Started on: 10-07-2013 12:04 PM
Replies: 5 (628 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 10-08-2013 07:51 AM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is trunk rust fixable? I was looking at buying a cheap Fiero that had a fair amount of holes in the trunk from rust(Some about 6-8 inches wide). Is there anything that can be done about it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would personally run away from it, it's not worth the time and effort IMO. If the trunk rust is as you describe, the frame rails are most likely gone as well, and I'm sure the cradle and strut towers are damaged as well. Ours cars can get eaten up pretty bad and you'll never know till it's too late.
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it can be fixed but with that many holes in the trunk there is probably a lot more rust on the car...... Check the frame rails.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Life is too short to buy rotted out Fiero's.

Take your time and really look around as there are good examples out there that come up for sale a reasonable prices in good condition.

By the time you fix the trunk you will find rust in other areas and have too much invested to bail.

The Fiero is getting to be like many other cars you are better off spending a little more up front than trying to cheap out and restore a heap. In many cases anymore buying the better car is getting to be the cheaper way out as so many people that redo many cars end up with more invested than If they bought the good car in the first place.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends what you're willing to do. It is quite fixable. My 84 (which saw Michigan winters) had a lot of sidewall damage in the trunk. But, from the strut towers forward, it was fine. As a matter of fact, the car has very little rust considering.

I just finished my rails...

Bob

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup, check the rest of the rear chassis. take off the rear wheel wells and look up there. Otherwise, if those are good, it is something you can repair with sheetmetal and glue/screws, if you want, or weld in a patch panel.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock