Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Autozone counterman had never seen a Fiero in person.....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Autozone counterman had never seen a Fiero in person..... by Boxdin
Started on: 08-26-2013 05:16 PM
Replies: 28 (954 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 09-02-2013 12:41 AM
Boxdin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoxdinSend a Private Message to BoxdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy is 35 yrs old and had never seen a Fiero in person, but did say he has seen them on TV ! Shame I was driving my Ramcharger.
I'll bet he knows all about Hondas........
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dburger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-26-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DburgerSend a Private Message to DburgerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good for him.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before I got mine I only ever seen them in the junkyard every now and then.. but I was never looking for them either.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never saw one until 2000, never even heard of them. That was almost before the internet, and after moving from yuppieville to redneck city.
Heartland Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Heartland FieroSend a Private Message to Heartland FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He doesn't know what he has been missing out on.

Wonder what my life would have been like without the Fieros?

A: lame
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never heard of Autozone.... oh wait, those catch on fire, don't they?
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That guy^ haha
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it is funny when some kid pulls up next to me at a red light in a Civic with a "FART-CAN" on it and thinks his car is the coolest thing.
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try pulling up in a 1974 Trans Am. That really winds their clock.

I had a young man stop me on the parking lot today as I was leaving work. He was guessing my top speed in the 88 GT at 220 MPH. I told him 55 MPH if it was going down hill. He didn't believe me.

[This message has been edited by Super Duty Critter (edited 08-26-2013).]

Gixxer Quad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gixxer QuadSend a Private Message to Gixxer QuadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'm 36, and on my 3rd fiero... that whippersnapper has led a deprived existence.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Poor guy...

I knew about them pretty much soon as I became interested in cars, and I'm only 31 :P
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We go to quite a few Show n Shines throughout the summer.
It's amazing how many people still HAVE NOT seen or never even heard of the Fiero before!
But when you consider only 26,000+ were sold in all of Canada, they are kinda spread out.

I remember seeing a decked out Fiero Indy (even had factory style scoop) in 1984 but forgot all about them.

It was in 1990 that I was thinking I needed a new car because my 1980 Chev Monza Spyder (V8 4-speed) started rusting.
The few cars I liked cost too much ($35,000 for a Gen 2 MR2) and most others sucked in the looks department.

I started reading Kit Car magazine thinking "I may have to build a car I like" and learned about the Fiero and its rustproof plastic body.
I was thinking I'd be getting a "bumperpad" Fiero and doing a body kit conversion.

Then I saw a fastback GT - didn't know about them before. LOOKED GREAT as is - doesn't need a body kit!
Found my 87 GT with 27,000 kms (16,875 miles) and bought it for $9750 in 1990.

I wanted an 88 but couldn't find one - only 423 88 GTs were sold in Canada, while 1086 87 GTs were sold.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Another story...

A former Pontiac Dealer employee (Parts Department I think) saw my Indy at a Show n Shine.
While he remembered the Fiero, he never saw an Indy before.

He was totally blown away by the SD4 engine when I showed him the SD4 Guide with part numbers and everything.
He didn't know the engine even existed. I guess nobody up here ever ordered any SD4 engine parts.
dinocaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dinocaprioSend a Private Message to dinocaprioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took my Formula to get inspected and the young man asked me to pop the hood to check the engine. When I went to the back of the car he said the hood not the trunk in a smug sorta way. So I did and when he came over to take a look he said what happened to the engine. I said its electric and the exhaust sound came from a speaker under the car. I had him going for about 5 minutes until his father (owner of the shop } told me to stop messing with his son.
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had never heard of them until 2000, my sophomore year in high school. My Beretta GTZ threw a rod and i was looking for a new car. A friend told me about this little 2 seater that a guy he worked with was selling. It turned out to be 1986 2m6 with a 5spd. He wanted 1200$ for it and we worked out a deal that I would pay him in installments until I had paid for it in full and got to take it home. I drove the piss out ta that car for quite sometime until it overheated on me and also had a lower end problem. I sold that to a local guy named Bill (used to be on the forums not sure if he's still around from Sherrard, IL). About 5 months later I picked up an 86 GT with the 4 speed and a carb'd 350. Holy balls was that thing fast with the 4:10 in it. Ended up selling it for me and my newly acquired spousal unit to move to AZ for me to attend UTI. Always wanted another one until 3 months ago when I bought my 87 GT from forum member Deloreanant. Now my disease is stronger than ever and i can't wait to unveil it sometime next year. I have a few things done/planned that i don't believe has been done yet.

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 08-27-2013).]

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With as many that where made I don't know why I never see them. Maybe the "Cash for clunkers" thing.
MeAndMyFi

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MeAndMyFiSend a Private Message to MeAndMyFiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah reminds me of a car show and i brought my fiero into the race track and opened the hood and trunk... so many people looked at my spare tire and were stumped thinking that it was my "engine" should make a sticker and put it up front and have it say something like "check the cargo" or something like "hampster powered" just to mess with them more.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MeAndMyFi:

Ah reminds me of a car show and i brought my fiero into the race track and opened the hood and trunk... so many people looked at my spare tire and were stumped thinking that it was my "engine" should make a sticker and put it up front and have it say something like "check the cargo" or something like "hampster powered" just to mess with them more.

Dumbest thing is that as they stare at the engine at tne BACK of the car they ask "is it front wheel drive?"

I don't answer outright. I just say "... look at the car again and THINK about what you just asked me."
They usually blush when they realize how illogically stupid their question is.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-29-2013).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dinocaprio:

I took my Formula to get inspected and the young man asked me to pop the hood to check the engine. When I went to the back of the car he said the hood not the trunk in a smug sorta way. So I did and when he came over to take a look he said what happened to the engine. I said its electric and the exhaust sound came from a speaker under the car. I had him going for about 5 minutes until his father (owner of the shop } told me to stop messing with his son.

Too funny I LOL for a long time
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dinocaprio:

I had an older inspector, (in his 50s) argue with me that my car had to be a front wheel drive because there was no differential under it. He insisted on putting the front wheels on the dyno... I took my keys away from him and told him to get away from my car. He was pi$$ed.
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I had an older inspector, (in his 50s) argue with me that my car had to be a front wheel drive because there was no differential under it. He insisted on putting the front wheels on the dyno... I took my keys away from him and told him to get away from my car. He was pi$$ed.

Reminds me of the last time I had my Fiero emissions tested... I pulled in, the car was running (loud) with nobody else at the station, the lady put the mirror-on-a-stick under the front of the car to check for a catalyst, stood there puzzled for a minute, then proceeded to ask, "is it electric?"

I just looked at her like then, both mildly amused and exasperated, said "it's in the back." They don't hire the brightest folks in town to work at these places.

They're apparently not allowed to do a test on a manual transmission car either, the driver is normally supposed to step aside and let them do the KOER test on the diagnostic scanner for OBD-II cars... If you've got a stick, you're staying in the driver's seat and they can't touch anything. I guess they've damaged a car or two before.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:
They're apparently not allowed to do a test on a manual transmission car either, the driver is normally supposed to step aside and let them do the KOER test on the diagnostic scanner for OBD-II cars... If you've got a stick, you're staying in the driver's seat and they can't touch anything. I guess they've damaged a car or two before.

I wish Texas had that rule... I can't tell you how many times the inspector started my car in 5th gear smoking my clutch in the process.
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first Fiero I ever saw was a red notch that was always parked in the lot when I was in college. Didn't think much more about them until I got mine. Now I see Fieros everywhere, but that's something that usually happens to me after I buy a car. They seem to come out of the woodwork, or probably I just start noticing more. I also have dealt with the whole "Hey, where's the engine?!?" thing. Kinda funny really.
Trekker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrekkerClick Here to visit Trekker's HomePageSend a Private Message to TrekkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ROFL! For the second time in a row yesterday the guy at the emissions test place opened the hood only to find the engine missing! Thought he would have remembered his embarrasment from last time....................

------------------

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trekker:

ROFL! For the second time in a row yesterday the guy at the emissions test place opened the hood only to find the engine missing! Thought he would have remembered his embarrasment from last time....................

I'm surprised they could find the hood popper lever. I always liked how it was sort of stealth.
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beeing a teenager living across the street from Plant 15 I saw them everyday from my front yard. The wife and I were up there this past spring. We drove around the ole neighborhood and around the old employee parking lot. There's trees growing in the lot now. Reminded me of the streets in Wil Smith's "I am Legend" movie.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has the Autozone guy seen a Fuego, Pulsar or LN7?
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what the big deal is. Most Fieros are long gone to scrap, and not all that fascinating to the general public anyway. He probably hasn't seen a 280 ZX or a Mercury Capri either.. so what?
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two years ago I was at a big event in Charlotte Motor Speedway, and when they call out my class to go to the grid I was getting thumbs up from every woman, man and child.
When I parked I was surrounded by kids with their dads! The car was idling and I couldn't hear what they were saying because I had my helmet on and the Fiero is unmuffled, but they took a lot of pictures.

My wife was next to the photographer that took this picture and she tells me that almost everybody on the stand was shouting "Go little Fiero, go!!"
After that day, my wife approved of me owing a Fiero, she used to hate it! She learned to respect it!
Overall, I'm very proud Fiero owner. This car has given me the satisfaction that any other car I had has given me in every aspect!

Rei Moloon

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock