Fiero Weight Compilation by eph_kay
Started on: 07-05-2013 11:49 AM
Replies: 26 (2097 views)
Last post by: FFIEROFRED on 07-10-2013 10:20 PM
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As some of you guys know from being at the 30th, I set up a barely accurate weighing system with some racing scales I had to see what some of the fieros were coming in at weight wise with swaps and such.

So some of you will criticize because I didn't level the scales, and others because I didn't get more info about each car. But we now have an idea now of how some of the engine swaps affect the weight of the car.

Im kicking myself now, because in the moment of trying to keep people moving along and not taking up too much time I only got total weights of the cars on my list. So if I weighed your car and you want to post up your corner number, please do, I will add them to the spread sheet and let the list progress from there. Also if I got any of the info wrong or incomplete feel free to let me know and I will get it corrected

But without further ado, the list:

Thanks for all the support and help at the show and getting the weighing process moving, I hope you guys all enjoyed finding out what all the hard and custom work turned out to weight

Chris

:edit:
7/9 - Added the local cars that I weighed last night at our monthly meeting

[This message has been edited by eph_kay (edited 07-09-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great information. Thank you!
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was the 86GT about 2/3rds of the way down the list with the 2.8/Getrag combo weighing in at 2836 lbs. As posted, I have the Grand Am brake upgrade on all four corners, a rear hidden hitch (weighs in at approximately 40 lbs), and a rear sway bar. I also have 17" Motegi SP-5 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT 225/45zr17 tires on all four corners.
The weight of my wheels without a tire is 19.5 lbs per wheel. The Eagle GT tires are approximately 17 lbs each. I'd have to weigh them in to get accurate measurements.

I am unsure what the weight of the Grand Am calipers and rotors are, but they are heavier than stock.

Clockwise from the front left (driver's side)...

One of the things we noticed between my car with the battery up front and one of the other similarly equipped GTs with the battery in the stock location was that while the cars were very close to identical in overall weight with the same amount of fuel, etc, the weight shift from the battery in back to the battery in front didn't affect the overall ratio of the front/rear weight differences.

In fact, the front weights on both vehicles were within 10 lbs of each other with mine being lighter. Granted, I didn't have a spare tire or a washer fluid reservoir at the time in front, and my battery is mounted in the spare tire well over the crossmember.
The other GT that was nearly identical DID show a weight difference over the passenger rear wheel of nearly 40 lbs.

The other oddity we encountered when comparing notes is that my 86GT is HEAVIER on the rear driver's corner than the other nearly identical GT... With the engine weight shifted right of center of the vehicle, we can't find anything that would account for that difference between cars.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 07-05-2013).]

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for bringing the scales out...much appreciated.

Mine is the one listed as a roadster (lightest one on the list). I know this is getting stupidly picky...but it is a convertible, not a roadster...the top was stored in the rear trunk when it was weighed. It is well optioned other than AC, and does have added support underneath. Build thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/079675-4.html

I don't have the corner weights on me...but with me in the car, the balance was 44.4% front, 55.6% rear.
Slowbuild

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 85 with the 3.4pr...is 3800lbs a typo (IE 2800?)

Chay
eph_kay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greg I will get it fixed on the convertible part.

And yes that is a typo on the 3.4 car

I will update the file shortly.

Chris
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is the 88 Coupe/Formula with LS4/F40

Total: 2807lb
LF 608 RF 609
LR 794 RR 796

Upgrades:
Champion Radiator
13.5 lb Dyna-Batt battery under the passenger head light
Mille Miglia MII 16x7 wheels front/rear with 205/50/16 and 245/45/16 tires
13" fieroguru brake upgrade front/rear
C4 Vette seat w/o sliders
Hardtop - no sunroof
LS4/F40 engine swap w/ 12 lb flywheel and A/C
fieroguru lateral link relocation brackets
Rod end lateral links
Rear coil over conversion
Stock rear sway bar
Stock rear spoiler

Items Missing:
No Spare, no Jack, empty washer fluid tank
No headliner or A and B pillar trim
No PW, PL or cruise

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-05-2013).]

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my car is the 86 gt ecotec :front driver 577 total weight 2791 44% frt 56% rear
front pass 653
rear driver 819
rear pass 742
not what i expected but still one of the lightest cars on the list and with a full tank of gas.my turbo is a 20G and the hoses, extra rad and intercooler and all the charge piping adds up fast .my rotors are 11" lebaron , a lot heavier than stock , but my willwood calipers are lighter than stock .my car does not have AC but other than the compressor and the can in the front trunk , it is all still there . the front battery adds about 5 lbs because of 20' of #2 welding cable .and the water meth system has a shurflo aggie pump and i am running a solstice catalytic convertor and dual exhaust with a camaro style flowmaster .so it all adds up fast . power windows and door locks and the jack was in but no spare .forgot to take out my 2 cans of fix-a-flat .

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 07-05-2013).]

Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Darn, no Mera's at the 30th? I would be interested to see how much heavier the Mera bodywork is over the stock panels.
chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is a northstar a 4.9?

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chorcob:

Is a northstar a 4.9?

Different motor. They are both V8s, but the Northstar is a 4.6l DOHC.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 07-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chorcob:

Is a northstar a 4.9?

No. Two totally different engines.
4.9 is a pushrod V8
Northstar is a DOHC 4.6 V8
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump . there has to be more people willing to share weight info...
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 1987 GT 3800sc series 1 4t60e weighted in at 3063 with me ( 180lbs) and app. 2 gallons of fuel at scale at track so it was around 2,883 lbs

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is the second one from the top.

http://www.cardomain.com/ri.../1987-pontiac-fiero/

Edit to fix cardomain link.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 07-07-2013).]

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great information Chris. This is a very helpful spreadsheet and I'm glad you took the time to do this.
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Christine:

Mine is the second one from the top.

http://www.cardomain.com/ri.../1987-pontiac-fiero/

Why is the passenger side front 100#s heavier than the driver side? Is it mostly stock?
Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:

Why is the passenger side front 100#s heavier than the driver side? Is it mostly stock?

100lbs is not much and It is more than 50lbs heavier on the driver side when a person is driving it. The car is far from stock, if you see the weight list in the first post to the left it has basic info on what mods the cars have and what transmission they have, I wrote some of this info on my card I posted, the link below will show you more details on the mods I have. http://www.cardomain.com/ri.../1987-pontiac-fiero/

Edit to fix the link

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 07-07-2013).]

iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do like that list showing the different weights on the swaps. A bit surprised at how many weigh over 3000 lbs though.
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got the 3400sfi swap @ 2847 lbs
Think my front to rear bias was 44% : 56%

Mods:
3400 engine from 2001 Grand Am
SC-130 alternator relocated to A/C bracket
Spec 2+ clutch with stock 88 flywheel
5 speed Getrag transmission from1991 cavalier
Rodney Dickman poly mounts
Red top battery

Full I.C.E.
2 amps behind passenger seat
8" crossfire sub custom box under dash
JVC double din head unit

4 trumpet air horn under driver side light
No spare tire, in it's place is:
280 Viair compressor
2 gallon air tank when full has 150 PSI

H4 headlight conversion with dual beam HID's
Three way fog lights in place of front marker lights

Lebaron big brake upgrade
Eibach springs
KYB shocks & struts
Enke CD-9 17" rims

Rear wing delete
A/C delete; only thing left is evap core & dryer

Couple of years after doing the swap, I had the car on a proper scale and it weighed in at 2840 lbs exactly. At the time it still had the wing, no train horn set up, running stock 15" wheels and most A/C lines still on the car. I'd say eph_kay's set up was close to accurate with what he had to work with.

------------------

G.T. Fieros

Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Christine:

100lbs is not much and It is more than 50lbs heavier on the driver side when a person is driving it. The car is far from stock, if you see the weight list in the first post to the left it has basic info on what mods the cars have and what transmission they have, I wrote some of this info on my card I posted, the link below will show you more details on the mods I have. http://www.cardomain.com/ri.../1987-pontiac-fiero/

Link isn't working. I meant stock in the front end of the car. Most cars that I have seen are 20 or so pounds different in the front, 100 seemed like a lot to me. I thought maybe you did the mod where the battery is under the passenger side headlight or something.
PFF
System Bot
eph_kay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually think on Christine's car there is a clerical error on her numbers I wrote down, I think it was supposed to be 595 for the front driver corner, the scales would settle as the car was sitting on them giving the 2lbs discrepancy, so I would guess I just managed to jot down a 4 instead of a 9. which brings the car far more inline for what it should weight out at.

Chris
Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eph_kay:

I actually think on Christine's car there is a clerical error on her numbers I wrote down, I think it was supposed to be 595 for the front driver corner, the scales would settle as the car was sitting on them giving the 2lbs discrepancy, so I would guess I just managed to jot down a 4 instead of a 9. which brings the car far more inline for what it should weight out at.

Chris

That makes more sense now, thanks!
eph_kay

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Added all the local cars that were at our monthly meeting last night, finally got a few more "stock" cars

Chris
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mine weighed today.

88 GT 3.5 HO Chrysler engine w/ Chrysler 42LE automatic trans. Front mount battery.

LF= 579 RF= 605

LR= 873 RR= 825

Total front= 1184
Total rear = 1698
Total= 2882 lbs
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb: bump . there has to be more people willing to share weight info...

I'd love to get my Fiero on a 4-point scale, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

That said, last time I weighed it (at the drag strip a couple years ago), it came in at around 2700 lb. It's an '87 SE with a 3.4 crate engine, getrag 5-spd, no power accessories, and no radio. It also has the Grand Am brake conversion, and some custom bodywork.

I've pulled a lot of weight out of the car since then, but haven't had it weighed yet.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
years ago on 4 corrner race scales at a SCCA solo2. 84 with 85 GT body. 15 inch GT wheels, full interer, no a/c. no driver. pw, pl, seat speakers, floor mats, GA rear brakes, sun roof, bat in front, no spare/jack. 305 iron heads/block CROSSFIRE, 4T60.
LF = 608, RF = 646, LR = 871, RR = 862. TOTAL = 2988, 42/58%

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock