Started on: 08-21-2013 06:47 PM
Replies: 36 (819 views)
Last post by: rwhughes on 05-15-2014 08:52 PM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Washed one of the Indys today and was going to move it--but it has a dead battery. Been awhile since I drove it.
Opened the decklid, pulled the battery cover off and was met with a cloud of red wasps--yellow jackets on steroids.
They finally settled down and I got the nerve to get close--a nest as wide as the battery is long.
I'm thinking about hooking the battery charger up, chatging the battery, putting the cover on, close the decklid and start it till the temp in the engine compartment builds up and drives em out.
Or wet the nest down with a little water, let them all return and touch the nest with my 1 joule 3000V cattle prod.
Any other suggestions?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spray it and the wasps with brake clean.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine heat might work. You might find yourself in yet another angry cloud, however.
If you're not in a hurry, you can probably charge the battery with a battery tender plugged into the cigarette lighter, if you really don't want to get up close and personal.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-21-2013).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't get to the wasps themselves--they are on the underside of the nest. I hate spraying chems in there--might dissolve the rubber goods worse than age already has.
Someone told me a good mix of Dawn dish soap and water squirted on them keeps them from flying--any truth to that?
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Spray it and the wasps with brake clean.

Absolutely, if more people new about this Raid would be out of business.

Brake clean is the world's greatest bug spray.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJimmy:

Absolutely, if more people new about this Raid would be out of business.

Brake clean is the world's greatest bug spray.

Well that makes 2 for Brake Klean. I have a couple new cans of it so, if ya don't hear back, you'll know it went badly.

...........I'm goin' in
(cue ..Ride of the Valkyries)
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a mixture of water, dawn and peppermint oil. It actually kills them, but not instantly. It soaks into the nests real good.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THAT, did not work--the Brake Klean. They come outta there like flies off a cow turd, the sky turned red and everything I sprayed just kept a flyin.
Goin to town in my truck and get some hornet spray.
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those must be some serious wasps, I've never seen anything that stayed airborne after getting hit.
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He forgot the lighter...
Wait, don't do that near a Fiero!
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try Fantastic or 409 heavy duty cleaner, just pour it on the nest so it will soak in, and wait a day or two.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PB Blaster! It even has a stream spray so you don't have to stand right up close.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
raid always seems to work to.. quick and easy.
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Soapy water will ground them......temporarily. This would be akin to being a small country and holding off the US Army for an hour.....evenutally, you will be outnumbered and over-run. They can't fly when their wings are wet....but they will dry off, become airborne, and very hostile.

I have no idea how to handle this correctly. I'm a big sissy when it comes to insects that fly and sting. I would probably wait until the first hard freeze and then remove the nest
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

I would probably wait until the first hard freeze and then remove the nest

That is EXACTLY what I do
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

PB Blaster! It even has a stream spray so you don't have to stand right up close.

This is what I use, even if I miss but the mist hits them, they fall right out of the sky. lol

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frizlefrak:

Soapy water will ground them......temporarily. This would be akin to being a small country and holding off the US Army for an hour.....evenutally, you will be outnumbered and over-run. They can't fly when their wings are wet....but they will dry off, become airborne, and very hostile.

I have no idea how to handle this correctly. I'm a big sissy when it comes to insects that fly and sting. I would probably wait until the first hard freeze and then remove the nest

In El Paso Texas you'd do that? Hell, that far south, you could be waiting till the tires dryrotted off. FYI tho, wasps don't freeze and die off in the winter. They don't build nests and raise young either in winter--they find somewhere nice and warm and cozy and form a flat cluster, one on top of the other kind of like bees in a hive in the coldest nights. The insulation under your house, loose bark on a rotten stump around here, and......on old cars or cars not often driven, the loose insulation in the engine compartment. Seen 'em lots of times in junkyards when I'd pull the insulation back to check for rust. They can't hardly fly in cold weather, but on a nice warm winter day, they'll come out and forage for food and water--or for you.

I did finally get enough of them gone to get the battery out. Replace it tomorrow, but pretty sure there is another nest under the front hood and maybe inside the passenger door jamb.
Fiero games...
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ugh. I had some wasps (nothing like yours!) make nests in the door jambs of my Suburban, which doesn't get used much. I used CRC Brake Cleaner and it killed most of them, and grounded the others. I fought with them for an entire summer - I'd kill 'em, remove the nests, and find them right back within a couple weeks. They haven't been back since that epic fight, but this year I'm overrun with spiders instead. Good times.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 tractors parked in the same shed. The wasps will completely infest the red one and leave the gray one alone. I can jump on the gray one without fear, but have to wage a chemical assault on the red one every time. They prefer red?

I guess I should paint it faded, rusty gray.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I have 2 tractors parked in the same shed. The wasps will completely infest the red one and leave the gray one alone. I can jump on the gray one without fear, but have to wage a chemical assault on the red one every time. They prefer red?

I guess I should paint it faded, rusty gray.

Reminds me of plowing while wearing a red hat, the
bees/wasps would attack that hat. If I wore a different
color, then they left me alone.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, you people sure use some weird stuff to kill wasps.

I use... *drumroll*... WASP SPRAY! *horns/applause*

10'-15' stream, instant death, cleans off with water.

I'd rather save my Brake Kleen for cleaning brake parts.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow

PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Ugh. I had some wasps (nothing like yours!) make nests in the door jambs of my Suburban, which doesn't get used much. I used CRC Brake Cleaner and it killed most of them, and grounded the others. I fought with them for an entire summer - I'd kill 'em, remove the nests, and find them right back within a couple weeks. They haven't been back since that epic fight, but this year I'm overrun with spiders instead. Good times.

If you leave the dead nests in place, it deters new wasps from nesting there.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Man, you people sure use some weird stuff to kill wasps.

I use... *drumroll*... WASP SPRAY! *horns/applause*

10'-15' stream, instant death, cleans off with water.

I'd rather save my Brake Kleen for cleaning brake parts.

Tried that too. If they died, they did it off in the woods where they flew to. I have yet to find a single dead wasp in the eng compartment or around the car except the ones that landed on the ground and I squashed with my boot. Mean motorscooters these are.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don, was this the one that jscott1 now has? Or is it the other one? What's the status of the one you still have?
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, that is now Proud4.

I still (for now) have the other Indy. It too will be finding a new home soon.
I simply have no time left in my life due to extended family obligations to give them (Fieros) the time and care they need and deserve.
I hate it, but being the youngest (age 64) of 4 siblings and the only one in reasonably good health means I am on 24 hr beck and call. Also taking care of 4 and sometimes 5 different pieces of family rural property, only one of them mine, and often meet myself coming back from one on the way to another.
Something had to give, and naturally, it was something of mine.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 05-14-2014).]

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the past I've used Oven Cleaner or Spray Paint. The Spray Paint will make them too heavy to fly, but obviously will damage the paint on the car. Oven Cleaner works well on bugs I've found too.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:
I simply have no time left in my life due to extended family obligations

You're a good man, Don.
I know that really doesn't make it any easier, but it is recognized.

Take care.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, that is now Proud4.

I still (for now) have the other Indy. It too will be finding a new home soon.
I simply have no time left in my life due to extended family obligations to give them (Fieros) the time and care they need and deserve.
I hate it, but being the youngest (age 64) of 4 siblings and the only one in reasonably good health means I am on 24 hr beck and call. Also taking care of 4 and sometimes 5 different pieces of family rural property, only one of them mine, and often meet myself coming back from one on the way to another.
Something had to give, and naturally, it was something of mine.

Glad to see them going to caring ppl that can give them the needed attention and bring tthem back to life...

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should keep one Fiero and Make time for yourself to enjoy it!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throw some gas on it and.... oh wait never mind

How about you dress up like a female wasp and lure them to the pond!

or

Convince the wasp that THEIR car is in Jscott's backyard. maybe they will move.

or

Wait for a flood, but that may take a while....

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howd you do this stuff without getting stung? Or were you stung? The wasps we have are probly not as big but if they have it out for you its quite difficult to get away unless you have a spray good enough to hit them all as they come out of an opening.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don, I havent seen a Texas Red Wasp since we moved to Galveston county a yera ago. I am sure they are here, but just not in the San Jacinto county billions.

-Joe
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few colors like red and yellow attract bugs. Go to any car show where theres grass and look at the yellow cars...they get covered with bugs.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Don, I havent seen a Texas Red Wasp since we moved to Galveston county a yera ago. I am sure they are here, but just not in the San Jacinto county billions.

-Joe

Notice--This is a year old thread.

This time of year, they will congregate and build nests anywhere if the object isn't used or moved frequently.
My out-of-state resident brother has a home on Bolivar Peninsula, Galveston County Texas that he only stays in about once/month. Last weekend, he found wasps in his lawn mower, his golf cart, his storage building and under the sink of his outdoor cleanup station.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The most effective way that I found to kill wasps is plain old dish soap and water. I put it in a garden sprayer and go kill wasps without any damage to you the car or the enviroment.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, that is now Proud4. I still (for now) have the other Indy. It too will be finding a new home soon.

Does that mean you have already found a new owner, or does it mean you will soon start looking for a new owner?
rwhughes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rwhughesSend a Private Message to rwhughesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hot water is extremely effective on most bugs, they can't handle the sudden temperature change. Hook a hose up to your water heater drain, put on a normal nozzle set for a solid stream, and let it run until the water coming out is good and hot. It doesn't hurt to set the heater up to 145 (old standard) an hour before you start. Then just hose them down. I've done this to bees (killer type apparently, 40+ stings before the hosing), hornets, and yellow jackets but not red wasps yet. Brake cleaner has a tendency to remove paint and destroy rubber.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock