Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Description of a Fiero for sale on eBay - Upgrades??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Description of a Fiero for sale on eBay - Upgrades?? by NetCam
Started on: 08-10-2013 03:08 PM
Replies: 5 (332 views)
Last post by: NetCam on 08-11-2013 01:07 PM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, is it just me, or does only 1 of the items in the description qualify as an 'upgrade'??

I have done a few upgrades to the vehicle since I bought it. They include:

· Replaced the driver side door panel with a used one bought on EBAY

· Replaced rear brake calipers

· Replaced brake system master cylinder

· Replaced original AM/FM Cassette radio (did not work well)

· Replaced Water Pump

· Recharged the Air Conditioning System (works great)

The driver’s side door panel was replaced because a previous owner had cut a hole in the top and installed a power door lock mechanism. Why? I have no idea. Perhaps they could not fix the factory door locks?? So I bought a replacement on EBAY and had my mechanic install it, remove the extra power door lock system.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in automotive language fixing an item so that the car runs and drives and stops is not an "upgrade"

but I understand what he's trying to say.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it when people list "mods" such as an air filter, spark plugs & wires, and other regular maintenance items.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I like it when people list "mods" such as an air filter, spark plugs & wires, and other regular maintenance items.

It depends... If you buy something a little nicer than stock it could be considered upgrade. I have an MSD coil on my car. Never thought of it as an upgrade but when I was getting it smog tested the tech looked at it and remarked about my upgraded ignition.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's really at it's core just a misuse of automotive nomenclature. If you want to get technical, replacing an old part with a new part is an "upgrade" as you have placed a better part than what would have been there, but it is not an "upgrade" in the sense of what the term should be applied to when referring to automobiles. The nature of the sellers' list would be different - say if it was actually the case - if that for instance if the brake components were designed different from OEM to work better that could be considered an "upgrade". I would think though that the parts used were just simply aftermarket maintenance items. Most of what is on that list is generic maintenance items to be serviced, so a potentially more proper terminology would be "recently serviced items include;" and then list those items.

The only thing that may actually qualify for an "upgrade" on that list as it's been presented would have been the radio replacement, but that depends on what the replacement radio actually is. Since many people do not use cassettes anymore a CD player would be considered an "upgrade", even if you used a newer GM factory radio in the Fiero's AM/FM cassette player's place.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess there's a fine line between what we consider a replacement and an upgrade. I don't think replacing a door is an upgrade unless it's a Lambo door (and 2 of them ). As far as the stereo goes, I would think most would consider going from a tape deck to a CD an upgrade, although some (purists) would rather stick with the stock radio. I gave up quite a while ago trying to keep mine looking stock (A PO had already replaced the head unit with a piece of junk that I quickly replaced). The only thing I've done to my car so far that I would call an upgrade is the Gen 1 to Gen 2 headlight swap. The stereo is an upgrade to me, but I'm sure to others they would say it's an abomination

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 08-11-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock