Started on: 09-19-2013 11:16 PM
Replies: 1 (258 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 09-19-2013 11:38 PM
paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After sitting for 3 years, my friend Jeff (JeffnDebrus), finally consented to selling me his non running 85 SE/GT with the 4.9 in it. Over the years him and his wife have put a ton of hard work into this car but it never really worked out for him. It was always one thing after another going wrong with it. Mostly electrical issues like the fuel pump constantly going out or the headache he had with the iac motor going nuts. The last problem was the fuel pump going out again. I think he had enough at that point and just gave up. I can't say that I blame him.
After buying the car from him I replaced the fuel pump but it still would not start. A mechanic friend of mine deduced that the injectors were not firing. It seemed strange to me that the fuel pump was constantly a problem and now this injector problem. Sounded like a chip problem to my mechanic friend so I sent the chip off to Aaron (Stickpony) and had him take a look at it. Turns out there was a checksum error in the programing so I had him reprogram it with a few other tweeks. As soon as the chip was installed the car fired right up and the idle smoothed out after warm up to 750rpm. A change of oil and a few other things and I thought it would be ready to drive home. Nope, not so fast. One of the front calipers would not release after a short drive so I had to finish the upgrade to Grand am brakes that Jeff had started. That came with it's own set of problems to over come but with a little patience it finally came together. The latest upgrade was to 17" wheels and tires. Today was the cars 1st full day on the road in a little over 3 years and I think I could hear the joy in that V8 as it purred down the road.
I still have a few little issues to iron out before this thing is ready for full time driving but what a fun day behind the wheel compared to the 2.8 I've been driving for the last 8 years.
Pictures to come soon.

------------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock