L67 First test ride. by 86GTFastback
Started on: 07-17-2013 07:34 PM
Replies: 4 (284 views)
Last post by: 86GTFastback on 07-18-2013 09:26 AM
86GTFastback

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got my swap up to where it can be driven, a 00-ish L67 in a 86GT with the Muncie 4 speed. It's nice, definitely peppier than the 2.8 and I haven't gotten on it yet as I want to make sure everything is secure and safe (bought a fire extinguisher ) Only thing that bugs me is this thing shakes the whole car, might have something to do with the poly mounts and I removed the balance shaft gear... which may go back in if I ever have the engine out. Took it to the gas station down the street and all ready had one honk and wave (the good kind), on the way back I gave it some gas, that super charger whine is amazing! It just feels good to sit back and think, I did this, this car is a beast because I made it that way.

If I ever finish compiling my receipts for this swap I'll post a thread with part numbers, I know some have posted some over here and some there, but it definitely would have helped if everything was in one place and I knew where to look for certain things like summit racing for 1" freeze plugs or amazon for a 3/4 npt tap, or especially that you can send your 4 speed shifter bracket to West Coast Fiero to be modified for the 3800 cross over.

Couldn't have done it with out Darth, thanks Ryan! I'll be on my way over to Indiana for a custom tune as soon as I can.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats!

I remember my first few drives and they were pretty sweet. I will agree that having poly mounts makes mine rattle a bit more than I had expected. Combine that with poly bushings in the rear and a stage 4 clutch because I didn't want spec's "spring" problems and I think I managed to make my car unfriendly to drive . It sure does feel cool to have a unique machine that sounds like a beast though.
Oneredfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneredfieroClick Here to visit Oneredfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OneredfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a break down of parts that are needed for this swap.
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats! I'm real close to finally driving mine too, same setup L67 with the 4 speed. I've got poly engine/trans mounts and solid cradle bushings, definitely shakes the car quite a bit! I wouldn't attribute the vibrations to the balance shaft removal, just leave it out. How did you close the end cap by the bell housing? I plan to remove my balance shaft when I eventually install a cam.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

[This message has been edited by Jfrost (edited 07-18-2013).]

86GTFastback

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

Congrats! I'm real close to finally driving mine too, same setup L67 with the 4 speed. I've got poly engine/trans mounts and solid cradle bushings, definitely shakes the car quite a bit! I wouldn't attribute the vibrations to the balance shaft removal, just leave it out. How did you close the end cap by the bell housing? I plan to remove my balance shaft when I eventually install a cam.

Thanks! I'm actually glad to hear its not just me

I looked at the options and decided with my level of expirence the safest thing was to just pull the gear and leave the shaft in there when I put my xp cam in there. I guess it's not a true "delete" more of a disable. Not concerned about the weight of it, if I do the heads I'll probably look at removing the whole shaft.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock