Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Do you raise your headlights in intersections and busy streets?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Do you raise your headlights in intersections and busy streets? by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 07-19-2013 11:03 PM
Replies: 17 (554 views)
Last post by: crashyoung on 07-21-2013 09:02 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was just wondering if I am not the only one who raises my headlights whenever going through busy intersections, streets, etc when you know there is a lot going on? I do this to ensure people see me coming. My Fiero is much lower than the average car out there and I get a little paranoid about people not seeing me. I don't flip them up in every intersection & street, just really busy ones where there is a lot going on. Ya, I'm putting more wear and tear on the motors but I feel it's worth the extra margin of safety.

Does anyone else do this? Or am I just paranoid ?
Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 07-19-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I occasionally turn on my parking lights to act as DRLs.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the way to & from work there are a few intersections that I would. I have had so many dumb bunnies making left hand turns in front of me, that I just put the lights up, some times I turn the brights on for them, there coffee may not have awaken them yet! LOL
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm with rbell on this one....I regularly use my parking lights as DRLs. About 95% of my Fiero driving is done on twisty mountain roads...and I usually turn the parking lights on when cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway or other routes that I take. I do a lot of in and out of the shade...so I like to think that helps. I don't like to use the full headlights for cosmetic reasons...plus it kills the aerodynamics to have those two parachutes sticking up (my duke/auto needs all the help it can get).

Here I am at Run For The Hills 17 with the parking lights on (I have since fixed the side marker lights)...

Here is more of the group....as you can see, some of them agree with running with full headlights...
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

My Fiero is much lower than the average car out there and I get a little paranoid about people not seeing me.

Yeah, no doubt. Sometimes it seems we are invisible based on the stupid stuff people do in traffic. Makes me wonder if people have forgotten how to watch for small cars.

Also, never ride alongside or in someone's blind spot. I live in DuPage County IL which has firmly embraced America's love affair with the SUV and they are everywhere. I'm certain they cannot see a short car like a Fiero adjacent to them or in their mirrors.

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always turn my lights on. Right after startup. All my vehicles. But, I kind of do it more so in the Fiero. But, then again, my lights look like this...

fiero2man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2013 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kitsakboodle....your drinking the wrong cool aid. Drive with your light on if your worried.amd drive defensively. You've got to be kidding about big vehicles in traffic..whats your driving problem ???
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-20-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero2man:

Kitsakboodle....your drinking the wrong cool aid. Drive with your light on if your worried.amd drive defensively. You've got to be kidding about big vehicles in traffic..whats your driving problem ???

I can easily attest to being nearly run over by drivers not seeing my low slung car. Heck, and this is most embarrassing, but I ran over the front of my GT two weeks ago. My GT was in the drive along side my F150. I got in the truck, checked my mirrors, and looked over my shoulder forgetting that my Fiero was parked next to the truck on the passenger side. My fault! :0 I ended up driving over the left front fender, over the mirror, and the truck tire slid off of the drivers door. After some serious polishing, the only damage was to the drivers mirror. It bent the shat out of it.

I pay more attention than most, and still made a mistake. At least it was mine, and not someone else's.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive never been a fan of turning lights on for daytime visibility. People just dont pay attention anymore. Ive had people pull out right in front of me driving my stretch limo. I even had one pull out litterally 20' ahead of me going 55mph in my 35 foot motorhome. Ya my 8 tons almost flattened him....figure he crapped his pants.
wolf63

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i hear ya. when my 84 finally reached daily driver status (it still had a few "bugs" to work out) and i took it to work for the first time. 3 people pulled out right in front of me within a few blocks. "fix the horn" instantly moved to the top of my "to do" list :-)
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ive never been a fan of turning lights on for daytime visibility. People just dont pay attention anymore. Ive had people pull out right in front of me driving my stretch limo. I even had one pull out litterally 20' ahead of me going 55mph in my 35 foot motorhome. Ya my 8 tons almost flattened him....figure he crapped his pants.

All the more reason to turn them on. Anything that increases your chances of being seen helps. Its free.
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think a lot of it has to do with where we live. In Detroit, very few folks do this. Here in Washington, it is commonplace.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only use the lights/markers in the rain (state law) or when it is dark. In my opinion, using them any other time starts to lessen (or numb) the lights on benefit for the motorcyclists and they need it more than I do.

I get cut off more while driving my full size 4x4 truck than I do driving the fiero... so I don't think the size of the fiero has anything to do with people just not paying attention.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

some times I turn the brights on for them

There are at least three reasons you don't want to ride around with your brights on during the day.

1. While it's true you will be more visible, other drivers will have a harder time judging your speed. All they will see is two (or one if you're on a motorcycle) bright fuzzy balls coming toward them.

2. The headlights themselves were not designed to operate continuously on high beams. The extra heat over time can shorten the life of the bulbs and damage the reflective surface inside. The cooler night air helps to keep the heat from high beams managable.

3. You can get a ticket for failure to dim your lights.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put on my parking lights for high-way driving & dark/cloudy city driving, head lamps in the rain.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not put them on.

I do have an issue at night where since the head lamps are so close together that people will pull out in front of you as they think you are just some small car driving slow.
fiero2man

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My girlfriend does !!!
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lock up all four brakes and sound your tires if you want pants soiling response...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock