My customs Speakers Boxes!! by DJWINNI
Started on: 09-12-2013 05:13 AM
Replies: 10 (871 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 09-14-2013 12:31 PM
DJWINNI

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJWINNISend a Private Message to DJWINNIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanna share with you my customs speaker boxes that I just installed on my car!!

Started with this:

Front Panel and sides!

Upper panel added:

Filled gap:

Back panel for wiring:

Glued cover:

Pioneer 550W Max installed:

Finally installed in car!!
Very nice sound, enough space between seat and box.... but won't work if your 2m tall!

------------------
Christophe **1986 PONTIAC FIERO - V6/2,8L**

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks very nice in the car. Why didn't you inclose the back so it is a sealed box?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

That looks very nice in the car. Why didn't you inclose the back so it is a sealed box?

Not much point when he's got ports on the sides. Not sure why he did ports anyway.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-13-2013).]

Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the first 3 pictures I thought you were making the worlds easiest cornhole game.
What kind of wood did you use? I thought these were always made out of some sort of fiberboard?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are these in addition to your factory speakers?
Nice boxes. I would turn the boxes upside down though and mount a 10" sub where the 6x9 is, and mount the Amp in the upper open part.
DJWINNI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2013 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJWINNISend a Private Message to DJWINNIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your comments!

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Didn't enclose the box, because the Fiero firewall is not flat enough, so with an opened back, it allows a better stability!

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:
For the first 3 pictures I thought you were making the worlds easiest cornhole game.
What kind of wood did you use? I thought these were always made out of some sort of fiberboard?

It's a kind of fiberboard, but quite resistant!

Originally posted by 2.5:
Are these in addition to your factory speakers?
Nice boxes. I would turn the boxes upside down though and mount a 10" sub where the 6x9 is, and mount the Amp in the upper open part.

They replace the factory back speakers! They are also in addition to the front speakers!

[This message has been edited by DJWINNI (edited 09-12-2013).]

deezil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look great! Any chance you could draw up some plans or a simple blueprint to show us?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

Normally, you want to use dense MDF for speaker boxes - especially sub boxes.
The glued "plys" in plywood can separate with time and you'll hear a buzz you can't locate.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you think about most people having the seat backs reclined to some degree, that design might actually work better upside-down. If the thick part was at the bottom, the seat back could still be pushed back against the firewall. Don't know, haven't taken any measurements or looked into it. Just thinking. Nice looking boxes either way. I'm sure it is an improvement to the originals.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's easy. Just pull everything and glass it. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to do it. It will blow Your mind how much a good sealed small glass box would rock over a big open space.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your speaker baffles look nice, but appearance is only half of the game. There is actually quite a lot of science behind speaker box design. To get the most from your speakers, you need a box that's tuned (acoustically) to the frequency range that you want the speakers to produce. The speaker box design can make the difference between speakers that just make noise, and ones that sound great.

First of all, in order for a speaker box to work properly, it needs to be a complete box (and on large boxes, the walls need to be reinforced, so they don't resonate). Second of all, the internal volume of the box needs to be a certain size, depending on the speaker, and what frequency range you want it to produce.

Ported boxes are typically used for woofers and subwoofers, to improve low-frequency performance. To do this, the port needs to be a certain diameter, and a certain length. Otherwise, the port is pretty much useless.

I realize it may seem like I'm being too critical. But I'm not trying to be rude. We've all been in the same situation, at some time or another. An online search for speaker box building should turn up lots of information. But here is a good place to start: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

And last but not least, the Fiero interior seems to lend itself to sealed woofer boxes. A ported box may end up sounding too "boomy", because the Fiero interior amplifies some of the low-frequency sound. Plus, there isn't a lot of room inside a Fiero. So getting a properly sized ported box (which are usually larger than sealed boxes) in there might be a challenge.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock