Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  RediRad- allows you to play any portable device through an OEM Fiero radio

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
RediRad- allows you to play any portable device through an OEM Fiero radio by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 07-04-2013 03:57 PM
Replies: 11 (639 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 07-08-2013 11:48 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came across a device call the RediRad. Its a small box that has two leads that splice into your antenna connection on the radio and the antenna itself. With this box and a simple hookup it lets you enjoy your favorite music from your iPod, MP3, CD deck using your vehicle’s existing stereo system without broadcast interference.
I believe that the principle is the same as the forum member who recently added the 1/4" jack to his radio but this device doesn't need the radio to be disassembled. Anyone try the RediRad?
http://youtu.be/NwScNJUu8Rc

There is a unit that operates in the FM band as well.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edited because I didn't pay attention to the description......

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-04-2013).]

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does that Sirius unit work with MP3 players and such?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Does that Sirius unit work with MP3 players and such?

The one below works with anything that has a headphone jack output. I didn't realize that the unit that Dennis mentioned has an FM modulator built in. That is the reason for the power connectors. Here is an alternative that is a little less pricey:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI...&hash=item53f6cdcb30

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-04-2013).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's just an in-line FM modulator... I had one in the early 90s. I don't see anything new here and it's waaaay too expensive.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

It's just an in-line FM modulator... I had one in the early 90s. I don't see anything new here and it's waaaay too expensive.

I believe the ones in the 80's and 90's worked by transmitting a wireless signal that was picked up by the antenna. You also had to tune the radio to an empty channel frequency which is close to impossible in congested metro areas and suburbs. Those units were noisy and did not work well. The current unit should work well but I agree it is pricy. The ebay ones are less expensive but I believe are for AM band radios only.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The ebay ones are less expensive but I believe are for AM band radios only.

Actually I think it is the other way round....the one on the video was for AM insertion (and the EBay one and all the rest are FM)...and is being promoted to classic car crowd based on the fact that many classic cars only have(had) AM radio. I don't believe I have ever seen an AM modulator before ...that could also explain why the price is so high...because it is such a niche item.

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 07-05-2013).]

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of having a hard-wired direct link rather than a wireless modulator. However, I'm not too crazy about having to pull the radio back out to get to the antenna cable to hook up the new unit. Is there a way to get behind the radio to unplug the antenna cable?
Kit
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coming soon - available for FM!

I believe the ones in the 80's and 90's worked by transmitting a wireless signal that was picked up by the antenna. You also had to tune the radio to an empty channel frequency which is close to impossible in congested metro areas and suburbs. Those units were noisy and did not work well. The current unit should work well but I agree it is pricy. The ebay ones are less expensive but I believe are for AM band radios only.

This is the same thing, only wired. You still have to tune to a specific channel, but it sounds like it cuts off the antenna when turned on, so that might help with tuning.

How does the RediRad™ work?

The RediRad operates like an A/B switch: In default mode, the radio receives over-the-air signals that pass straight through the RediRad. In RediRad mode, music signals from your portable music player enter the RediRad via the audio input cable (that plugs into the portable’s headphone jack) and get converted into a radio-frequency signal that the radio treats like regular broadcast. Turn on the radio, tune it to the proper frequency and ENJOY! The RediRad returns to normal broadcast-receive mode within about 45 seconds of turning off the portable music player.

It's a neat idea, but on the older AM models, you're still only listening to mono and whatever quality the OEM speakers and radio were.
Personally, for an old car like that, I'd probably prefer a hidden system with a remote that bypassed the OEM radio completely, especially in an old classic with one speaker in the dash. I can see where it would definitely have it's uses, though.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-05-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I like the idea of having a hard-wired direct link rather than a wireless modulator. However, I'm not too crazy about having to pull the radio back out to get to the antenna cable to hook up the new unit. Is there a way to get behind the radio to unplug the antenna cable?
Kit

Not really (at least not that I know of). That being said ....GM radios are some of the easiest to remove...just remove faceplate...and mounting screws underneath....pull it out far enough to pull the antenna and replace it wth adaptor...shove it back in and button it back up. Just a few minutes I suspect
disjaukifa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for disjaukifaSend a Private Message to disjaukifaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for posting this, I might just get this for my Fiero! I don't like tape deck adapters, they never sound right, and finding an empty AM station isn't difficult. Also I like how small the unit is, should be easy to install in less than an hour!.

Ok after reading more into the product I'm definitely getting one but I'm getting the FM one, its a great idea, and I like how you don't have to fight other broadcast coming in. I like the stock stereo in my 85 Fiero so this will be a welcome addition!

[This message has been edited by disjaukifa (edited 07-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No I had a hard-wired one in my 92 Geo Storm... I had a CD player that I installed and it played through the antenna wire of the cassette/radio. The advantage of hard-wired is that it increases your signal to noise ratio and gives you a better chance of finding a clear channel, but it's not magic. It's still a modulator and it's still going to sound worse than any real connection.

An AM modulator is just ridiculous. You would be better off with a tin can and a string with the sound quality you are going to get from that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock