Started on: 07-28-2013 09:32 AM
Replies: 13 (212 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 07-28-2013 10:46 PM
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking into having my 85 Fiero brought to South Carolina so I can start working on it again, but I don't know where to start as far as shippers go. I did a google search and came up with a bunch of results, but it seemed like a mess of spam and garbage to sort through. anyone have a recommendation for me? I'm also considering borrowing my dad's truck and renting a trailer so I can just do it myself, but 800 miles burns alot of gas, and then factor the trailer rental fees, and I might be running up a fee as high as just paying someone else. FWIW, I am military, I don't know if any of the shipping companies offer a military discount, or if the navy has a shipping program.

Any thoughts?

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Contact Dave (bmwguru) on here. His wife transports cars.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-074893.html

Also Ron (Blackrams) may be able to help you.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be too many unloaded miles to be able to give a fair price compared to the big shipping companies.
Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what it's worth, I think your idea of borrowing your Dad's truck and renting a trailer is going to be the most cost effective method. A one way u-haul rental is not that expensive. True 800 miles burns a lot of fuel, but auto shippers are not cheap. And they might end up damaging your vehicle in the process. Yeah they have insurance and all, but it's a pain nonetheless.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still going to look into the costs of each, and a one way uhaul was not cheap at all once you factor gas for the tow vehicle...

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 07-28-2013).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I'm still going to look into the costs of each, and a one way uhaul I was not cheap at all once you factor gas for the tow vehicle...

Depends on your definition of cheap. You might want to look into a local trailer rental. Sometimes it's cheaper to rent it local and take it on that 800 mile roundtrip than to rent one way.

Or better yet, see if anyone around you has a trailer you can borrow. Mine hasn't left the yard in 4 years since someone last borrowed it.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Depends on your definition of cheap. You might want to look into a local trailer rental. Sometimes it's cheaper to rent it local and take it on that 800 mile roundtrip than to rent one way.

Or better yet, see if anyone around you has a trailer you can borrow. Mine hasn't left the yard in 4 years since someone last borrowed it.

$400 before tax for just the trailer, no fuel, no vehicle wear and tear... that's expensive to me. I don't know anyone who owns a trailer, maybe a friend of a friend...

------------------

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We ship cars with a focus on exotics and high-end collector cars. Like many shippers, we do true milage because we do not do hot shot runs. That means we charge from the moment we leave the shop. Except rare cases, we charge 1.50/mile. This price helps cover the insurance that is over a grand each month (and this is a side business we do for a little extra money and fun).

That said, you are VERY likely gonna come out best borrowing/renting a truck and trailer.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

That would be too many unloaded miles to be able to give a fair price compared to the big shipping companies.
Dave

'Guru, I thought I already replied to this, but thanks for the honest straight up answer.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3093 posts
Member since Jan 2010

Originally posted by psychosurfer:

We ship cars with a focus on exotics and high-end collector cars. Like many shippers, we do true milage because we do not do hot shot runs. That means we charge from the moment we leave the shop. Except rare cases, we charge 1.50/mile. This price helps cover the insurance that is over a grand each month (and this is a side business we do for a little extra money and fun).

That said, you are VERY likely gonna come out best borrowing/renting a truck and trailer.

I still want to get quotes, depending on the difference cost wise, I may have it shipped even if it costs a little more. it just depends.

------------------

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fill out an online form. You wil get a good 20 phone calls the next day from pushy transport companies each with totally difft quotes. I got a range of 400 to 800 to ship my car. I think i ended up with a 600 dollar shipper and it went well. Brokers sell to you then post your job at a certain price. If you go with the cheapest broker you may end up with a crap shippper.
PFF
System Bot
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uship.com. People bid to do your shipping, and they have other things on load in most cases. You see there rating and such as well.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We get many of our shipments from central dispatch. Not sure how owners register their shipments there, but a good place to look.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I don't know anyone who owns a trailer, maybe a friend of a friend...

Have you asked on here?? Maybe somebody down in Central Florida can help you out. They seem to have a very active club maybe somebody down there can meet you halfway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock