member of the 4T60 club by Grantman
Started on: 09-18-2013 08:34 AM
Replies: 6 (655 views)
Last post by: zmcdonal on 09-19-2013 06:42 PM
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
big smile came over my face last night. Got done with my 3.4 PR and 4T60 swap a few weeks ago. doing some miles but not a lot because I want to replace front suspension pieces and the transmission wasn't right. At 55 I was doing about 2,300 rpms, but I was expecting lower and my shift points seemed late. I have a 4T60 with 2.84 gearing. so finally played with the TV. Wasn't working to push in the button (had to use a pliers and a socket) and even then it wouldn't ratchet. So pulled out the square tube that is supposed to ratchet put it together and went for a spin. noticed right away it was shifting sooner and then it happened! It shifted into 4th gear and the rpm's dropped to about 1,850-1,900 at 60. Big smile! Kicks down like it should when stomping on the pedal. Adjusted it a little further to get the shifts a little sooner but now I can relate to what all the fuss is about. Different car. can't wait to check mileage. As for power, it's not overwelming, but it's a nice improvement over the 2.8, so when I want to pass, i'm going to get around in a hurry and that's what I wanted with good gas mileage.

I'm not sure what causes the new sound from the exhaust.....but it's a combination of the 3.4, ported exhaust/Y-pipe, 260 cam, modified upper intake but altogether it sounds sweet with the stock exhaust. Although when I was putting it together I noticed part of the inside of the catalytic converter was already coming apart so I'm sure that changes the sound.

I am one happy camper.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1979 Naked Honda Goldwing - sold
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great news I can't wait to get mine in. All parts are gathered, just waiting for them to arrive.
My88RedGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My88RedGTSend a Private Message to My88RedGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on the new engine and tranny.

Just updated the tranny in mine to the 4t60 a couple weeks ago. Still running the stock 2.8. The rpm's at 70mph are about 1900. Lot better than the 3000 I was getting with the stock tranny. Mileage increased too. With stock I was get 18 to 19 mpg. Now 24 to 26. Mine shifts smooth up and down and cannot even feel it. Only way to tell is by listening to the engine. I will say that the 4t60 is not the best tranny for the 2.8 if you live in a very mountainous area. It will work, but you end up downshifting a lot. The mountain climb from Phoenix to Flagstaff ( 6000 ft climb over 130 miles) is a doozy ! There are two long 6% grade climbs you must endure before you reach Flagstaff. Even some of the new cars have laboring issues with the climb.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one of the reasons I did the 3.4 with the 4T60 to handle hills better, although the hills of Minnesota really don't compare to your hills!! engine sure is quieter at cruising speed not spinning at 3,000.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is not unheard of being able to get 40+ mpg hwy out of a stock 2.8 when it is coupled with a 440-T4/4T60 with a 2.84 final drive in a Fiero, if driven right.

Although, the 2.84 final drive might be a bit steep for a stock 2.8. A 3.06 ratio would be a better match, but it might not get quite as good hwy fuel economy.

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

Fipronil

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FipronilSend a Private Message to FipronilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations Grantman, it is amazing how much more driveable the car is on the highway. Enjoy!
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

It is not unheard of being able to get 40+ mpg hwy out of a stock 2.8 when it is coupled with a 440-T4/4T60 with a 2.84 final drive in a Fiero, if driven right.

Although, the 2.84 final drive might be a bit steep for a stock 2.8. A 3.06 ratio would be a better match, but it might not get quite as good hwy fuel economy.

Mine has a 4T60 that Darth installed before I bought the car, not sure on the final drive ratio but it's at 2,400 RPM at 80MPH. I got 33 MPG on my trip to Fred's show in Iowa, and that was following someone most of the way without cruise on and varying speed in traffic. Needless to say I was pretty happy with that.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock