Home made low profile wing-stands. by AL87
Started on: 08-08-2013 02:17 PM
Replies: 20 (1340 views)
Last post by: AL87 on 08-10-2013 07:21 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made them myself out of 1/4" aluminum bar-stock.
I drilled a few holes, used some nuts and bolts, and new well-nuts.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thar be clear coat 'neath that wing!

Looks like it will work!
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Thar be clear coat 'neath that wing!

Looks like it will work!

Lol, yeah! I want to wet sand this baby smooth and then lay a matte black coat down on it one day, it... just looks and sounds mean.
XThirtySeven

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

Lol, yeah! I want to wet sand this baby smooth and then lay a matte black coat down on it one day, it... just looks and sounds mean.

For $300 you can plasti dip the whole car Matte Black without any sanding. Cool concept on the wing, if you make some fiberglass covers for the aluminum part it would look really sleek
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went and did some testing tonight, The wing held on with no buffeting at 120 cruise.

Also, the paint needs to be sanded to a stable surface. there is chipping, crazing, and delaminating. I want a smooth sleek surface first.

(I want my car to look and sound "evil" I want to go with a weathered time-tested look. thus a flat coat.
and the sound to scream like a banshee at 7k and blow flames at least a foot long out the tips when I let off at high rpms.

when it sits at idle, its cam makes it lope with a mild low growl. and at night, it glows red. with an unknown figure as its driver)
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went and did some testing tonight, The wing held on with no buffeting at 120 cruise.

and the sound to scream like a banshee at 7k and blow flames at least a foot long out the tips when I let off at high rpms.

I'm a big fan of stealth wings, but IMO its sitting a little far back. I think if you moved it forward 2-3in or so and maybe even angled it downwards just the slightest bit- it would look mean as hell. Those stands though, I hope they're just for mockup

[This message has been edited by nitroheadz28 (edited 08-08-2013).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XThirtySeven:

For $300 you can plasti dip the whole car Matte Black without any sanding.

Actually we just Plasti Dipped Stuart's (DIYStu) car in Frazee last week. It cost us about $60. We did it in flat black, with a red stripe from front to rear. I think the total was 8 cans of black, and 2 cans of red.

NOTE: Sanding DOES help! Stu's paint was bad, and the clear coat was flaking off. At the edges where the clear was peeling, you can clearly see that after we sprayed the car. It was worst on the drives door, so I peeled off the Plasti Dip, and sanded and re-did the drivers door to make it look a little better.

Here is a before pic:

Here are a couple pictures of the end result:

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No worries, the original (improved) stealth wing stands will be here very soon.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, first time that has ever happened to me on a forum! I posted, and when the page refreshed, there was a post after mine! Must have submitted at almost exactly the same time.....
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Wow, first time that has ever happened to me on a forum! I posted, and when the page refreshed, there was a post after mine! Must have submitted at almost exactly the same time.....

I thought the same thing.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I happen to like the "drag wing" look, even incorporated it into my Fiero.

Those wing stands look great as a proof of concept. But you'll want the final product to look more "car-like". You could probably wrap some fiberglass around those, and smooth it out. And with some black paint, the spoiler stands will fade into the background.

Best of luck!
PFF
System Bot
robiwon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AL87, got a shot from underneath the wing?

Stu's Plasti Dipped Fiero looks awesome. How long did it take to do the whole car?
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robiwon1:

AL87, got a shot from underneath the wing?

Stu's Plasti Dipped Fiero looks awesome. How long did it take to do the whole car?

About 60 min... to be fair though, there is only one coat and there should be at least three to make it really durable. Although, Stu's daughter scooted onto the hood and off again during the car show and it didn't scuff the dip, I was surprised. It was done one the spur of a moment and turned out pretty nice for what it is, but as John said... The paint was really rough and there are little clear coat tags all over it that you can't see in the pics.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

I'm a big fan of stealth wings, but IMO its sitting a little far back. I think if you moved it forward 2-3in or so and maybe even angled it downwards just the slightest bit- it would look mean as hell. Those stands though, I hope they're just for mockup

I wanted to have the wing sitting back and low like that to give it the "drag" look as mentioned.
Also, for ease of design, you can bolt the wing straight down onto the trunk the way it is right now.

I wanted it to be easy for me to install and align, most of the time consumed in this was involved in trying to make everything as simple for me as possible.

I don't want the car to look "nice" I want it to look kind of weathered. rad-rodded might be a better term?
I just don't want crazed paint, cracking paint, or peeling paint, OR for there to be no paint, a simple coat of some flat/matte black
will do me just fine.

I like the rough look of the bar-stock just bolted down on the trunk.

I would like to drop the car with some lowering springs, or at least, just the front an inch down, so the rake will look better.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AL87

2578 posts
Member since Mar 2010
each stand is made up of two pieces of 1/4" aluminum bar-stock/
each stand has 5 holes drilled into them. 2 mounting the wing to the trunk, and 3 mounting the wing to the stand.
the 3 drilled holes on the bottom piece of bar stock are just counter-sunk and their purpose is meant to hold the two pieces of bar-stock together as one when mounted to the wing, while not showing the bolts coming up from underneath.

also, the round bar going from stand to stand... that is just a bar, meant to help prop up the rear of the wing a little.
there are some spacers in there somewheres, on the rear bolt hole mounting the stands to the trunk, and there are spacers on the farthest back holes back for mounting the wing to the stands. the bar is just held in place by tension.

the wing has a little flex, so when going slow, it wiggles up and down some going over bumps, but at speed (120), it doesn't buffet at all.

(the bar is just there FOR NOW, I want to put a rounded light bar there as a brake light.)

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 08-09-2013).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually try my best to be kind, but... to each their own I guess.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I usually try my best to be kind, but... to each their own I guess.

Its okay bro, I know it looks like a mess. crude, but functional*
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its okay bro, I know it looks like a mess. crude, but functional*

Functional? Isn't this purely aesthetic?

Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

Functional? Isn't this purely aesthetic?

It should separate the air coming down off the roof from the air coming out from under the car to lower turbulence. Basically keep the air straight off the rear of the car.
( here is more info: http://www.hotrod.com/techa...ks_tips/viewall.html )

Like this: (not as good, but similar idea)

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 08-10-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87: I like the rough look of the bar-stock just bolted down on the trunk.

Fair enough. Although, I'd be tempted to round off the ends of the bars, just to clean them up a bit.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Fair enough. Although, I'd be tempted to round off the ends of the bars, just to clean them up a bit.

oh definitely, lol. and also to the other comment about separating the air from under the car from the air over the car, it does just that, I overfilled my trans a little and some of the fluid got on the rear bumper and under the wing, but not on top.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock