Started on: 08-19-2013 02:39 PM
Replies: 19 (1695 views)
Last post by: sco77 on 08-20-2013 07:26 PM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull your oil filter housing (1) off the engine. Have a look at the orientation of the oil pressure relief valve spring & piston. Once you pull the oil filter housing off, if you see the spring (4) first, it is installed backwards! The spring (4) goes into the timing cover, then the piston (3), & finally the oil filter housing bolts on. if it is backwards, you will loose oil pressure and then engine damage will occur. This is what killed my Whodumbass engine.

This is also a good time to the do the oil pressure valve spring mod too!

It is supposed to look like this:

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 08-19-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That information is incorrect....lol......you edited, I edited.....regardless, we both have the same answer

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 08-19-2013).]

bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
quick google search for ya. First pic...

https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+3800+oil+pressure+relief+valve&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MWkSUrmAGMWTyQHBpIBI&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=643#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=4112c86c573ce954&q=%22gm+3800+oil+pressure+relief+valve%22&sa=1&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While on the topic of oil pressure, what is a good oil pressure for 3800? Mine starts out nearly maxed (~80) when cold, then after 15-20 mins at full operating temp it sits around 50psi, maybe 45.. This is with 10w30 synthetic. I'm not so sure how accurate my gauge is, sender is a brand new AC Delco {88' Fiero one}.

Edit: Also I can't believe how much trouble you went through having this swap done, this is why I do everything myself, I always get screwed in the end when having stuff done by others or mechanics. And the cost is farr less, my swap didn't cost much over 3k, and I am confident in the quality of the build.
------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

[This message has been edited by sco77 (edited 08-19-2013).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...and the hits just keep on coming. yeesh.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-19-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

That information is incorrect....lol......you edited, I edited.....regardless, we both have the same answer

Dave

LOL in my haste to post it, I explained it incorrectly. Also in speaking with Jeff @ Engineered Performance in Atlanta. This is a VERY common problem with Whodumbass engines.

Edit to add:
sco77 Thats perfect for the 3800 if a bit on the high side when cold.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 08-19-2013).]

crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The oil pressure sounds good for a fresh, tight engine.
My SBC had the same pressure when it was fresh, and
it dropped after a few years.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn....my spring is missing completely! Wait, where the heck is my engine...its missing! What the....where the heck is the car???
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car when cold is all the way to the right and drops down once the engine is hot.
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't want to highjack this thread, I posted in another thread and only got two hits. I have a 3800SC series lll and out of no where my oil pressure gauge ( after market ) started reading high ( 100 Pds ) Does anyone have any ideas what the cause would be? Gauge , sending unit , etc. And where would they be located ?
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sending unit should be located down on the oil filter adapter on the 3800 engine
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IIKool:

I don't want to highjack this thread, I posted in another thread and only got two hits. I have a 3800SC series lll and out of no where my oil pressure gauge ( after market ) started reading high ( 100 Pds ) Does anyone have any ideas what the cause would be? Gauge , sending unit , etc. And where would they be located ?

Could be the sensor or the oil bypass piston is getting a bit sticky in its bore. 3.8's have a gear mesh oil pump so its going to make X amount of psi per X amount of RPM not matter what. The oil pressure spring can alter the pressure as well as a few other things. Mounted near the passenger side strut tower, between the axle and crank pulley.
IIKool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Could be the sensor or the oil bypass piston is getting a bit sticky in its bore. 3.8's have a gear mesh oil pump so its going to make X amount of psi per X amount of RPM not matter what. The oil pressure spring can alter the pressure as well as a few other things. Mounted near the passenger side strut tower, between the axle and crank pulley.

Is that in the pic, in the first post ?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Damn....my spring is missing completely! Wait, where the heck is my engine...its missing! What the....where the heck is the car???

Hey, John, I've got a spring you can have. I think it came off the exhaust system. Will that work? When you get the chance call me about the Joel Project, Please.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone even get a 3800 back from Dean? From what I gather more are missing than were returned.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They were returned alright, just not to the PPL that owned them.

Originally posted by mptighe:

Did anyone even get a 3800 back from Dean? From what I gather more are missing than were returned.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Dean 3800 SC Series II engine that runs well until it eats the fuel pump. Hopefully a DW200 pump will cure this habit since it was on pump number there prior to the DW200 pump.

Nelson
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I have a Dean 3800 SC Series II engine that runs well until it eats the fuel pump. Hopefully a DW200 pump will cure this habit since it was on pump number there prior to the DW200 pump.

Nelson

You probably need the Fuel pump hot wire mod.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Nelson

This doesn't sound right, unless you got some really crappy pumps or ones that aren't adequate for the engine.. Sounds a lot like it wasn't originally installed correctly or wired correctly.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV. Needs exhaust (ETA 9/13) Build Progress
98 GTP - Some mods

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock