Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Billet Alm. Center console skeleton (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Billet Alm. Center console skeleton by evowake
Started on: 07-29-2013 01:28 PM
Replies: 54 (2672 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 05-15-2015 07:03 PM
evowake

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for evowakeSend a Private Message to evowakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay.... I'm burned out for the day - here it is so far:

IP: Logged
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's coming along good.
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by evowake:

That would be a good idea for making spares but I'm not sure homebrew molding would offer me the type of consistency, control, and quality that i'd be happy to install in my own car let alone offer to others, but then again I don't have a ton of experience with it. May be worth lookin into once i'm through. I can always modify the CAD models slightly and produce a positive to make a mold from. first priority is to finish one that i'm happy with for my '88 GT. I appreciate the offer on the CNC!

It is up to you but I would hardly call it home brew molding. It is pretty good stuff if you do it right. SLA to a mold for small production runs is not uncommon at all.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

evowake

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for evowakeSend a Private Message to evowakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small update for today. Need to take some measurements in the car itself to make sure this thing will sit down on to the frame properly, Then I can start working on the radio housing.

Chooko

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChookoSend a Private Message to ChookoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any progress?
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hoping this was completed because I want 2!!
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it just my skewed perception, or are they many of these projects that get 50, 60, 70, 80% there and the poof...gone.

Meanwhile...

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty interesting project.

Still don't understand why GM made this from plastic.
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because plastic is cheap and quick and it served its purpose. None of these started failing until the cars were out of production and out of warranty. It was a good design decision for the manufacturer, but not so good for us non-conformists who insist on keeping the cars long past their intended design life.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
It was a good design decision for the manufacturer, but not so good for us non-conformists who insist on keeping the cars long past their intended design life.

I think that's exactly it. I think the manufacturers figure the average life span of a car is about 10 years. The skeletons lasted just fine for 10 years. They did their job. I'm sure Pontiac didn't figure there'd still be 50k+ owners, 30 years later.

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an annoying amount of parts in the interior of my Saturn Sky built from the same quality of stuff. The tunnel pop-out cup holder in particular seems to have a lifespan of about a year...with light use. Same crappy, cheap, fragile ABS used in a higher-stress environment. Just plain dumb value engineering.

I'm still thinking that a 3D printed vinyl skeleton would be the ticket: Inexpensive, flexible, tough. It doesn't show, so it wouldn't need a smooth, refined finish.
PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
I'm just chiming in with a suggestion for you guys out there with a good skeleton that you wish to save from disintragation. I spray painted my last good skeleton with a rattle-can truck bed liner. It toughens up the plastic real good. Your ideas?

Cordially,
kevin
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Same crappy, cheap, fragile ABS used in a higher-stress environment. Just plain dumb value engineering.

If Fiero owners used their cars as GM planned (meaning no modifications, never remove anything except for the occasional light bulb change, etc), the skeletons work just fine. Disassemble/reassemble things 50 times and things are bound to break. Heat and age weaken it (it happens with everything, no matter the quality) so when you've tried to screw in that same screw for the 100th time, it's gonna crack. Or when you lean on the console/armrest day after day for 30 years, it's gonna crack. Not so much a problem with the materials.

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

If Fiero owners used their cars as GM planned (meaning no modifications, never remove anything except for the occasional light bulb change, etc), the skeletons work just fine. Disassemble/reassemble things 50 times and things are bound to break. Heat and age weaken it (it happens with everything, no matter the quality) so when you've tried to screw in that same screw for the 100th time, it's gonna crack. Or when you lean on the console/armrest day after day for 30 years, it's gonna crack. Not so much a problem with the materials.

GM has been making fragile, crappy center consoles since the 70s: I remember by grandfather going postal when any of his grandkids leaned on the center consoles in the 70s and 80s Blazers he drove (he sold Chevys for 35 years). It's inevitably that people are going to lean on a center console- to unlock a door, roll down a window, switch seats, etc. Not designing them for this (like by employing copious amounts of very brittle ABS) is, at least in my case, a way to discourage repeat customers.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

GM has been making fragile, crappy center consoles since the 70s: I remember by grandfather going postal when any of his grandkids leaned on the center consoles in the 70s and 80s Blazers he drove (he sold Chevys for 35 years). It's inevitably that people are going to lean on a center console- to unlock a door, roll down a window, switch seats, etc. Not designing them for this (like by employing copious amounts of very brittle ABS) is, at least in my case, a way to discourage repeat customers.

Meh. Technology improves with time. "Modern" cars weren't meant to last forever. The average lifespan is 10 years. The Fiero is 30 years old. Expect things to break.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock