Just picked up a Fiero with 20,000mi by FieroMontreal
Started on: 09-12-2013 08:19 PM
Replies: 8 (485 views)
Last post by: FieroMontreal on 09-16-2013 09:45 AM
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been working on this transaction all week and finally tonight I got around to going to the local DMV. Since Fiero's are soo old, our local DMV considers them Antiques and I needed to get an evaluation for tax purposes before I could transfer it to my name.

Anyways It's all said and done, the car is at my house now!

1986 SE 2M6, 20,000mi, 4 speed

I'm the Third owner, the First owner babied the car and kept it in a garage during his ownership as it was his pride and joy. It was never taken out in the winter or in the rain. He had to sell it when going thru a divorce and his wife wanted half of everything. He sold it to the guy I bought it from who wasn't a Fiero guy at all but who took care of it none the less. The car was garage kept for the past 7 years while under his ownership and he only drove it 2500mi during that time. Now he was getting old and going in and out of the car was getting hard, especially since it doesn't have tilt steering.

The car is a bare bones 2M6 and it doesn't seem to have any options besides possibly rear defroster. It still has to original Goodyear Eagle GT tires and original brakes and what not. The chassis is perfect and totally rust free. The interior is new. I swear it feels like a new car.

The car had 1 problem, according to the ad it needed shifter cables as they were seized. When I went to look at the car I noticed that they seemed perfectly fine and when I pumped the clutch pedal I noticed I got a bit of pressure and I could put it into gear so I was dead set on the problem being hydrolic. Well when I got home I hooked up rodney dickman's self bleeder tool and changed all the fluid in the line and the clutch is now perfectly fine. I assume the slave is going so I might just order a rebuild kit.

Besides that the headlights are "up" I'll look that up tomorrow but I suspect bad relays and the hard top headliner is saggy which I could fix in the spring. The car has an aftermarket chin that is slightly cracked and damaged but I'll probably remove that.

Overall I'm stoked, I never thought I'd get such a nice low mileage car for a real song and dance. I've got paper proof of the mileage including inspections and evaluations. I still can't believe it.

It's dark now and I'm so tired from all of this, pictures shall be posted tomorrow

------------------

AKA. FieroAlex
Not related in any way to the FieroMontreal club

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 09-12-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its nice to find a low milage fiero, when you can actually find them. I bet here in PQ there
are still many sitting / parked in garages for many years (over 15 years) that will come out
one day. Most pre-88 fieros are getting old and rusted out. Some need alot of work.
There are not many rust-free cars here in this province due to many driving them in the
winter. I've seen online 88 fieros for sale that were stored for many years and comming
out of the closet, but its sometimes worst than we think. Maybe there was a reason why
it was parked in the first place. Some are show queens, and those are the cars to buy.
(If you can find them...)

Take some frame shots just to impress us that 86s are still available here in Canada ! LOL

Thanks for sharing.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job. Do you mind telling us how much?

I just helped my daughter buy her first car. It's an 88 coupe, 120,000 miles, 2.5 auto, red, sun roof, no other options but the original radio (not working right), and garage kept its entire life. The owner went on and on about how it was his baby and that it hadn't been driven in a few years but that it needed a lot of work. The tag was from 2011. The fuel gauge didn't work. The tires needed replacing because one would always leak down after a short time. The AC doesn't work. The headlights wouldn't open. When he drove it around the block the suspension made terrible noises. It used to start easily but now it took a long time to start and then he couldn't keep it running. It hadn't been started in a couple months because the battery had gone dead and was now so dead that it wouldn't take a charge. But the original paint was super glossy and there was no rust to be seen. The interior looked like new including the original floor mat on the passenger side and even (dealer added) cup holders on the doors.

I paid the full asking price of $500 and loaded it onto the trailer. The seller had taken the 6 month old battery back and had it replaced under warranty. On the way home I stopped and put 9.991 gallons of gas into it, primed the pump 3 times and hit the starter. It cranked right up and purred like a kitten. I replaced the head light bushings and sway bar end link bushings. I pulled the leaking plug out of the tire and popped in a new one. I'm still looking for another stock looking radio and plan to have the AC recharged. But what a cream puff! The steering's tight. The brakes work well. It even got 31.2 MPG on the highway the other day.

Gotta be willing to wait and ready to pounce... but the deals are out there.

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 09-12-2013).]

FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures will be on here this afternoon, I'm at work now and I can't wait to get home to clean the car.

I paid a whopping $1,500 for the car. I didn't bother negotiating because honestly that was a steal!

I just insured the car, I need to get it evaluated in order to get full cover insurance. Do you guys think my value would be higher if I kept the 27 year old Eagle GT tires in so/so shape OR with Brand New off brand Tires?
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
those tires are junk, I don't care if the car was garaged it's entire life. one good drive with those tires and they will be egg shaped. They are not safe, get rid of them.
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with you as I don't want to drive with them either, my question was more for the evaluation.. if it adds any value or subtracts

Do they have any value to potential Fiero collectors as I doubt I'd keep em after getting the new ones on.

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 09-13-2013).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get new tires and throw the originals up for sale, someone here may buy them for a show car.
Nice find!
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a pristine '88 Formula 5 years ago that only had 5,200 kilometers on it (3231 miles), & drove it home down the highway for 3.5 hours. The tires were original with some surface cracks. I've seen 4 year old tires that had more and bigger cracks. I sometimes wonder if it's wise to still be driving on them, but they now have 23,000 km on them (14,291 miles).
FieroMontreal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the Delay everyone, Friday was a rainy day and I was away for the weekend. I got to clean it Yesterday and take some pictures.

Overall it's in great shape, it's not Mint as it has some flaws but it's the best I've had over the past 14 years and one of the best I've seen locally that's for sure.

Like I mentioned earlier, I need to get the front chin spoiler re glassed and painted as it's cracked.
I didn't trouble shoot the headlights yet but I suspect a faulty main relay, I have another one and I'll try to get it installed this afternoon.

About the Tires, one of them had a nail in it so I brought it to the local tire shop to change the valve at the same time and get the tires re balanced. The manager looked at the tire and said that they don't make tires of that Quality anymore. The tire is 27 years old and is barely cracked. It seems some new tires crack much more then mine after only 2 years. He isn't too worried about driving on them but I'm still looking for replacement tires.

I'd like to get a set of BF Goodrich T/A's but they were pretty pricy for 14 inch, Cooper Cobra were a nice set at a much better rate but I can't find it anywhere.

Here are some pictures.

The car is in KM so 30k = 20kmi

I noticed a rear sway bar with polly end links. The car also has a Viper alarm system but I'm REALLY not a fan of the wiring job. I also found two home made switches hidden away that I need to ask the previous owner about, I think they are kill switches but I'm not sure.

------------------

AKA. FieroAlex

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 09-16-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock