing. Use the AEM UEGO to keep track of my air fuel ratio and drive it. It won't be making 200hp, but it should make more than 150, and it's lighter than the 2.5 so it should make for a pretty fun street car. I was also very dissapointed to find out that SCCA classing rules essentially put this car in a class that it won't possiblly be competitive in, but it should still be a great time.
Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did some welding on the engine cradle

Junkyard intake

I installed the fidanza 8lb flywheel and spec stage 2 clutch good for 300ft/lbs and mated the engine to tranny in the cradle

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love it! It's always nice to see something different.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I love it! It's always nice to see something different.

Agreed!

Originally posted by Zeak:

Something else that there doing for mr2's.

Here's a build thread of sorts for that:
http://www.mr2.com/forums/t...sa-engine-swap/page4

Nice to see my idea of two transmissions worked, now I don't have to spend the time/money doing it myself
Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This project isn't dead! I just have not updated this post. Some of my pictures are too large to post, sadly.

So I went to a show in Albany Wednesday and decided to use that as an excuse to take Thursday and Friday off work, with the intention of getting the ECU wired and making the car road-worthy.
Long story short that plan went to **** . Got the car legal and on the road, but broke 3/4 brake bleeder screws and spent the rest of my long weekend doing brakes. Scored a brand new looking caliper at the junkyard, as well as the other front. I also replaced the Fiero shifter cables with Accord parts because mine were 2 feet too long and wouldn't work.... figured this out after I modified the accord shifter linkage, of course. Went to autobone and got a replacement rear caliper as well as all new rotors and pads. That left me butt-hurt and I spent the rest of the weekend installing that **** . I made a throttle linkage, but its ghetto as ****, so bad I don't want to share until I fix it. Pics or it didn't happen....

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very good!
Of course, now that you've posted pics, everyone will be clamoring for video.
Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bit of an update. I had some issues with the cooling system, apparently it doesn't work at all when you have the feed/return ports reversed. D'oh. Also, I pulled the motor to fix some leaks and take care of maintenance. In the process of doing so, I also figured out why it runs like poop.  No idea how it even ran, let alone the pistons didn't say hello to the valves. The exhaust cam is like 3 teeth retarded, and that's what the distributor is attached to.

Fuel pressure tranducer for future digital dash, and so I can data log because I think I still have fueling issues.

Finished product

"Strut Brace" (really its just to support the front sheet metal behind the headlights, because I removed so much of it) Also it was an experiment with McMaster Carr Welded tube nuts for the future tubular control arms with heim joints.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, that timing was close.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frank2:

Some of my pictures are too large to post, sadly.

Anyone who's clever enough to make a Honda engine work in a Fiero can certainly learn how to re-size an image.

IrfanView works great... and it's free.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just like a honda owner, cut the hell outa the car.
Frank2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2016 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank2Send a Private Message to Frank2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Anyone who's clever enough to make a Honda engine work in a Fiero can certainly learn how to re-size an image.

IrfanView works great... and it's free.

You're absolutely right. The problem is that I have multiple threads on forums, the good ones let me resize my images using HTML code. The great ones resize my images automatically for me. This forum does neither, however since you guys are probably most interested in the challenges I faced this chassis, I took a few minutes to resize and host all my images thus far. Sorry for the images that are redundant in this thread but consider this a recap from the beginning to where I am now.

When I picked up the car 9/13

Threw a rod on the third day of ownership

cut out the trunk, because racecar

also cut up the front sheet metal in an effort to evacuate the air going through the radiator

Picked up a junkyard F23A1 block for $75

And painted it

Started mocking up where things were going to fit in the engine bay, after removing more bracing

Added some 1" square tubing to add some structure to the rear again

Replaced the stock bushings with Poly and added all new ball joints, adjustable springs and KYB's

Installed with Stainless braided lines

Exhaust

Putting together the H22 head on the F23 block

[This message has been edited by Frank2 (edited 01-04-2016).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is some awesome work .Any updates ? Thanks for posting this .
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay