Zanson's 85 GT rebuild (68K Miles) by Zanson
Started on: 07-03-2013 01:23 AM
Replies: 11 (317 views)
Last post by: Zanson on 07-06-2013 01:33 PM
Zanson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZansonClick Here to visit Zanson's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZansonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just picked up my 85 GT from my grandfather over the weekend. wanted to keep a running topic of things needing repair, photos, ect. Feel free to comment and post suggestions, help or just random banter about the car.

The car has been garage kept since 89, and only has 68K miles on it. It has been driven almost every day, but only a few miles. Good thing is it runs well, bad thing is, there is most likely carbon buildup in the engine since it was only driven a short distance for such a long period of time. This is yet to be determined. I plan on restoring the car, and making some modern upgrades as time goes on. This first phase is focused on fixing all of the mechanical issues in the car.

The first thing i did though, was give it a nice polish and wax, cuz well, the old paint just needed a bit of love. I have completed the top of the car, and need to work on the sides (doors, fenders ect)

Things needing repair:
- Shocks/Struts - Completely Gone.
- Tighten all suspension components.
- Engine Sputter (ground, plugs, carbon, not sure whats the cause yet)
- Temp gauge
- Remove the cat, it's dead and well useless. (PA is exempt emissions on this car, so i can do anything i want really.)
- Upgrade Ground cables
- Rear passenger vent needs to paint
- Driver fender is cracked in a few spots
- Front Bumper needs paint
- Bushings
- Headlight Motors
- Cracked Driver side sail
- Missing Driverside emblem

Parts List
Plugs x6 - NGK NGK-2771
Shocks x2 - Monroe 5921 Sensa-Trac
Struts x2 - Monroe 71814 Sensa-Trac
Cam Bolt x2 - Monroe AK30

A Bit of History:
From what i know, in 89 my grandfather picked the car up with 11,000 miles on it. The car apparently had been stolen, in litigation for a while, and was finally back to the original owner. Seeing as the bumper, passenger fender, door and quarter panel have all been repainted (not the same amount of fade as the rest of the car) i can only assume that the front fender/bumper was smashed at some point when stolen. i still have to check what it was replaced with but The rest of the side was painted to blend everything. you can tell where the blended paint ends and the faded original paint begins on the QP, rear bumper and doors. Also looking at how the paint on the bumper has cracked along with the scoop it wasn't a high quality paint job. Now that i somewhat polished the old paint it's a bit harder to spot but you can still see it.

I'll update this as i get more details over time.

Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/9291218@N05/

Fender Crack

Bumper needs paint

Cracked Sail

Vents need paint

------------------
1985 Fiero GT, 68K miles.

[This message has been edited by Zanson (edited 07-04-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Press on those side scoops and report back if they are flexible (urethane) and not fiberglass. If they aren't fiberglass, I have a surprise for you.
Dotrenrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DotrenrewClick Here to visit Dotrenrew's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotrenrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car looks great. The 85 GT is my favorite body style.

Welcome to the madness.

------------------
2002 Audi Allroad. Tip. 100% Natural. (Daily Driver)
2011 VW Golf. (Wife's Wheels)
2002 VW Jetta
1984 Pontiac Fiero 4 speed Duke.

rice.1

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful.
Zanson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZansonClick Here to visit Zanson's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZansonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most definitely flexible.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Press on those side scoops and report back if they are flexible (urethane) and not fiberglass. If they aren't fiberglass, I have a surprise for you.

Original Mecham urethane scoops, I presume
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zanson:

Most definitely flexible.

Ding ding, we have a winner. You have a set of original Mecham side scoops. Worth a fair penny too and very rare.

I had a set on my '87

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-03-2013).]

Zanson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZansonClick Here to visit Zanson's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZansonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering that i know just about all of the history of the car it dose not surprise me. But it is a cool thing to have. It really is one of the reasons i plan on keeping this car stock. Not many left like this. Only subtle/functional upgrades if i can help it.

Thanks for the info
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! I used to drive a 85 GT when I lived right by you in Lansdale, PA
Zanson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZansonClick Here to visit Zanson's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZansonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updated with more photos
Zanson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZansonClick Here to visit Zanson's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZansonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to be buying some parts next week. After doing some research on here im looking at these. thoughts?

New plugs (we will be pushing a cleaner through the engine so plugs will need changing.
front shocks should be easy, rear struts from what i found need the cam bolts as well. if you think im missing anything let me know.

Parts List
Plugs x6 - NGK NGK-2771 OR AC Delco R42TS
Shocks x2 - Monroe 5921 Sensa-Trac
Struts x2 - Monroe 71814 Sensa-Trac
Cam Bolt x2 - Monroe AK30

Note for later, Plug gap is .045

[This message has been edited by Zanson (edited 07-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Zanson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZansonClick Here to visit Zanson's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZansonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, looks like the headlight motors work just fine. Seems someone disconnected the blue wire on the driver side, and the relay totally disconnected on the passenger.

need a new driver side relay, but looks good. I think i may do the headlight switch mod so i don't wear out the motors by accident.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock