v8 archie kits with a/c question by bw03
Started on: 10-12-2013 06:21 PM
Replies: 6 (653 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 10-23-2013 11:34 AM
bw03

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bw03Send a Private Message to bw03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have any pics of all the brackets that come with the v8 archie kit for mounting the air conditioning compressor? Is all the brackets with the kit used since the kit supposedly works for all kinds if a/c units?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are 2 methods of mounting the AC.
The front engine mount has 2 mounting ears on the side (right side in pic) and the A/C compressor bolts directly to those ears on some installs.

There is also a supplied additional bracket like this. This is used when you need to shim the A/C compressor further to the front or if you need to shift it up or down (but you have to cut the ears off the engine bracket to use the bolt on bracket). Here is a picture of the Archie engine mount (A/C mount ears removed) and the bolt on A/C mount:

For my personal SBC swaps, I used the 4cyl A/C compressors and didn't need to use the additional bolt on bracket. On the last 2 customer cars, they used the V6 A/C compressors and had to use the additional bracket. So I suspect the bolt on bracket is for the V6 compressors and the 4 cyl compressors bolt directly to the Archie engine bracket.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-13-2013).]

bw03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bw03Send a Private Message to bw03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.
bw03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bw03Send a Private Message to bw03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more question. Are there any brackets used at the back of the compressor or is the two bolts up front good enough to hold the compressor on?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No rear support brackets come with the kit, but I fab up some on most of my installs. Here is a picture of the most recent one:

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I remember I used my V6 compressor with the direct bolt to bracket and no shims. Worked for over 10yrs now. But it is a poor design as the belt barely touches the A/C pulley and belt usually slips when it gets wet no matter how tight I get it.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Compressors are fairly generic. Doesn't matter if it came off of a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine. They interchange between engines. It's all about the mounting and connections...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock