Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fastback Trivia... Totally clear GT taillight lenses?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fastback Trivia... Totally clear GT taillight lenses? by Raydar
Started on: 09-28-2013 06:56 PM
Replies: 11 (776 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 10-01-2013 02:39 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine (a long time Fiero guy, from Canada) insists that there were about a dozen fastback cars released with totally clear taillight lenses. (Still had the Pontiac lettering.) He said that there was also something else special about the cars. Like a limited edition or something.

Has anyone ever heard of or seen this?

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never heard of it...

I've been in fieros since 1994 and seen many 86-88GTs, but not
what you discribe. Not in Canada either.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Never heard of it...

Nor have I, and I got into Fieros in '85, when I bought my GT.

He has owned between 80 and 90 Fieros. He's a body man and has rebuilt at least some of those.
I, OTOH, have only owned 5 or 6.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not outside the realm of possibility that a dealer could have done a few mods to make a particular car "special" when it was new. I'm thinking that changing the tail lights may have been a bit questionable, though, when thinking about potential legal ramifications.
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm from Canada and been into Fiero's continuously since 1986. I've lived in the hearts of Ontario, Quebec, and now Nova Scotia and I've never seen nor heard of anything like what your friend describes. What evidence does he offer? Just a memory or something more substantial?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I'm from Canada and been into Fiero's continuously since 1986. I've lived in the hearts of Ontario, Quebec, and now Nova Scotia and I've never seen nor heard of anything like what your friend describes. What evidence does he offer? Just a memory or something more substantial?

There are no pictures or brochures, if that's what you mean.
I want to say he is from (around) Montreal, but I'm not sure. He's been here for ~10 years.

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2013 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

It's not outside the realm of possibility that a dealer could have done a few mods to make a particular car "special" when it was new. I'm thinking that changing the tail lights may have been a bit questionable, though, when thinking about potential legal ramifications.

More importantly, disassembly and re-assembly of the tail lights to remove the lamination, would be a very tedious process; although not illegal. It also wouldn't be illegal to remove the amber and red coloring, though the bulbs would have to be replaced with ones that did light up amber and red in the correct places. If any dealer did offer it as an option, it probably would have cost at least $800 to have done.

As for legality, if read the laws carefully, and depending on what country/state/province/locality you're in, there's actually quite a lot you can get away with doing, especially on small cars like the Fiero.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I call BS on your friend..Never seen it and I have lived from Nova Scotia to currently Alberta..
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
A friend of mine (a long time Fiero guy, from Canada) insists that there were about a dozen fastback cars released with totally clear taillight lenses. (Still had the Pontiac lettering.)

I think I' may have, still in their box, those parts he describes.

However, I find nothing unusual about them. More specifically, his sounds to me like an excellent description of standard Fiero GT taillight lens covers --- as opposed to the GT's red taillights themselves.

Extending nearly the entire width of the Fiero GT, those taillight lens covers do indeed have "PONTIAC" lettering over a black background around their center (after one installs both panels), and at their ends, they are indeed clear (so as not to block out the actual red taillights which they cover).
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

I think I' may have, still in their box, those parts he describes.

However, I find nothing unusual about them. More specifically, his sounds to me like an excellent description of standard Fiero GT taillight lens covers --- as opposed to the GT's red taillights themselves.

Extending nearly the entire width of the Fiero GT, those taillight lens covers do indeed have "PONTIAC" lettering over a black background around their center (after one installs both panels), and at their ends, they are indeed clear (so as not to block out the actual red taillights which they cover).

Yup, this is probably what they are thinking.
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the whole tail light were clear..red bulbs then er...?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-01-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock