Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Best guess-timates??? How much does a stock RF fender weigh? :)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Best guess-timates??? How much does a stock RF fender weigh? :) by weloveour86se
Started on: 10-01-2013 07:33 PM
Replies: 11 (233 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 10-05-2013 12:01 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For shipping estimate from Maine to Fla. How much does it weigh? Have you shipped one? Any tips?

TY and HAGN!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your using UPS, go heavy (15#). Dimensional weight mainly.
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

If your using UPS, go heavy (15#). Dimensional weight mainly.

I must have superman strength cause I can hold a front fender up with my pinky. 15# is no where near the weight of a front fender. I just weighed 1 at 3# 9.6oz's round up to 4. Wrapped in bubble wrap... 5#'s

Measurements wrapped are in the ballpark of 51X29X10 and that's wrapped thick. You could also cut up cardboard and just tape it around the part for measurements around 50X27X8

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 10-01-2013).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea.. fiero fenders are light.... box it up good... their fragile
msrservices

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to ship a fender, but because the length of the box needed the shipping was more than I was selling the fender for.

I'm curious to know what you come up with.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol thanks everyone. I guess we will find out soon enough...

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

I tried to ship a fender, but because the length of the box needed the shipping was more than I was selling the fender for.

Thats common with larger stuff.
You can box it measure it and get an estimate from Fedex, or UPS online or call them. Its should be somewhat accurate.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup, sometimes the size will set the shipping weight. It is not ideal, but that is what they do.

It used to be with Fed Ex, that if you shipped multiple packages on one air bill, they went by weight, not size. Great for shipping body parts! I don't think they do that anymore, but you could ask. (BTW, the second box could be empty... and small).
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah about 4# sounds right, maybe 5# with aero. So 15# would be heavier than 5#, right?
On large dimension items, UPS (don't know about other shippers but ex-wife worked for UPS) goes by dimensions. A 24" cube has a minimum cost to ship. They don't go by strictly weight.
When you get estimate, play with weight, see if there is a difference and let us know, if you don't mind.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2013 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

I used to sell a lot on Ebay and Craigslist. The size or weight always killed me. I sold lots of stuff I lost money on selling because of the shipping. Now I ONLY sell heavy or bulky items local pick up only. Ive even bought things myself that I wanted to return and the cost was higher than keeping the item and throwing it away.

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried boxing up a fender a few years ago. The box turned out rather large. UPS wanted $80 IIRC within the US. I think bubble wrap and Greyhound might be an option. I am just worried about it getting damaged. First thing first is I need to find out how much it will cost just to ship it...

Greyhound is stepping up in the shipping game and I was told they will soon have digital tracking in place. IDK what soon means but it is what the station manager told me last time I shipped with them. I shipped a cradle to NY. Cost $80 IIRC.

edit..dang typos

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 10-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

I tried boxing up a fender a few years ago. The box turned out rather large. UPS wanted $80 IIRC within the US. I think bubble wrap and Greyhound might be an option. I am just worried about it getting damaged. First thing first is I need to find out how much it will cost just to ship it...

Greyhound is stepping up in the shipping game and I was told they will soon have digital tracking in place. IDK what soon means but it is what the station manager told me last time I shipped with them. I shipped a cradle to NY. Cost $80 IIRC.

edit..dang typos

Last time I looked Greyhound was the best option for oversized body parts. Otherwise I would only bubble wrap the fender such that it's not in a huge box.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock