Engine Choice. L67 or N* by Inferno
Started on: 08-27-2013 01:20 AM
Replies: 11 (381 views)
Last post by: sco77 on 08-31-2013 02:30 PM
Inferno

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 02 L67 from a 40th Anni GP GTP and I have a N* from a 95 STS. I also have a pair of M90 SC that are sitting on my shelf.
As well if I wanted to I could use one of the many 3400, 3500 V6 Engines that I have but I dont think I would be happy with those.

Any thoughts on which way I should go here people. Please give me some Pros and Cons.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
L67 - pro
N* - con

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
N* .... Pain to work on, expensive to ready if the previous owner didn't take care of it, head bolts...sounds f'n sweet, though.

L67... All the rage, can make stupid power on the cheap, there's twelve billion of them, people think superchargers are cool... They sound kind of "meh."

I dig boost but also love the sound of a high revving, naturally aspirated V8. And noise is important to me.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4.9-Call it a day!!!

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 95 N* from the STS is a very under-rated powerplant. I have one (in a 95 STS) and it has been trouble-free for 240,000 miles. At about 5500 RPM the engine just explodes with power and pulls to 7500 instantly.
Cadillac rated the VIN 9 at 300 HP, but they were fudging the numbers to the low end by rating the engine at a low RPM.
It's your choice, but I would go with the N*, since it is the VIN 9. The 4T80E used with the VIN 9 is also different than the VIN Y (275the HP used in the SLS and Devilles), lower ratio final drive and beefier internals.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.8 sc all the way.. I am biased as I have 2... If you do your research on here in the construction zone for builds you will see the 3.8sc is a tad bit easier and less expensive to initially install. But if you preferr that V8 rumble and have more cash to spend go with the Northstar. If you want a sleeper that when you smash the gas all hell breaks lose then go with the 3.8sc. That supercharger sound is just music to my ears. Some people dont like it. That is until they sit in the passenger side and go for a ride!!
ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
L67.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your ever down in Red Deer drop me a pm and I will take you for a spin. $10 says it will make up your mind for you in about 0 to 60 or about 5 seconds!!!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Northstar is an awesome motor, but IMO it's too much of a pain to swap it in a Fiero, no room to work on it, no room period actually...and you better have deep pockets as well.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

4.9-Call it a day!!!

I'd agree with that, were it one of the two choices presented in the title of this thread, "Engine Choice. L67 or N* ".

Between those two, this seems an easy choice --- at least for me.

The L67 has a stellar reputation and is indeed "all the rage", as one person on this thread aptly described it. That strikes me as a polite way of communicating (intentionally or otherwise), "Everybody has one, and if you want to be like everybody, go for it!" I'll not go so far as to say that "L67s are like belly buttons because everyone has one" --- simply because one gentleman on this thread already has reported he has two (L67 Fieros, that is, not belly buttons ).

If you or your mechanic are mechanically adept and you'd prefer something different, I suggest going with the N* because it isn't "all the rage" --- it's different.

Otherwise, go wth the L67.

Regardless of what you end up choosing to do, good luck to you with your project.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason everyone has l67s is because they are better motors, and easier to swap in

------------------
3800 Turbo

PFF
System Bot
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also for a street car the overall balance of power and fuel economy of the 3800/sc makes it fit the Fiero personality the best, it doesn't have to be something ridiculous for street use. My vote is 3800.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock