Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How many sets of keys came with a new car in 1984?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How many sets of keys came with a new car in 1984? by Dotrenrew
Started on: 08-08-2013 01:05 PM
Replies: 10 (336 views)
Last post by: 92wastheyear on 08-09-2013 05:14 PM
Dotrenrew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 4 ignition keys and 3 door keys. I thought only 2 sets came with a new car. Maybe the PO had additional keys cut at the dealership.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (FOR SALE)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta (FOR SALE)
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AS a GM sales person for over 36 years I can answer that question. Each new GM vehicle from 1977 when I started to now has 2 sets of keys from the factory.

Hows things on your side of the state?

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 08-08-2013).]

Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I thought. It original owner must have had a set for every occasion then. I think the black key is an original.

My side of the state is boring. I rarely see other Fieros over this way.

I just got back from a nice country drive. I saw a DeLorean, a Ferrari and a beautiful stingray, but no Fiero.

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure about other years but the 84's came with ignition keys that had black plastic with GM logos on them.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dotrenrew:

That's what I thought. It original owner must have had a set for every occasion then. I think the black key is an original.

My side of the state is boring. I rarely see other Fieros over this way.

I just got back from a nice country drive. I saw a DeLorean, a Ferrari and a beautiful stingray, but no Fiero.

You are not far from Lansing and I thought there was a big club in the area.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original keys had removable slip coats over the keys, both on the ignition and door/decklid key. Reproduction keys, including some from GM, often have the slip coat molded into the key so it is not removable. This is not the correct way the keys would have came with the car in 1984.

The Fiero Store sells reproductions of the GM slip coats for key blanks.

I think most of the reason why people made so many sets of keys for Fieros is because they've probably experienced locking a key in the car or decklid and wasn't able to get either open for whatever reason. I know most every Fiero I've bought has strangely enough had crazy amounts of keys. My '88 Formula I bought had five sets....
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

You are not far from Lansing and I thought there was a big club in the area.

Yes, there is the Capitol City Fiero club. I haven't met anyone from there yet.

I plan to do the Fiero fall color tour this october so I will meet a bunch of people then.

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 sets and a door key
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost all GM products I have bought since 1978 had two sets of keys. The ignition keys have always had the black plastic molded onto the key and the door/trunk keys have been the bare metal. However my 86 Fiero came new with one molded plastic door/trunk key and one bare metal.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in 64 and 65, and all cars at that time came with 2 sets of keys. Each had a number stamped in a knockout plug in the head of the key. This was the key number. Many of the service men or new car salesmen would take keys home after servicing or demonstrating a car and new keys had to be cut, then later the originals would show up on the board. Occasionally the purchaser of the new car would get several sets of extra keys in addition to the 2 original sets.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:
I know most every Fiero I've bought has strangely enough had crazy amounts of keys. My '88 Formula I bought had five sets....

I got the Fiero from my father who owned it for a couple of years....it had 2 sets of keys. He tells me that it came with one set when he purchased it.....the other set he found under the seat after he had had the car for about a year.

It was on this key chain

BTW the lucky keychain is the one I use

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay