1999 Cavailer Seat Swap by Slow6
Started on: 07-29-2013 12:46 AM
Replies: 5 (1657 views)
Last post by: mmeyer86gt/gtp on 07-31-2013 12:09 PM
Slow6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow6Send a Private Message to Slow6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went seat shopping at the local junkyard. Found a paint faded 99 Cavalier that looked terrible, but ironically with a clean interior. Went ahead and pulled the seats, paid $50, and took them home. These will hold me over until I can figure out what I want to do with the interior.

The issue when these are installed is that the seat belt holder hits the pillar. To avoid this they must be removed and here's how to do it.

First thing is to move the headrest to the furthest up position and remove the metal clip:

To access them, the fabric must be moved below the plastic housing. You will be able to pry them out with a small flathead screwdriver. Make certain you are doing this from the rear of the seats.

Reminds me of a GM transmission clip that holds the lines in the radiator:

Once the headrests are removed you will need to flip them over and remove the metal ring:

At this point you have 2 options. You can reinstall the clips to hold the headrests in place or leave them out:

Now it's time to remove the factory seats. This is done with a 13mm socket for the front and 13mm wrench for the rear:

Once the seat is removed enjoy your new found riches:

When i acquired my Fiero the driver seat had a seat cover and this is why:

Time to remove the seat tracks off both seats. Fiero=13mm Cavy=15mm

Comparison of the two seats (Fiero seat on the left)

Cavalier tracks removed

Fiero seat tracks installed on Cavy seat=direct swap

Put the driver seat in the car(uninstalled) then called it quits for dinner. I'll update with pictures when both are bolted in.

[This message has been edited by Slow6 (edited 07-29-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the route I took, but my seats are probably 2001 or so.

They look like they belong in the car.

------------------

Malkier

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalkierSend a Private Message to MalkierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice write up!

If you decide to recover your original seats, I highly recommend Mr. Mike's. Hog rings can be a pain, but his instructions were excellent.

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a guy in East Texas Craigslist looking for Fiero seats. I hear they are popular in C4 Vettes.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I didn't know cavalier seats bolted right to the Fiero rails..neat. I drive a 2003 cavalier daily, and it has the exact same seats. I don't think the seats changed any from 1995 to 2005. As a matter of fact, I had to replace my drivers side seat when I bought the car because the padding in the upper section was gone. There was a metal bracket digging into right shoulder blade it was so worn. Oddly enough, every drivers side seat in the junkyard I was at, had the same problem to a certain degree. I ended up just using a passenger side seat on the drivers side. It does work, the recline handle is just on the wrong side, which doesn't bother me.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you sit higher in the car or is it the same height.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock