Opinions needed about repairing my Fiero with 3800SC by starlightcoupe
Started on: 08-29-2013 11:47 AM
Replies: 3 (187 views)
Last post by: starlightcoupe on 08-29-2013 08:25 PM
starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to sell my 1984 Fiero with 3800SC/4t66e combo because I have severe back problems. I had major back surgery and just got home last friday after five weeks in the hospital and rehabilitative care. I haven't been able to drive the car very much for almost a year because it hurt to drive or get into and out of the car.

I am getting better but it will be awhile before I can make the repairs and upgrade what I want to do to the car before I sell it. A list of things I need or want to do are: fuel sender needs replacing (dropping tank is required), I need to find and repair "clunk" in rear on acceleration/deceleration, odometer and trip odometer are stuck, I want to replace the existing steering column but have a newer, good one on hand, brakes are good but were always too close to the floor for me, front rotors need replacing and a few other very minor things need done. If I was still in good condition, I could all of these things in less than a week but I will be in recovery mode for at least six months to a year. I'd keep the Fiero but I have no place for it and I already bought a replacement car so I reluctantly need to get rid of it.

Should I get someone to repair these things for me or should I sell it now and give the new owner a big break on the price? I value your opinions,

Thanks for any replies,

Richard
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off....Wishing a speedy recovery for you. Will you have sellers remorse when you feel good enough to jump into the car? It seems like lots of Fieros change hands for orthopedic reasons....

Second.... You may save youself a lot of work by selling your car as it sits. It seems that most 3800 buyers are certified 'car-nuts' that want to tinker with it anyway....so you may be doing them a favor by giving them something to do...and they can do it at a very low labor rate.
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow that must have been bad with a 5 weeks stay in the hospital. Hope you are doing better. I think a lot of people are looking for a project car since it seems some of the 3800sc completed cars get out of the price range of most people. I would try first as is and then go from there if you dont sell it.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your kind words and comments. My surgery was complicated by serious infection from another back surgery six months ago and that explains my long stay.

I am a certified tinker nutcase and like to play around with cars but my rare venture into the realm of practicality dictates that I sell the car. I will have seller's remorse every time I see a Fiero and I will bore any and everyone about my car especially if I get well enough to get into and out of the car. My 90 year old uncle rode in it to go visit my aunt (his deceased wife) at the cemetery so maybe there is hope for me.

Thanks again guys for your advice.

Richard

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock