Started on: 08-12-2013 10:54 AM
Replies: 22 (851 views)
Last post by: paced84 on 08-27-2013 06:32 PM
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice mention of our little cars.

http://www.airlinereporter....g-747-have-a-future/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice find.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^ What he said!
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 747 and the Fiero may have crossed paths once before. I read somewhere that the strobes used on the back of the scoop on the real Indy pace cars were 747 parts. Can anyone verify that?
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice metphor!

Dr. W.
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like fuel prices and efficiency are dictating both the airline and automotive world nowadays. There are way more "high mpg Fiero engine swap" topics than 10 years ago. I cant recall travelling in a 4-engine (747) or 3-engine (Tristar/DC10) plane since the 80's... The modern 2-engine boeings/airbusses now do the same with more efficiency and less noise..
I like the iconic 747's but these are/were for making profit while Fiero's are a hobby you can spend your money on, never get it back and still have fun
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not realize that 747's had an issue with catching on fire?
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only when they are serving PIE!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't realize the 747 was a mid engine design! I also didn't realize it was also a two seater! (LOL)
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice find. Thanks for sharing!
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Too much wheel gap. Needs lowered.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

The 747 and the Fiero may have crossed paths once before. I read somewhere that the strobes used on the back of the scoop on the real Indy pace cars were 747 parts. Can anyone verify that?

Yes the pace car used the wing tip light strobe in the scoop or so was claimed back in the day. they said it was from a 747 but it could have been used in many different planes too.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-15-2013).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Interesting story but kind of stretching it a bit.

There are many factors on top of what they have names for the decline of the 747.

There were regulations for planes that they had to have 3 or more engines for long haul over water flights and today there are many two engine planes that can fly on one engine safely that are approve for these routes.

The 777 is only the first of Composite planes that will come in more models. It is lighter and stronger etc.

Cost savings of these new and more efficient planes are important to airlines that are on the brink. Also the cost of 2 more engines in fuel and maintenance etc. There are still routes that can use the big planes and cargo companies but many of these large planes are half full and can be replaced with a much smaller efficient plane.

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fly a four engine plane that can fly on one engine.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I fly a four engine plane that can fly on one engine.

Will that one engine take you further than the scene of the crash?

-Dave
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Yes the pace car used the wing tip light strobe in the scoop or so was claimed back in the day. they said it was from a 747 but it could have been used in many different planes too.

In my discussions with John Callies, I was told that the "747" story is a myth. They designed the scoop from scratch and that it came from Allied Signal (if I recall correctly). Fred or Ron would likely know more.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are many factors on top of what they have names for the decline of the 747.

The fact that we are talking about the "decline" of a plane that first flew in 1969 in the year 2013 is a great testament to it's great design. When's the last time you saw a passenger DC-10 or L-1011? Those left passenger service a LONG time ago.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

In my discussions with John Callies, I was told that the "747" story is a myth. They designed the scoop from scratch and that it came from Allied Signal (if I recall correctly). Fred or Ron would likely know more.

That is why I added the so they claim. I always felt the writer of this may have distorted it. I suspect they may have had it made by the company that makes the 747 Light. A strobe is pretty much a strobe and they just fabbed one up for Pontiac.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by jscott1:

The fact that we are talking about the "decline" of a plane that first flew in 1969 in the year 2013 is a great testament to it's great design. When's the last time you saw a passenger DC-10 or L-1011? Those left passenger service a LONG time ago.

I don't dispute this at all. The decline is just mostly due to the times and the economic impact of air lines today. They have adapted it much and it is even being transformed for other uses like Fire Water Tankers etc.

The fact is the industry is just moving away from 4 engines since they no longer are required for most oversea flights.

If you look the 737 is still in even greater numbers with new engines is older than the 747 but the two engines have been it's life extender. It's roots go to the 50's as it was based on the 707.

The one plane though that will out do them all is the B52. They expect it to be in service in some form right up to 100 years. Now that is amazing.

I love the work of Boeing.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The one plane though that will out do them all is the B52. They expect it to be in service in some form right up to 100 years. Now that is amazing.

I love the work of Boeing.

I do too. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that the original widebody outlived the ones that came after it. The 737 is another success story, it outlived the 757 and has gone on to surpass it in size, fuel efficiency and comfort. And 50 years later it's still in production.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I do too. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just pointing out that the original widebody outlived the ones that came after it. The 737 is another success story, it outlived the 757 and has gone on to surpass it in size, fuel efficiency and comfort. And 50 years later it's still in production.

The last L1011 I saw was the one I took from Hawaii. I still had visions of the one in Chicago that had the engine falling off when we were flying.

The DC10 is still around but the most of them I see are the Military version that is a tanker. Not sure what they call that one.

Airbus and Boeing pretty much own the market and they are now putting up a good fight with each other. I hope they get the bugs out of the Dream Liner as it will change the industry as well as the planes they make from it.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The DC10 is still around but the most of them I see are the Military version that is a tanker. Not sure what they call that one.

KC-10 Extender. See one about once a week out here. They refuel our 747.

http://www.flickr.com/photo...artjunco/4098926897/

As far as the Pace car using 747 lights, I took a look at our beacon and NAV. lights today out of curiosity. The beacon on the belly is oval at the base and cone shape to the top with both sides being flat bottomed, not rounded out like the pace car. The wingtip NAV lights are also tear dropped shaped with the actual lens portion only being about 8 inches long 5 inches side. The top beacon would be the closest as it is rounded but the center is the highest point making it very cone shaped.
paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had conversation with John Callies today. Entire Indy snorkel, & lens were hand crafted. Power supplys federal signal J20, and federal signal strobe tubes John said that these type of strobes were used on the 747.

Ron T
Historian
Indy owner #305
parts cars #244 & #861 (scraped)

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock