1987 V6 Automatic, cable attachment to transaxle by 1987Fiero_GT
Started on: 07-28-2013 05:18 PM
Replies: 4 (160 views)
Last post by: EvilSqueezles on 07-29-2013 05:51 PM
1987Fiero_GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1987Fiero_GTSend a Private Message to 1987Fiero_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a new owner of an 87 Fiero. My shifting cable appearnetly is missing something on the transaxle side which cause the plastic fitting to come up and off of the little ball post. After close inspection, I see only plastic inside that end. Should there be an insert or is it an insert that pops on from the top?

If I saw a proper one, I could come up with a fix but I am not sure what if anything that I am missing. Any input would be gladly appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This one? Photo credit to Rodney Dickman

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-28-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, that is the Throttle Valve cable.
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=57&products_id=57

Put this in both your posts to make sure you see it

~James
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EvilSqueezles

397 posts
Member since Apr 2007
And you're not missing anything. Over time and lots of use the plastic just gives up the ghost and doesn't clip on very well. Much like the sensors plugs that the clips snap off of left and right. Rodney's got a good fix there for the price. I'm sure you could rig your own as long as you find some kinda of pipe 3/8" OD to act as a guide. That way the plastic eye won't sit loose over, say, just a bolt thread. If you drill out the old retaining ball j believe you end up using a 1/4" bolt.

For the time and effort, vs 19$, personally I'd just buy the part that's been working for others for a while. Should be a permanent fix unless your cable physically separates somewhere down the road.

~James

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock