Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Buffing enamel paint- What compound to use?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Buffing enamel paint- What compound to use? by tesmith66
Started on: 08-09-2013 08:13 AM
Replies: 2 (1470 views)
Last post by: BlackEmrald on 08-09-2013 03:23 PM
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What buffing compounds and pads do you guys use to buff fresh enamel? I have sanded with 1200 grit and was using Maguiar's Mirror Glaze medium cut with a foam pad, but it's not working very good. It takes a LOT of compound and pressure to get anything to happen. Do I need something more aggressive?

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound on a tan foam pad. I have a partner that prefers a wool pad and he gets great results, too, but I prefer the foam. Takes a bit more time but the wool can cut faster creating potential burns faster. It's a preference thing. After the Super Duty I use a 3M Machine Glaze on a black foam pad and then a 3M Microfinishing Compound as a final swirl remover before 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to finish it off.

It's a lot of work but it works well. I avoid enamel as much as possible and much prefer the urethanes instead as enamels are not very easy to work with.

Good luck!

Mark the paint guy
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

What buffing compounds and pads do you guys use to buff fresh enamel? I have sanded with 1200 grit and was using Maguiar's Mirror Glaze medium cut with a foam pad, but it's not working very good. It takes a LOT of compound and pressure to get anything to happen. Do I need something more aggressive?

If you have only used 1200, I would recommend doing 2000 then 3000 wet. That is called a color sand. Make sure you use a DA, not just a regular sander.

THEN, use the 3M stuff like suggested. I like the compounds in the purple bottles, if you can find them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock