Anybody buy a kit from CarKitInc? by XThirtySeven
Started on: 09-01-2013 04:55 PM
Replies: 17 (4445 views)
Last post by: Australian on 09-03-2013 07:26 AM
XThirtySeven

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking into buying a F355 w/ Hardtop kit from CarKitInc but before I pull the trigger I have some questions.

1) They don't ship so you have to arrange your own shipping, how does it work and what would be the most cost efficient way?

2) How hard is this kit to assemble, is it as, simple as take off old body and bolt on new one or is there fiberglassing involved?

3) What do you think would be the total cost minus paint to complete this kit?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you buy ANY KIT have the manufacture provide you a list of recent customers. If they won't run don't walk as fast as you can from the purchase. -- If they do, call every one of them! They will have the answers - Also check e-bay kits and replica listing. There were a couple of 355's listed last week - contact those sellers and see how the after the sale support was. GOOD LUCK

steve308
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kit car Inc. is legit , but the quality is reflected in the price.. the parts need work .. but still go visit before you send money and you would be better off picking the kit up instead of having it shipped. They are in a legal battle with Lamborghini right now, Lamborghini's attorneys have asked for molds to be destroyed but Jackie said he would not... He said he was going to fight it..... good luck....

------------------edit: guess picking it up would be out of question,,,, if you want to build a 355 kit check over on madmechanics and find out who bought the Air Dynamics 355 molds , it would be you best bet.. will cost more upfront than the CKI but will is much more accurate kit and when John was selling the kits were top quality...
There is a VERRY nice one listed on ebay for around $19k , you will have more in one if you want it really nice,,, Not really a rebody there is much more involved.. here is the car it was on ebay ,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3BvHGcADY
87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 09-01-2013).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are serious and want top of the line, go with the Air Dynamics kit. Here is the link:
http://www.ad355.com/

Be sure to click on the "build manual" link at the bottom to get an idea of what parts you will need.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-01-2013).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John sold his molds to Bartman. He is on mad mechanics forum. Johns body's were hands down the best quality available. He was in the habit of buying Ferrari body parts to make his molds from and did high quality work. As far as I know Bartman did good work too. He had the 355 molds for sale just a little while ago. Anyway mad mechanics is the forum for Ferrari rebodys.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regardless which kit you buy, the F355 bodies don't simply bolt onto a bare Fiero chassis. All of them require chopping steel away from the space frame in the B-pillar area, front frame, rear bumper, and doors, and then reinforced. The wheels also need to be moved outwards about 3" in the front and back to fill the wheel wells which means you either buy a completely new suspension package with longer control arms, or much wider wheels with smaller offsets, or huge wheel spacers. The suspension height also needs to be modified significantly for it to look right as well, and there are several ways to achieve this depending on your tastes and budget. Then, depending on the kit body, you may have the option of keeping the original wheelbase of the car such as with the AD355 kit, but most require that the frame be cut in half behind the passenger compartment and lengthened by 3". You'll need to be able to do some fiberglassing because the inner and outer shells of the hood need to be bonded together, and then there are steel reinforcements that must be bonded into the rear decklid, as well as fiberglassing the roof panel to the rear quarters. Then there are the hundreds of hours of body work to make the panels align correctly, and prep them for paint regardless which company you buy from.

Estimating a cost is very difficult because there are so many choices to make that can drastically affect the overall cost: Are you keeping the stock engine, transmission, interior, or windshield? Is it a stretched wheelbase kit? What skills and time do you have? Do you have a shop full of tools? Do you already own a Fiero and is it in good condition? At the lowest end you might be able to get away spending $15K for a car that only has the exterior body panels done. Many people are satisfied with that, but for a car with an interior, more powerful engine, aftermarket suspension, big wheels, and flawless paint, expect to be in the +$40K range if you can do most of the work yourself.

There are two active F355 build threads in the Construction Zone right now, one by me: www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000116.html , the other by Yarmouth Fiero: www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000137.html . Although we both have fairly large budgets, you may glean a few insights into what it takes to build one by checking out our threads.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a reason why that saying exists that "98% of kit cars don't get 'completed' ". People grossly under estimate their budgets. $15k barely get people a body mounted on a chassis and to be perfectly homest some people have paid $15k just for dash, seat, and door panel interior work (none of the other interior work).

Now if you're able to do some of the work yourself prices decrease, but if you don't have the facilities to do all the work you run the risk of taking much longer to complete kits.

Most all kit cars require some degree of fiberglass work. Really good kits will require simple fiberglass work to correct minor curvature imperfections or door sill corrections omce panels are aligned. Poorly splashed kits may require such extensive fiberglass work that entire parts would need to be reworked.

Be very careful about kit car nomenclature. "non-stretch" doesn't always means no chassis modifications. For instance, a lot of non-stretch Countach kits out there often still require roof modification for the window/door sill since they're raked so far back in comparison to the standard Fiero setup. Often this means still prepping a Fiero spaceframe as if you were stetching the chassis, even if you're not stretching it.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very insightful information thank you guys! I have never fiberglassed in my life, it scares me a bit. Ive welded, not much but that im more comfortable with that. Luckily being in the car scene since a young age I have a lot of conections with painters and bodywork guys. Suspensions are my thing as well as wheels and offsets so I would probably do some more upgrades to my suspension and then crank out some wide wheels with low offsets to fill the fenders. Im thinking BBS LMs 17 Fronts 18 Rears. I would love to find someone local who has built one so I could see it in person. Maybe I should start slow and just do my own take on a F355 by using the Fiero Fiberglass front and Rear and some Ferrari Tails and tweak the GT body here and there.

[This message has been edited by XThirtySeven (edited 09-02-2013).]

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it even be possible to make a 355 body or any other body that just bolts directly on? Why don't the manufactures do this instead?
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Delorean00 (Chris) who also lives in Sacramento can give you some insight on the Air Dynamics 355.

Here is his thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000109.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-02-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jb1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted in the mall one for sale but it is here in TN , It needs finished and a front bumper for $1500, for that + shipping , the body is mounted and you would be less than CKI kit with a lot of the work already done

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 09-02-2013).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

Would it even be possible to make a 355 body or any other body that just bolts directly on? Why don't the manufactures do this instead?

Wheel base and track width make it difficult to have a true "bolt on" and if your are a manufacture of a kit that vaguely resemble the F or L cars you will be sued out of business. Probably the easiest and closest to 'bolt on' would be an Italian themed kit based on the "MERA" replacement part panels being offered by a Pennocks member (Search MERA) and as stated in the thread there are a number of first class nose and tail bolt on products that can give your vehicle an 'Italian look'. Check out www.fierofiberglass.com for a unique and first class looking kit the (Lizardo). They also have other nose and tail panels. I've seen a couple of the noses and tails they offer ----- look great !

My 308 --- KIT

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 09-02-2013).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regarding the stretch. I have the non stretched AD355 and it is achieved by moving the rear wheel wells forward 3" on the body. I thus have a chassis that has not been cut in half. I think that if I were going to do it over I would do the cradle stretch that only requires moving the strut towers back an equal amount. I could still do that and relocate the wheel wells, but I'm not sure that anyone would notice the difference. I should say that this is all theory on my part so there might be a downside to the cradle stretch that I'm unaware of.
KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was buildimg a 355 and my old thread is here somewhere. Not starting with a quality kit is crucial. I ended up deciding on a "cheap" kit. But I had decided I wasnt going to badge the car as a ferrari and would have had to make mods to make the kit look good. Simply because the body wasnt in great shape. So if you really want a close to exact replica the AD is probably the only way to go. It is also way easier to build than the others.

If you are willing to travel you will be able to find someones kit you can get at a decent price. I was one of them. But it had more to do with being surprised by having twins than money or knowledge of how to build it. Yoi will notice I have a new build thread 4 years later with a different car as my time has freed up! Lol.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XThirtySeven:

Very insightful information thank you guys! I have never fiberglassed in my life, it scares me a bit. Ive welded, not much but that im more comfortable with that. Luckily being in the car scene since a young age I have a lot of conections with painters and bodywork guys. Suspensions are my thing as well as wheels and offsets so I would probably do some more upgrades to my suspension and then crank out some wide wheels with low offsets to fill the fenders. Im thinking BBS LMs 17 Fronts 18 Rears. I would love to find someone local who has built one so I could see it in person. Maybe I should start slow and just do my own take on a F355 by using the Fiero Fiberglass front and Rear and some Ferrari Tails and tweak the GT body here and there.

I did something like this and in my opinion it turned out very well. I did it on a 20 year olds budget and was able to get 90% of the stuff preowned and never installed or preowned and in good shape i'll see if I can find you the thread on it but here is a few pics of it. this was also done before the Ferrari rear bumper was so easily obtainable

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by steve308:

Wheel base and track width make it difficult to have a true "bolt on" and if your are a manufacture of a kit that vaguely resemble the F or L cars you will be sued out of business. Probably the easiest and closest to 'bolt on' would be an Italian themed kit based on the "MERA" replacement part panels being offered by a Pennocks member (Search MERA) and as stated in the thread there are a number of first class nose and tail bolt on products that can give your vehicle an 'Italian look'. Check out www.fierofiberglass.com for a unique and first class looking kit the (Lizardo). They also have other nose and tail panels. I've seen a couple of the noses and tails they offer ----- look great !

My 308 --- KIT

Is your 308 a kit steve? I thought you had a mera?

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will cost 2 x the price if a used kit to complete and will take close to what seems forever. If you build it you will need to do a tonne of work so it all lines up on your car. After you have finished you will be an expert on fiberglass.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock