Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How did pontiac let this one slip? (Fiero with incorrect paint scheme on brochure)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How did pontiac let this one slip? (Fiero with incorrect paint scheme on brochure) by RockDork
Started on: 07-10-2013 12:11 AM
Replies: 27 (1014 views)
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 07-13-2013 02:39 PM
RockDork

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Why would the nose and rear be painted different colors from side ground effects?? Seems like something the ad department should have caught!

Sorry if repost.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oops..
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been a special effects photographer for nearly 30 years. Having photographed 100s of cars there is nothing wrong with the paint. It is a metallic silver that was lit incorrectly. The door ground effects are reflecting the ground is all.

Dr. W.
------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 07-10-2013).]

RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Have been a special effects photographer forvnearly 30 years. Having photographed 100s of cars there is nothing wrong with the paint. It is a metallic silver that was lit incorrectly. The door ground effects are reflecting the ground is all.

Dr. W.

OK..... That maybe so, but I would still figure GM would have touched that up to reflect the consistent color stripe at bottom of the car rather than something that looks mismatched.

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe they wanted the front and the rear to stand out more with their curves and therefore created a shadowed look for the middle ground effects

jon
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could be the lighting conditions, but it could also just be an OOPS... I'm also a Shelby enthusiast and something they used to do in order to save money was take the same car and paint it over and over again for different shows and photo shoots. Looks like Pontiac could have done the same...
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd blame it on poor use of lighting... you can see the reflections on both front and rear bumper corners from an apparent artificial light source which makes me think they took a large number of pictures at various angles and picked the one which showed a complete profile of the "new for '86" body style while taking advantage of the natural surroundings of the shoot location.

Another light source below the camera could've likely resulted in an unbecoming glare on the body of the car which isn't great for showcasing a new product. But I'm not a photographer; however, I have done a bit of live video recording for archival/broadcast purposes.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

It is a metallic silver that was lit incorrectly. The door ground effects are reflecting the ground is all.

No offense, but I find that extrememly difficult to believe with this particular photo.

IMO, the black of the rocker and aero trim is far too "perfect" along their entire length to simply be a reflection.

I think we can all agree though, that this was one crappy lighting job for a photo-shoot.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-10-2013).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

No offense, but I find that extrememly difficult to believe with this particular photo.

Think critical angle.

I think we can all agree though, that this was one crappy lighting job for a photo-shoot.

That we can agree on.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, they popped a flash at the front of the car, and a second one at the rear, which was perhaps not as bright. Probably due to the width of the wheels, none got onto the lower rockers (although the rest of the door is well-lit, which is strange...).

Probably just an unfortunate bit with the lighting. Move the light an inch closer and I bet it wouldn't look so odd.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Yea, they popped a flash at the front of the car, and a second one at the rear, which was perhaps not as bright. Probably due to the width of the wheels, none got onto the lower rockers (although the rest of the door is well-lit, which is strange...).

Probably just an unfortunate bit with the lighting. Move the light an inch closer and I bet it wouldn't look so odd.

Even so ....it really does look like the middle is black and the ends are silver. Look at the shadowed area on the back silver part ...and compare it to the middle. They don't look the same. The back looks like silver ...in shadow. The middle just looks black
PFF
System Bot
Zanson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZansonClick Here to visit Zanson's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZansonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't care how bad your lighting is, you will NEVER get that black in the middle. you can see the red refection off the black paint in the middle there. that is most definitely black not silver there.

the fact that you can see the flash bounce off the edges of the middle black part shows there was more then enough lighting to illuminate the proper color on the side of that car. unless those black parts were under the car and a light was over the car to make a shadow in that area with high contrast you would still see some silver and not totally black.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zanson:

I don't care how bad your lighting is, you will NEVER get that black in the middle. you can see the red refection off the black paint in the middle there. that is most definitely black not silver there.

the fact that you can see the flash bounce off the edges of the middle black part shows there was more then enough lighting to illuminate the proper color on the side of that car. unless those black parts were under the car and a light was over the car to make a shadow in that area with high contrast you would still see some silver and not totally black.

Explain the rear wheel then... I agree with Will. The low side of car was shadowed due the flash being shadowed by the front and rear wheels. Look how far the light comes forward on the trailing edge of the rear fascia as well as the leading edge of the front. It's just a poorly lit photo during a sunset... thinking about the tools of the day, if it is a real background, that was a REALLY tricky exposure with that much backlighting...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Think critical angle.

Marvin, you're by far one of the brightest members of this forum, and it scares me to say this ... but I don't agree with you on this one.

IMO, the "reflection" or "shadow" or whatever we might want to call it... is just too perfect.

It's not like we're dealing with a single plane. There are multiple angles and curvatures... and yet the "black" is consistent and perfect.

I simply cannot believe that the rocker and aero trim on the side of that Fiero are actually silver in color.

Marvin, please be gentle with me. My education was limited to two years of college.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Explain the rear wheel then....

Actually when I look at the rear wheel...it looks obviously silver (but in shadow) ......which is what I would expect to see in the middle section (if it were silver), but I don't. In fact that is one of the reasons I think that middle section is black instead of (just) deep shadow.

** Edit** And as I look closer at the black section (and I am now 100% convinced it is black), I notice that just behind the front wheel it is partially lit and it doesn't look at all silver...it still looks black ...just lighter

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 07-11-2013).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

... I don't agree with you on this one.

GASP!!! Philistine!!!
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to go with a badly lit and exposed picture. I doubt the car is "on location" either. The silver of the wheels will not have the same reflectance as the silver paint, which has small metal flakes in it that can redirect light. This same principle can be applied to the over exposed front where the silver paint looks almost white. Typical 80's camera and lighting tech. I would surmise the car was photographed in a dark building with bright floods for and aft. The background was added later. The whole composition then could have been over/under exposed to balance it out.

That's just my 2 1/2 cents, not worth much....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

GASP!!! Philistine!!!

I know, I'm sorry.

I'll go to my room now.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need Myth Busters to recreate the picture...
Looks black to me too.

Kevin
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eh............I say its black plain and simple. Just the result of an idiot painter and an even more idiot in the fact checker or design reviewer. They probably seen the color of the base model ground effect was black and just assumed it was the same for the GT. They probably seen the aero nose and back end in a picture somewhere was painted silver and went with that, not giving too much thought to the fact of continuity between the sides and the front and rear. S**t like this happens every day I'm sure. I would have figured there would be more of an attention to detail especially since this was the debut year for the fastback that was to take the Fiero world by storm!! LOL

Nothing gets by us "experts" in the field. It only took 27 years to call them out on it. I'm sure the casual car brochure browser wouldn't have noticed or cared about this about this visual oversight. The cars sold just fine despite this. After all, most people make their decisision from the car on the lot, not a badly lit photo such as this!!
RockDork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RockDorkSend a Private Message to RockDorkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a little bit of a beer buzz when I typed this so please excuse if this comes across as an incoherent rant! LOL

I'm a little embarrassed, but I think there is still a few valid points somewhere in there.
PFF
System Bot
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adding my two cents worth, I agree, black on the center, grey on the ends.

I do have to ask, wasn't in 86 and 87 and option to get the two tone color the car to be black? I had a factory red 86 SE with black trip, and I have seen 87 blue SE's with black trim. I don't know if I have seen an 85 that way though. Do you think they were showing the two different two tone options on this car?

Chris
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 1/4 window, rear wheel, seat are all a different color too!

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RockDork:...

Nothing gets by us "experts" in the field. It only took 27 years to call them out on it. I'm sure the casual car brochure browser wouldn't have noticed or cared about this about this visual oversight. The cars sold just fine despite this. After all, most people make their decisision from the car on the lot, not a badly lit photo such as this!!

In 1986 I was all set to buy the new Fastback Fiero GT, but I said there is no way I want car with silver trim on the fascia and black trim on the doors and rockers.

I think this is what caused sales to crater and led to the cancellation two years later!
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

In 1986 I was all set to buy the new Fastback Fiero GT, but I said there is no way I want car with silver trim on the fascia and black trim on the doors and rockers.

I think this is what caused sales to crater and led to the cancellation two years later!

Finally we have an answer!!

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:

Adding my two cents worth, I agree, black on the center, grey on the ends.

I do have to ask, wasn't in 86 and 87 and option to get the two tone color the car to be black? I had a factory red 86 SE with black trip, and I have seen 87 blue SE's with black trim. I don't know if I have seen an 85 that way though. Do you think they were showing the two different two tone options on this car?

Chris

86 SEs had dark grey ground effects... beyond that, I'm not sure as I've not seen any later year coupes with any gfx beyond a normal rocker. All of my extra panels are in storage and at least one rear fascia was thrown out when I moved because of a couple really bad tears and some mold finding a home on the part (I'm pretty allergic and didn't want to risk storing any cultures in with my furniture).
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They may have tried to make it look like it fit with lighting but its actually black trim in the middle there is no way lighting could account for a tonal difference that great even with highly reflective surfaces involved and the gravel is not.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Faced with first-person testimony, I concede the point and slink slowly back to my corner.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-13-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock