Fiberglass Scoop Help by JCircs
Started on: 07-15-2013 03:01 PM
Replies: 21 (998 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 09-26-2013 01:03 PM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased a GT deck so I can experiment with a mustang scoop without damaging my original. I have a 79 style scoop with 5 bolts, I have already drilled and did a dry fit and it looks great. Now for the questions, first of all I have never done anything like this before so please be specific, I have done quite a bit of searching and reading on the forum so I'm aware of the SMC panel adhesive that is needed, I will probably use the everclear so I dont need to spend the extra money on the applicator that will only be used once. My question is after using the adhesive do I use bondo to round the seam or can the everclear be used? Any other tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087461.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierojp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojpClick Here to visit fierojp's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierojpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I added a Mustang scoop (a long time ago - 90's), I cut a hole and then simply bolted it on with the 5 bolts and it sat very flush with the deck. I had it for a long time like that with no problems whatsoever and it looked factory to me. Maybe now they're doing it differently / better?

Oh, and that's a nice Fiero you have!

[This message has been edited by fierojp (edited 07-15-2013).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use the Evercoat as the actual Bondo. If you need to fill in any pinholes, you can use the standard Bondo spot putty in a tube.
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swear by it and many others will tel you "3M 8115" panel adhesive is the best. You will wreck the car and smash the hood, the scoop will not come off. I have used it for everything from bonding wood back to my John Deer tractor hood having cracked badly and put it back together. Some shops carry it like by me a Body supply place has it. I have found it at times cheaper on line. Rick B

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...5&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Use the Evercoat as the actual Bondo. If you need to fill in any pinholes, you can use the standard Bondo spot putty in a tube.

If you want an molded in look you will need a full decklid repaint ... alot of sanding ...

Good luck on your build ... post lots of pics

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

If you want an molded in look you will need a full decklid repaint ... alot of sanding ...

Good luck on your build ... post lots of pics

I'm figuring alot of sanding in my future. I will have it sprayed by a professional for sure but I'm looking forward to doing the customization myself. I just want to do the right job with the correct material.
robiwon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierojp, what model year Mustang did your scoop come from? Looks very nice!
fierojp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierojpClick Here to visit fierojp's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierojpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robiwon1:

I remember it being from an early 80's Mudstain that I came across in a junkyard. I don't know if guys are using different ones now, but the one I had fit flush enough that I didn't think it was worth the trouble to fill in the seam. A great mod for the Fiero - looks great and functional!

The other thing I did with that car was put rearward facing Trans Am vents on the front to allow some of the trapped air out of there. Has anyone ever verified if vents on the front hood help reduce front end lift at high speed? I never had a wind tunnel!

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robiwon1:

It's the 79-81 stang scoop, and it's the exact one I'm working with.
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great! Thanks for the info. Killer looking Fiero by the way.
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bolt it on you will need to do nothing else that is the wat we have ours. been on for 5 years no issues and looks great!

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom
President of Maryland Fiero Owners Club MFOC
NYFOC Member

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

I swear by it and many others will tel you "3M 8115" panel adhesive is the best. You will wreck the car and smash the hood, the scoop will not come off. I have used it for everything from bonding wood back to my John Deer tractor hood having cracked badly and put it back together. Some shops carry it like by me a Body supply place has it. I have found it at times cheaper on line. Rick B

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...5&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have used inexpensive Loctite 2 part plastic epoxy on the Fiero urethane panels with great success. It should also work on fiberglass.
http://www.loctiteproducts....y-Plastic-Bonder.htm
This stuff is also rated for fiberglass:
http://www.zorotools.com/g/...LItrgCFcue4AodlQsA-A

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress on donor hood. No I don't own a spray booth I chickened out and brought it to a professional.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 09-24-2013).]

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:
I will probably use the everclear so I dont need to spend the extra money on the applicator that will only be used once.

I definitely would NOT use everclear, you’ll be way too drunk to do decent body work.

Originally posted by JCircs:

My question is after using the adhesive do I use bondo to round the seam or can the everclear be used? Any other tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

I used a twin tube panel adhesive to bond my scoop to my decklid, then used the evercoat to blend it in. Evercoat vett panel adhesive is basically bondo for fiberglass so use that and NOT regular bondo. One thing to note, evercoat is harder to sand than bondo so don't overdo it.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 09-19-2013).]

Sile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SileSend a Private Message to SileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierojp:

I remember it being from an early 80's Mudstain that I came across in a junkyard. I don't know if guys are using different ones now, but the one I had fit flush enough that I didn't think it was worth the trouble to fill in the seam. A great mod for the Fiero - looks great and functional!

The other thing I did with that car was put rearward facing Trans Am vents on the front to allow some of the trapped air out of there. Has anyone ever verified if vents on the front hood help reduce front end lift at high speed? I never had a wind tunnel!

Wow i like that. Also interested to know if it helps reduce lift.

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sile:

Wow i like that. Also interested to know if it helps reduce lift.

Heck, if it keeps the headlights from popping up at 105mph then it is worth it and is probably reducing drag. Have you driven past 105 - do your headlight covers still pop up?

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.906 at 111.93mph

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting closer
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOOKS NICE!
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

LOOKS NICE!

Thank you...
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where did ya take it? I need my scoop repaired
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

where did ya take it? I need my scoop repaired

Waynes Speed Shop & Auto body South Amboy. You might want to check out the speed shop if you haven't already.
I finally got around to installing it today, not washed yet so disregard the dust but the paint looks like glass and where he molded the scoop in looks perfect like it was from the factory.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Id have wholeheartedly agreed with others to just bolt it on and be done. Never would have a problem. With it molded on, you have varying thickness on the trunk lid. When the engine gets hot, it will contract and expand at all different rates. You may not have a problem, but Ill put bets on it cracking somewhere within a year or two. Usually the whole blend cracks all the way around. I put a 6 pac hood scoop on my Dodge. Just bolted it on and no issue at all in 6 years. Looks factory too. If you dont want just panel on panel, you could put a gasket around it....like the wing has.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock