Light at the end of the tunnel by crashyoung
Started on: 08-11-2013 03:56 PM
Replies: 11 (393 views)
Last post by: crashyoung on 08-15-2013 11:21 PM
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I was working on my 86, and some of the guys at work said I should paint my
car as it was looking very ragged, the usual fading and oxidized clear coat.
So I bought a few cans of primer, some metallic gold, and some gloss clear.
Needless to say, many cans later, and 90% of the car is the same color, and
80% of the gloss has been applied.
It feels very good to see this old girl with fresh paint and modernized LED guide
and brake lights.
Once I get her done, I will take some pictures and post them.
I am very happy with the results for a bug bomb paint job in the driveway!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The next person who ends up with the task of ever painting that car again, is going to curse the ground you walk on. All that rattle can paint will need to be completely removed in order to ever paint the car correctly with true automotive paint. It will all have to be sanded off and rattle can paint clogs up sand paper like bar soap will a scotch brite pad.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no worries! I'm sure Crash plans to keep it forever....
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If my Fiero needs to be repainted or repaired, it will be easier than if a shop did it.
I had to reshoot a mirror due to a close encounter of the driving kind.
My other Fiero that was painted by a shop with 'professional' results
has some flaws that needs repair, but it isn't something easy to do as
the paint is a custom color, and the shop is out of business.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please post pictures when it is done. I'd like to see it.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many cans?
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did that to the 88 coupe I had. Lady from Murray Lake was backing her Tahoe up and didn't see my car parked on the street. She had three accidents and repairs that were not her fault and her ins guy told her she would be better off to pay for it out of pocket. I got some estimates and she gave me the puppy dog cry I cant afford that. So I made her a deal and did it myself. I planned on getting great parts and just replace parts and no body work. Unfortunately the junk yard lied about the condition of the parts so I ended up learning how to do filler and paint. I had to replace the drivers side front fender and door. Front fender came out great and the door turned out good. Oh I did the rocker panel cover also. Dupli color worked out ok. I cant do it on the new car as dupli color doesn't offer the maroon.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-11-2013).]

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An 'E' for effort. Even spray paint is a good alternative... Some folks can't always pony up for a bodyshop paint job and some don't have access to the equipment. It was years before I could do a professional job. Kudos for making an effort on keeping your car looking good. Just my opinion.
~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 08-12-2013).]

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have not kept track of how many cans, but it is about 1 can of primer, 2 cans of
base and 2 cans clear per panel, but the hood deck lid will require a bit more, while
other panels require less.
I will get pictures when it is done, the before pics, I think everyone knows what oxidized
base and clear looks like, hazy silver and crud.
I have some 'extra touches' I will be doing as well, but I will post those pics later.
Before I started, I didn't want to be seen driving it, now I feel good driving it!
I have had two Fieros professionally painted, and while it didn't take long to have it done,
and they looked very nice after, I am taking more time to do it, but it is much less expensive to do.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the car today, I realized I am almost done! The panels that were
poorly painted, or roached from the sun are all one even color.
I am down to the front bumper needing color, and a few panels needing clear.

I was unsure how the paint would work out, being rattle can paint, but I am
pleased with the results. If anyone were to ask me if I would do it again, I
would say yes, it is that good.

The one thing that worried me the most is our barn cats. I was worried I
would find one or two had jumped on to the car before the paint was dry.
I was lucky tho, no cats, or big insects jumped on to the wet paint!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Painting the car does give that feel of accomplishment. For an out of a can job it will last longest if kept garaged between drives, and of course not driven winters. Make sure to let things dry/cure between coats and before any wax, and not to mix types of paint much. Lacquer/enamel, etc..
Best of luck.
PFF
System Bot
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I do keep the Fieros in my barn/garage, so the elements should not be too bad.
Only the front bumper needs paint, but I need to fix some cracks/splits before I paint it.
Even the wife is happy about how it is turning out!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock