ECM replacement opinions! by LeeR
Started on: 08-22-2013 07:57 PM
Replies: 9 (562 views)
Last post by: LeeR on 08-24-2013 02:58 PM
LeeR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I currenly have an active thread going on over here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129849.html regarding an issue that I am having with my Fiero. from everything I've seen I feel like the issue may be the ECM not firing the injectors. So I may be in the market for a new/reman ECM.

My question is since I am going to spend a little bit of money to replace it, should I go the stock route or should I do the 7730 swap out? I could not find any instruction on how to re-wire the 7730 to work with my 2.8 so that's what has me worried. Can any one who's done it or is considering doing it chime in for me?

My cost for a remanufactured Standard brand 7730 ECM is $69. I just need to know if it is very difficult to do and where I might find instructions on the re-wire

EDIT: can anyone tell me what the "$88 code mask" is that's mentioned in the first post here? //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000088.html

[This message has been edited by LeeR (edited 08-22-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cost of that reman 7730 ecm prolly does not include a v6 memcal, you will need one of those as well. I have pulled several 7730's from the JY with V6 memcals and they have all worked. Everything you need to know about the swap is in that thread you linked about the $88 code mask. The $88 code mask is what the computer uses, its like its basic program. Read thru that entire thread and it will pretty much tell you how to do the swap.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could also run an EBL... flash memory, datalogging, and almost self-tuning via wideband. If/when modifications come to mine, this is what I'll be running... have one in my 383-powered TBI/Vortec pickup and I love it.
www.dynamicefi.com
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

The cost of that reman 7730 ecm prolly does not include a v6 memcal, you will need one of those as well. I have pulled several 7730's from the JY with V6 memcals and they have all worked. Everything you need to know about the swap is in that thread you linked about the $88 code mask. The $88 code mask is what the computer uses, its like its basic program. Read thru that entire thread and it will pretty much tell you how to do the swap.

Ill take a better look at that thread, thanks! There aren't as many good junk yards here in Hawaii but maybe I'll get lucky!

Originally posted by Doober:

You could also run an EBL... flash memory, datalogging, and almost self-tuning via wideband. If/when modifications come to mine, this is what I'll be running... have one in my 383-powered TBI/Vortec pickup and I love it.
www.dynamicefi.com

I'll check that out, thanks!

Originally posted by chetw77cruiser:

There is always this one.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119333.html

Thanks for the heads up! Is there an advantage to using this ECM as compared to the 7730?

EDIT: Hey Chetw77cruiser I just read through the thread and I see this is your brain-child! I'd love to throw some support your way whilst making my car better! Are you selling this set up?

[This message has been edited by LeeR (edited 08-23-2013).]

chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wiring is here:

http://www.gmtuners.com/files/index.htm

Just get a 1227730 from a v6 and the memcal will be right. They were used in v8,and I think 4cyl applications as well, so look for the v6 source.

The 1227730 can use lots of different code. For a stock v6, $88 is prolly your best bet. I'd locate some code first, so you don't end up with a useless box.

The big advantage to me is that all the Moates stuff works with the 1227730 (Ostrich etc), so you can tune if you want to in the future. It will take a newer eeprom as well, not just the old eprom. Also, the data stream is way faster, and using tunerpro and a 2 transistor cct, or an usb-aldl cable you can make use of tunerpro's very advanced features.
Chay
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There used to be a junk yard by where Nimitz highway split going towards mililani wipahu area past the pearl city mall. That is if your coming from pearl. It was off a little side street, and they had a good bit of cars. This was a few years ago when i was stationed at pearl harbor.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are interested - 7730 $40 + 7 shipping. Includes stock V6 ME/CAL + I will include the set of 7730 connectors. When re-wiring it is convenient to have a set of the three 7730 connectors so you can take the wires one at a time from the Fiero ECM connectors and then place it immediately into the correct place on the 7730 connector.

You will either need a PROM adapter - Moates - http://www.moates.net/g1-me...c-p-32.html?cPath=64
or
to socket your MEM/CAL so it will take the PROM chip - http://lt1swap.com/pictures/memcal_socketed.jpg

The Moates is $35 + shipping. I will socket the MEM/CAL inside the 7730 for $25 - no shipping costs if you are buying the 7730 from me.

You will also need a PROM programmed for the swap - http://gmtuners.com

email me at gofast@reddevilriver.com if you are interested in my junk.
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much for the info gentlemen! I can always count on getting great info from everyone here!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock