Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What do they call this pattern / color scheme ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What do they call this pattern / color scheme ? by 1fast2m4
Started on: 06-29-2013 11:25 AM
Replies: 21 (1332 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 07-03-2013 02:03 PM
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm considering a wrap for my '86 if I do wrap It I would like the whole car patterened like the GM prototype test cars like we have seen recently on the C7 vette and ZL1 before thery where actually unveiled to the public.

Here is the only pic I could find of a car that wasn't 99% covered up

I would like to know what it's called so I can get some samples together and really decide if that is what I want to do. I can find 1,000 pictures of all kinds of cars but they are all bagged up. doesn't anyone take pictures of these things after the big reveal?

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something similar but possibly easier to find would be money. Just make it black and white. I wonder if this is some kind of urban camo designed to keep the lines of the car difficult to be seen before the actual debut?

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may just be to obscure the lines similar to the old wwII ship camo, but the style is often called sharpie as it looks like doodles done with a sharpie marker.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although different from your photo, these guys do wraps on prototype vehicles. You can email them:
http://skinzwraps.com/

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-29-2013).]

dajack761

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dajack761Send a Private Message to dajack761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found similar patterns using sharpy or sharpie wrap.

autosupershield.com/sharpie-lamborghini.php
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, I feel closer than i have ever been before, Seems like "Sharpie" style is very interesting with so much stuff going on my eyes can stay busy on one car for a while.

I seem like while at a glance the c7 vetts "sharpie" wrap is more random shapes and lines, I agree to conceal the body lines, which is my goal, there is some suff I'd like to hide on my car, and I figgure what better way than some GM urban camo

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 06-29-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do they call this pattern / color scheme ?

Fugly!

Jim
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is really my car project for the day, wow

but I'm getting closer,

I think this is a Forza screen shot. hymmmm.

Maybe "Supercharged" down the side like this on

at this point I think I'm just going to add a bunch of pics I like and then when I get a quote I'll just scroll through this thread on my phone to show the graphics guy what a certified nut I am

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 06-29-2013).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SHARPIE ART...is what this is called...originally done with black sharpie markers...now a lot is done on computer design and wraps

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-29-2013).]

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have pics of the C7 vette with the covers off, that is what I want. I like all the individual art projects on all thies sharpie cars, but I want abstract and random. With supercharged, no wait Holset diagonalacorss the side.

------------------

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 06-30-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post06-30-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

Fugly!

Jim

Ya, my thought too.
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why would you want to do that to a street car? FUGLY!
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's two "color schemes" going on in this thread that are technically not the same.

The "sharpie" art - as it's now commonly known - is a recent phenomenon where individuals literally do artwork on the car with sharpie markers. Usually an outline of the design is done, and then the appropriate shading is colored in. For doing this, you want to use the higher quality Sharpie markers that actually produce a black mark. Some markers labeled as "black" are not actually black, and when applied to a white surface actually have a purple-ish tint to them.

The Fiero that was posted some way above is actually a PFF member. He contacted me directly on another car enthusiast site when we came into contact with one another and I pointed him to PFF. He calls himself "Pinstripe Chris", and if you google that you'll find his webpage and the Fiero he did (an '85 GT, that I believe he sold last year). I have to apologize as I have forgotten his PFF handle, but he hasn't posted here all that much anyway.

In recent times, many individuals are circumventing having to actually paint the car with markers by having vinyl designs created. The obvious pros and cons to this is that it saves time since once the design is finalized it's a matter of printing it and applying it to the car. However the con is this can cost a WHOLE lot of money to have done - like thousands.

The other designs we are seeing in this thread is what is just referred to as visual camouflage. This - as we should all know - is what is put on prototypes and concept vehicles to mask their distinctive design. However, contrary to popular belief the designs are not random. They actually serve a purpose. Usually more trickery-to-the-eye design is applied to portions of the car where curvature is most to be hidden, while basic designs are applied to more flat surfaces. The idea is that the design of the camo needs to be able to mask the car at most commonly identifiable angles. Obviously while that is impossible, well-designed automotive camo will suffice these requirements.

Automotive camouflage actually goes through a very intricate design and production process, and thus would cost a whole lot more to have produced that random sharpie-style art. Even the vinyl tarps and such that are put on prototypes and concepts cost a lot of money.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spirit:

Why would you want to do that to a street car? FUGLY!

Why not? it's not really a street car anyway

Either way I was at a local wrap shop today that they said $2850 Designed and Installed and I't only took a few min for them to pull this up

They already have the pattern, they said somebody already has It designed for a C7 they are just waiting on the car. but they will still charge me to design the wrap because they will move lines to favor the natural lines on the car, I also had a few tweaks (like the pattern being sucked into the side vent, 300zx headlights printed on the fiero headlight doors bla bla bla)

$2850 is a lot, not sure I could paint the car for that, I would need a fascias front & rear and all the prep. it would be close, but the Vynal will only last 3-6 years if it's not garage kept, if I paint it, it could last forever if taken care of. Probably going to get facias & prime it, maybe color next year.

I do like how freaking wild it would look, but 3-6 years isn't much of a shelf life.

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 07-01-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd call that first pic by 1fast2m4 "Scrambled Zebra"
dajack761

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dajack761Send a Private Message to dajack761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd just call it cool.
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dajack761:

I'd just call it cool.

I agree, the wrap shop said that they can apply a wrap to a sanded primer (wet sanded) so I'm really thinking I'll prep & flat black the car (I really HATE the peeling clear on my car and the entire front of it) and decide on the finish in the spring. I DON"T want to buy fascias or a door skin OR fix the roof around the sunroof. I really think this crazy camo pattern would hide ALL of that.

I like how crazy it would be. love it, like it or hate it I've never seen it at a car show or anywhere only like 10 things on Google

------------------

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the wrap is very thin, and all - all problems with the original paint will show up.

just FYI

Rob
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

the wrap is very thin, and all - all problems with the original paint will show up.

just FYI

Rob

Yea, they told me that the hard edges where the clear coat stops would have to go. BUT the abstract pattern will hide ALOT I even have a hole in my pass side rocker but the pattern could hide it very well.

------------------

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about this dizzy scheme on a Prowler that I have seen in my area?

PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a couple of hi-enders (lambo's) done with a desert storm type pixel camo wrap. They looked real good. I personally would do it over the sharpie but that's just my choice.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock