Fiero website suggestions? by Phirewire
Started on: 08-28-2013 11:40 PM
Replies: 7 (351 views)
Last post by: Phirewire on 09-03-2013 11:19 PM
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for a new project and in the past I pondered the idea of a 1 stop shop for all fiero information, photos, builds, groups, and parts. Now I'm not sure if this is the best bet but I am open to suggestions and Ideas.

I am thinking FieroSource.net / com or Fiero.us

I am thinking of the following things so far-

1. Bi-Weekly How To Letter ( Either for a cool nifty thing to add to the fiero or how to repair an damaged fiero )
2. Community Shop ( Those who make aftermarket parts can sell threw the website directly, similar to ebay but no seller fees, completely control over there Items)
3. Search feature which brings up photos and writeups based on tags ( so If I wanna see 3800 s/c swaps it will bring me photos, written out swap info and custom parts from the shop / along with the option to make it either photos, storys, or parts or all three. )
4. Up to date Group Pages, Groups without there own website or even with there website can maintain and Home page with ( Calander, email list, Contact information, up-to-Date news letter)
5. Private Build Feeds ( A place to privately, or Publicly post your build with or without a public username with no public comment section for feuds. Private messages may be left for the owner that is all )
6. Matience Schedule ( A simple calander list type deal to organize your fiero matience with a print out option for if you ever sell the fiero, will also notify you when due for Oil Change, or tire rotation and such)

How does this sound, anything sound bad to you? anything you would really like to see or add on to?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is why we have this forum. Why would you want anything else?!
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by amflyer:

This is why we have this forum. Why would you want anything else?!

We don't have a neat shop, a club page, or a private way to post your build progress without possible harassment.
fireojay86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fireojay86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to go through some ones build with out having to scroll through pages after pages of cool, keep it up, nice car. It makes me stop going through the build I seldom go to the build section of the forum for that reason

------------------

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2013 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:
We don't have a neat shop, a club page, or a private way to post your build progress without possible harassment.

If you don't want harassment, don't post build progress. As evidenced by all the posts to craigslist/ebay ads on this forum, the harassment doesn't have to occur on the place where you posted it. Most clubs have their own web sites. I don't see any valid reason why our local club would want to give up our own site and move everything to a site controlled by someone else, less features, less control, and less security.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Phirewire ---Take a look at how www.fierofocus.com have their club page set up - has a video library / members ride / tech tips etc....
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireojay86:
I would love to go through some ones build with out having to scroll through pages after pages of cool, keep it up, nice car. It makes me stop going through the build I seldom go to the build section of the forum for that reason

Yours is an interesting observation.

I wonder if we're thinking of the same thread. There is a lengthy thread in The Construction Zone wherein nine different people make a total of 11 such comments on just its first page alone, and eventually, we learn the build ended up not working out anyway. That occurred for reasons which I nonetheless found instructive, but somewhat lost in all the "Good job" and "Hang in there" exhortations. I suppose encouragement on a project (I'm guilty of having done this myself on a thread, instead of in a P.M., i.e., Personal Message) potentially can be useful for the builder, but realistically it does very little, if anything, to enhance the reader's comprehension of the work involved with the project itself.

However, if it were frequently and properly employed by the originator of, for example, a build thread, I'd think the "VBook" concept which Cliff Pennock developed almost couldn't help but address that limitation. (Note, however, that the only person who can create a "VBook" from a thread is that thread's originator.)

Here is an archived, explanatory thread re "VBook" by Cliff Pennock: "Here it is: VBook Example" ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000141.html ).

Unfortunately, intriguing as I find the VBook concept, it seems not to have taken off.

Phirewire, for your website project, maybe a variant of the 5th item you mentioned at the outset of your thread here can address the distraction of incessant "attaboy" comments (which fireojay86 initially brought up), as well as the distraction presented by the other type of comments you've already mentioned:

5. Private Build Feeds ( A place to privately, or Publicly post your build with or without a public username with no public comment section for feuds. Private messages may be left for the owner that is all )

More specifically, in addition to your thinking about having "no public comment section for feuds", how about also having no public section for "attaboy" comments as well? Neither typically enhances readers' comprehension of actions being taken during a build. Perhaps instead, as you've already suggested, "Private messages may be left for the owner that is all".

As a practical matter, however, how could one enforce such a policy without taking on a good deal of additional work?

[Edited by Cliff Pennock: Changed link to vBook example since location has changed]
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would believe in pick an choose comments, the site would be made to run itself or well at the expense of whoever made the "build page" so users would submit there comments/suggestions to the creators "build responses section" no a inbox so to say but a list that is neat an organized where he can click and choose which to reply to and which to make public or private, now this would not be included on the build but a small page or bottom section would be left for "Questions and Answers", or "feedback" Similar to ebay, when a buy replys to a question on his ad it will be made public so 7 people dont leave the same question regarding the item. Only quality awnsers if desired by said poster would be public if any at all.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock