Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Another clutch thread... Promise to be short. (Ok, I lied)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Another clutch thread... Promise to be short. (Ok, I lied) by TriumphFetish
Started on: 08-06-2013 10:40 PM
Replies: 3 (212 views)
Last post by: TriumphFetish on 08-07-2013 09:15 PM
TriumphFetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I've searched for and read every thread I can find on clutch issues, bleeding issues, shifting issues etc... It took me a week and a half of reading 24 hours a day to do it. :-)

I can't believe this clutch design is so troublesome, and yet, I find myself in the very same situation as many others.

I bought my 87 L4 / 5spd Notchie for 500 bucks, 97k miles. So far I have 850$ in it and I've driven it to work twice. (total of a hundred miles)
I replaced the clutch master and slave with O'reilly auto parts items as it wouldn't shift when I got it. New construction for the master and the slave.
I install them easy peasy, bleed the piss out of them and we're on the road.
Except, after about 50 shifts, it starts getting hard to go into gear... by 100 shifts... I can't get it in gear...
I bleed it again and again etc etc.... repeat the same 50/100 pattern.

After checking for the pedal being bent and all the other hot spots, the Master cylinder is leaking behind the boot. SOB!!!

So, I'm only out 80$, a quart of brake fluid and a Saturday. Lesson learned. RD master and slave shipped yesterday.

I am looking forward to being able to post "Rodney's parts have fixed another one." Cause man am I addicted to this little car...

I wonder how many engine / auto trans swaps were started because of the stupid hydraulic clutch?

Rant over.
Eric
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hear ya,Eric... My Indy convertible has been sitting in the garage all summer because of lousy hydraulics..
Same thing.. sloppy pedal,then very hard shifting.. (all parts are brand new) Sigh........
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you use autoparts store parts as well?
TriumphFetish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TriumphFetishSend a Private Message to TriumphFetishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TriumphFetish

98 posts
Member since Jul 2013
Rodney Dickman cures another clutch issue! SO happy!

Ordered them Saturday, they shipped Monday, arrived Wednesday, back on the road in less than two hours!!!

I hope the suspension and brake work goes as smoothly!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock