I wrecked my 87 GT today by V8 Vega
Started on: 07-26-2013 08:51 PM
Replies: 6 (568 views)
Last post by: V8 Vega on 07-30-2013 12:01 AM
V8 Vega

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It needs a new nose piece and front fender but Fiero's have plastic panels fastened to a metal frame and that frame is bent enough that its not a easy fix. You can't open the front hood and you cant get the nose piece off without opening the hood. I put it on Craigslist at $995, I probably could of got $ 3,000 or more before.
It still drives fine, I let go of the steering wheel and it continued going straight.
It never rains here in summer but there was a shower very briefly only in that spot as I was going on a curve transition from one freeway to another and I spun clear around twice, hitting the concrete wall along the side of the freeway once.
I knew the car was damaged and I was pointing the wrong way on the freeway but it started and I got it turned around the correct way and was able to proceed. I got off at the next off ramp to see how bad it was. I was lucky there were no cars coming right then both during the spin and as I was very illegally and dangerously turning around.
I was extremely stupid as I seem to be at times during my life, I was doing 80 or close to it and there always talking about how the road is really slippery when it first rains. A mile down the road no rain and no rain from then on.
I was extremely lucky, it could have been much worse so easily. It was a nice car, a 5 speed.
It must have looked like those spectacular Nascar crashes you see on TV.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jarhead 2m4

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jarhead 2m4Click Here to visit Jarhead 2m4's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jarhead 2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's an unusual word to use: spectacular.
quins&dads88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for quins&dads88Send a Private Message to quins&dads88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets take a look at the damage. I have a front bumper you could have for cheap.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you hit the wall and you see it the car was lose as they say in nascar.

You do have to watch in slick conditions as the Fiero is well known for spinning out. I have done it and I have seen others do it in the rain. Once it goes you can't do much to stop it. I have noted how it can be bad out there after dry spells where the oil just comes out of the concrete.

Sorry to hear this but if you drove it of it sounds like you should be able to fix it.

Just glad you drove away and were not hurt.

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

You do have to watch in slick conditions as the Fiero is well known for spinning out. I have done it and I have seen others do it in the rain.

I've done it on a dry road. Ever done a 50mph, 540° spin followed by a 180° j-turn in the opposite direction? It'll definitely make you pucker. Lift throttle oversteer can hurt.

Just glad you drove away and were not hurt.

This, X2.

Anything can be fixed, it just depends on if you can fix it properly and safely. Pull the panels that are still mounted and post up some pics - there's plenty of people here that could tell you what it'd need to be repaired or if it's a better idea to strip and scrap it. If it drove straight, I doubt the damage was that extensive but you never know until you inspect it.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear that, but you are fine and the damage minimal.
It is a way to learn bump and body work, if you are so inclined.

You should try winter driving here in the great white north,
I can't remember how many times I spun out and ended in a ditch...
You learn fast, or you get a beater! After 13 years of driving
my 84 summer and winter, I drive a beater, it saves the
Fiero from rusting out...
V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2013 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just sold the 87 Fiero that I wrecked last Friday. Sold for $600, I may have gotten more if I held out but I didn't want to lose the chance to sell it now and have it languish for months while I try to sell it. The guy was a nice guy and I wish him luck, he was mechanically inclined and knew what he was getting into. I'm just to old to want to do battle with fixing it, he knew what was involved in fixing it.
I'm surprised and happy to sell it so quick, I had visions of having to sell it to a junkyard, I even called Pick Your Part and they said they would give me $400 if I brought it in or $350 if they pick it up. Of coarse that was over the phone, I wonder if maybe its less when they see it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock