Started on: 09-22-2013 09:08 PM
Replies: 14 (516 views)
Last post by: pokeyfiero on 11-12-2013 03:18 AM
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SpeedTrialUSA will be heading to the track again, and I'll be there in my 3.4 DOHC Fiero! The next event will be at Buttonwillow on Nov 9-10. They plan to run configuration 13CW. Early signup pricing is $150/day or $250 for both days.

This is not a race! It's just a high performance driving event. There are strict passing rules. There is no competition.

SpeedTrialUSA events typically have 20-minute sessions, and there are 4 to 6 of them per day. It's a LOT of on-track time.

I've been the only Fiero there this year, but I'm hoping we can get at least 5 cars at the next event. Are you interested?

Buttonwillow Raceway is 3 hours from the Bay Area, a little under 4 hours from Sacramento, and just under 5 hours from Las Vegas. There are nice facilities including bathrooms, showers, and RV parking with hookups! Food is available on site, and there are also garages available to rent. Also plenty of room for camping, but bring stakes because it can get windy!

Hotels are available in the town of Buttonwillow (just down the freeway) and in Bakersfield (45 minutes away).

Race gas and street gas are both available on site.

Here's a link to register:
http://speedtrialusa.com/in...cle&id=126&Itemid=62

You can find track info including maps here:
http://buttonwillowraceway.com/

Car preparation is minimal. You need to pass a basic tech inspection which consists of checking to make sure your vehicle is safe for itself and others. You can find the tech inspection form on SpeedTrialUSA's website. Make sure you read the tech info, safety rules, and FAQs on their website!

You will also need an SA2005 or newer helmet. Motorcycle helmets will not suffice.

Hope to see some of you there!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
XThirtySeven

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is actually an awesome price. I wish my car could be ready in time for that. Have fun I look forward to the gopro footage!
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a hankerin' to see that footage myself. Putting the camera on the splitter gets you really close to the track.
As a side note, I've got a 3.4DOHC I will be trying to put in this winter. First though, I need to clean out the garage. Easier said than done on that.
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steven got me out to the last event at Buttonwillow. My car was just back on the road to drive to the track, about 2+ hours for me, so I was just there to observe. Great track and facilities (compared to Willow Springs in the '80s) and a great mix of cars and people. Very low-key, run-wut-ya-brung event. Everything from a new-sh Gallardo and a couple of new Ford Mustang Boss 302S Race Cars to some guy in a Fiero. A fast Fiero, tho! As long as the car is safely maintained and you have a current helmet, you're good to go. As a bonus for me, during lunch break the track was open with a max speed of 55mph to anyone. That gave me a chance to follow Steven around the track for a couple of laps.

I'm aiming to be there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AejHQ6iV-F8

Neil

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 09-24-2013).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump!
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope to see you there, Neil!

Anyone else thinking about going?
DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love Buttonwillow! It's a haul from Reno, but well worth it. Unfortunately the date doesn't work for me.

From our last Lemons race.

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DonP:

Love Buttonwillow! It's a haul from Reno, but well worth it. Unfortunately the date doesn't work for me.

From our last Lemons race.

Race car looks good. I think I saw your build thread somewhere.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2013 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump. It's only two weeks away!
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last day for Speedtrial's discount pricing...

Next week I'm cramming to finish my new suspension set up.

Am I going to see anyone else at the track?
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I'm the only Fiero signed up. But we can still have am impromptu Fiero meet at the track if you want to come hang out on Sunday. sspeedstreet is going to try to make it.

Anyone else? Rick? Mordac? Who else is out there?

The track is open for anyone to run parade laps from 12:05 to 12:55. You just have to pay the $10 track entry fee and sign the track waiver. Speed is limited to 55 mph for parade laps. It's still pretty fun.

PFF
System Bot
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn Steven.

I wish I could go just for old time sake.

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

Damn Steven.

I wish I could go just for old time sake.

Pokey!!! Where are you these days? We need to catch up.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a video of one my fastest runs from yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ThfyBMJr8
My brakes were gone after that lap and I had to park the car. The pads (Porterfield R4-S) were overheating and disintegrating. I'm going to try Porterfield R4 pads next. Also getting some better rotors (with no holes or slots) so they hopefully don't crack anymore.

Car was running pretty well (especially with my new springs and front shocks) but my brakes weren't working all that well all weekend since they were getting too hot for the R4-S compound. I had a spare set but they were the same compound, and I went through the brand new pads in just a few sessions. So unfortunately I only got about 10 laps in on Sunday before my brakes were gone.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2013 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Steven. I sold the DOHC. Just didn't have time to take it to the track and driving like we drive wasn't an option anymore on the street so I sold it.

Brakes: I really liked the wilwood BP-10 pads. They were not expensive and they handled heat well. They don't last long though.
But a lot longer than ten laps. I was good on one set at thunderhill for several events. No idea how many laps.
But you know how I drive better than anyone so You know they were tested and pushed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock