Blind Spot by racingfortheson
Started on: 08-27-2013 01:33 PM
Replies: 14 (388 views)
Last post by: Bloozberry on 08-28-2013 10:15 AM
racingfortheson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So people keep talking about the blind spots that painting or covering the sails on my GT would cause. Just wanting to hear from people who have done it and how it worked out. With as many pics of Fiero's that have scoops it can't be that bad.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it dose kind of create one for things like backing out of a driveway and such,
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could always take some blue painters tape (or similar) and cover it up, then go for a spin and find out first hand.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have blacked out sails on mine and it creates a large blind spot you have to do alot of shifting around to see whats behind you when backing out of a space . As soon as i get the car mechanically sound i'm going to put a regular pair on or a scoop with window panels.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 08-27-2013).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you referring to an 85 GT or a fastback?
Kit
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

I have blacked out sails on mine and it creates a large blind spot you have to do alot of shifting around to see whats behind you when backing out of a space . As soon as i get the car mechanically sound i'm going to put a regular pair on or a scoop with window panels.

Wait you are talking about going with "scoops". Doesn't that create the same blind spot?
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope to improve the blind spot situation by making a "shorty" fastback.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 08-27-2013).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Wait you are talking about going with "scoops". Doesn't that create the same blind spot?

He is talking about the scoops with the window's in them. Havent seen them in a while but they are out there just not my taste, my old Green Gt had glassed in scoops that made a horrible blind spot.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
The Mera's blind spot is even worse... Not to mention the way the back decklid is designed it shortens your view out of the rear window
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I hope to improve the blind spot situation by making a "shorty" fastback.

NOPE. The bumper is cool but not the short sails. Why not just get a notch back?
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to say that personally, I don't care much for the shorty look my self either. But that's my personal deal. If you like it go for it!

But something i have been thinking of is the Toyota 4runner. A friend of mine had one. It had convex (outside of a sphere) mirrors mounted on the rear columns at the back of the car, so when looking over your shoulder while backing up, you had a bit of a larger view. I could see something similar in the upper corner of the rear window, in the upper corner over the passenger seat.
PFF
System Bot
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just add a back up camera?

Something like this one: http://www.carid.com/metra/...7Fn7kCFStxQgodmGQAIA

[This message has been edited by LeeR (edited 08-28-2013).]

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PK didn't the old power pickle have solid fiberglass scoops though? I know that removing the small window with a solid sail panel does make backing up a bit more interesting.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

NOPE. The bumper is cool but not the short sails. Why not just get a notch back?

Just something to be different and make it mine.

Jonathan

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although I don't have a car with painted sail panels, my 308 replica with solid sails results in the same thing. I find the worst part isn't backing up so much as it is changing lanes on the freeway. It's very difficult to tell if there's anyone beside and slightly behind you (a place many people like to sit and look at the car while driving) without a convex mirror and/or doing some gymnastics in the car to be sure it's clear to change lanes.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock