1988 2m4 Radio/Speaker problems by xquaid
Started on: 09-23-2013 12:53 PM
Replies: 6 (178 views)
Last post by: xquaid on 09-27-2013 12:45 PM
xquaid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 1988 Fiero 2m4 has no sound coming from the right 2 passenger speakers or the driver side rear speaker.

I noted the head unit knob that fades sound from left to right side has NO effect on speaker sound.

Basically I have 1 functioning speaker. 99% sure it is the head unit. Is this common?

I do not want anything fancy in my car. Can I install a cassette player I have? Should I go ahead and put new speakers in since mine are 25 years old?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

------------------
Reinventing Gym Education
Founder - www.fitnesspatterns.com +
www.gymgym.us

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep it would be the head unit if it is factory. I would replace the speakers, as their sound is very sub par, but you dont have to. The fronts are easy to replace, the rears not so much.
You can pop off the front speaker grills and unscrew the speakers, unplug them and swap them to see if they work.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-25-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before fully installing the cassette player, I would test those other speakers and confirm what the issue is. I had an 85 that only played out of one speaker ....it turned out that not only was the head unit bad....but one of the dash speakers was also shot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by xquaid:

I noted the head unit knob that fades sound from left to right side has NO effect on speaker sound.

Wait , so even if you fade full right, the left speaker still works?
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speakers are easy to test. Just get a multi-meter and set it to the lowest Ohm setting. Touch the leads to the speaker terminals. The speaker should read the same or slightly less Ohms than it's impedance. For example, if it is an 8-ohm speaker, it should read 8 or slightly less Ohms. Also, you should hear some faint static from the speaker as you touch the meter leads to it. If it reads OK, but you don't hear anything, the voice coil could be "frozen".
xquaid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Wait , so even if you fade full right, the left speaker still works?

Correct.
No matter what I do with the knobs, the sound only comes from the front left speaker.

Any suggestions for inexpensive speakers? (I already have a cassette player) I like my old school radio...after all, I am the one using the car! :P

xquaid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

xquaid

958 posts
Member since Dec 2007

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Speakers are easy to test. Just get a multi-meter and set it to the lowest Ohm setting. Touch the leads to the speaker terminals. The speaker should read the same or slightly less Ohms than it's impedance. For example, if it is an 8-ohm speaker, it should read 8 or slightly less Ohms. Also, you should hear some faint static from the speaker as you touch the meter leads to it. If it reads OK, but you don't hear anything, the voice coil could be "frozen".

Thank you for the suggestion. At this time, I will try the head unit first, then adjust fire from there.

- Justin

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock