Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  30th Friday Lap on the Indy 500 track (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
30th Friday Lap on the Indy 500 track by Ayrow
Started on: 06-27-2013 03:24 AM
Replies: 57 (2330 views)
Last post by: jb1 on 07-07-2013 04:44 AM
Ayrow

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2013 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What time is this happening?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2013 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have done that in the past and it was fun.

I wonder if they will clamp down on the speed? In the past we had to sign a waiver that we would not go over 50 MPH but once we got out there we saw triple digits. Even the pace cars were not doing 50 MPH. But that was a while ago.

Enjoy and I hope someone has a go pro camera.

Yes the yellow shirt track officials can be difficult at times. Just listen to them and move on as they can make things tough.
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are scheduled to go on track at 11am. If you are interested in attending, I would suggest that you come over to the hotel and register today as we are nearing our 150 car limit. Registration is open 3-5 and 6-8pm.
We are actually on the way to the track to talk with our contact to finalize the logistics of what they are going to do at the track.

Fred
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am registered but not signed in yet. I'm visiting family in Kentucky and won't be back till later. Is that going to be a problem?

------------------

Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap

88 Coupe under construction

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are preregistered just show up tomorrow, you're good to go! You can get classed and checked into the show tomorrow...
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think everyone is meeting up at 9 am behind the hotel.
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a video of most of the cars leaving to go to the track

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGgmx1HIBg

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 06-28-2013).]

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When did you have to be signed up to drive on the track?
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Preregistered or pay as you go.
It was awesome.
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a nice experiance however for those of you who were scared of speed we barely made it out of first gear.. crawling most of both laps in stop and go traffic.. there was however a small section ofa few hundred yards where I was able to get it up to 30mph but that was short lived.

Fun none the less and really nice to see all these fiero`s together on the track!

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 06-28-2013).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

It was a nice experiance however for those of you who were scared of speed we barely made it out of first gear.. crawling most of both laps in stop and go traffic.. there was however a small section ofa few hundred yards where I was able to get it up to 30mph but that was short lived.

Fun none the less and really nice to see all these fiero`s together on the track!

I am glad you had a good day for it and it was fun.

It is a shame it was not like it was in the 90's were you could get away with over 100 MPH and they would look the other way. Those here that attended the FOCOA events will back me up on we never really got under 70 on the firs lap and the second 90 MPH up was done by most all.

The last year I did not go as I had been there done that and the yellow shirts would not let anyone on. They went to IRP and did the tracks there. I wish I had know as I would have gone for that.

I imagine the speed felt really slow as the track is so smooth that 100 MPH did not feel that fast till you go to slow for the pits.

The one year they got the original pace car out and put it in Victory lane and let us pull our cars up and get a photo with the two cars in Victory lane.

I would love to see us get a track like Mid Ohio and get some real track time.

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
I would love to see us get a track like Mid Ohio and get some real track time.

THAT would be awesome! I love Mid Ohio.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

THAT would be awesome! I love Mid Ohio.

I have a few laps there in the Fiero and my HHR SS and it is a blast. We were to keep the speeds down but if you sand bag the corners you can take them at a pretty good clip and not get yelled at. The first time I was there me and a guy in a Lotus figured it out and since then we have used it and gotten some fun in the corners.

The Keyhole really tosses you out on the off camber. The eases it is a blast. The drop over the hill at 60-70 is nervy since you can not see on the other side. Makes you wonder what an Indy car driver at 60 MPH more is thinking on three wheels. I have seen them lift the left front there often.

Any one get a Good Go Pro camera shot of todays laps?
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I have a few laps there in the Fiero and my HHR SS and it is a blast. We were to keep the speeds down but if you sand bag the corners you can take them at a pretty good clip and not get yelled at. The first time I was there me and a guy in a Lotus figured it out and since then we have used it and gotten some fun in the corners.

The Keyhole really tosses you out on the off camber. The eases it is a blast. The drop over the hill at 60-70 is nervy since you can not see on the other side. Makes you wonder what an Indy car driver at 60 MPH more is thinking on three wheels. I have seen them lift the left front there often.

Any one get a Good Go Pro camera shot of todays laps?

I got free tickets to the indy car race there last year. We sat in the esses. You really don't have any idea how hilly that place is until being there in person. I would love to take laps there. Mount my GoPro to the front bumper and have some fun.
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
165 Cars went on track today.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

165 Cars went on track today.

Cool!

I would have guessed more than that, by looking at the crowd in the staging lot.
But still...
hercimer01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool video. Must have been frustrating driving that slow though.
ShockWave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShockWaveSend a Private Message to ShockWaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who do we talk to about obtaining the photo that was taken at the start/finish line?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShockWave:

Who do we talk to about obtaining the photo that was taken at the start/finish line?

Unless I'm mistaken, there's going to be a DVD of the whole event.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that really sucks about driving at such a snails pace. Terrible.
PFF
System Bot
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShockWave:

You can order one from me. Send me a PM. We took orders at the awards banquet and sold close to 75 DVD's. Only $5 each containing 1,550 poster quality High Res photos taken by two official IMS photographers.

Fred
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me add that I have seen the pictures that Fred is talking about and he is absolutely correct. These are fantastic pictures in very high resolution. Well worth 5 bucks. WELL worth the 5 bucks.

(is there an echo in here... )
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

3676 posts
Member since Feb 2003

Originally posted by jscott1:

cool video. Must have been frustrating driving that slow though.

YES. But at least we were able to do it.

Thank you Fred for all the hard work with IMS. I'll never forget that lap.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason it was so slow (the first lap) was because when the IMS lead vehicle (truck) got all the way around the 2.5miles, there were still Fieros coming out of the lot onto the track. So, basically, there was one continuous line of Fieros all the way around the track! On the 2nd lap, the pace picked up a bit, but not too much. I hit 50 mph for a bit. Like Larry the cable guy would say, "that was fun! I don't care who you are." To give you an idea of how long a 2.5 mile line of cars is, we were about 40th in line. We came off the track back into the lot, parked, walked up to the museum, and we could still see Fieros going by on the track. The last 3 or 4 cars were NON-Fieros, of people whose cars were being worked on. I felt bad for the 1 Fiero that got all the way to the parking lot to take a lap, but couldn't get started to go with the others. ACHH!!! Thanks to the entire group who worked to organize the entire event.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sledcaddie:

The reason it was so slow (the first lap) was because when the IMS lead vehicle (truck) got all the way around the 2.5miles, there were still Fieros coming out of the lot onto the track. So, basically, there was one continuous line of Fieros all the way around the track!

I understand the logistics of it an all and safety yada yada; but 5 years ago at Michigan we were able to sneak in some triple digits and that was a blast!

Still you are are right I wish I could have been there. I hope there is still an interest in Fieros for the 35th or maybe they are all crushed by then?

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-01-2013).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My pictures from track day...

Lining up at the hotel to leave for the track...

Staging at the track infield...

Below are aerial pictures of the staging. See the guy on top of the electrical box?
I gave my camera to a guy on another box to take these pictures.
I wasn't about to climb the box myself.

On the track!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

Somebody speed that up about 20X speed !

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Below are aerial pictures of the staging. See the guy on top of the electrical box?
I gave my camera to a guy on another box to take these pictures.
I wasn't about to climb the box myself.

Hey that was probly me!
I must have took pics for about 8 people
robiwon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope to be there for the 35th with whatever I buy in Septemeber! Has there been posted an actual number of how many Fieros showed up this year? In all the threads going I may have missed it somewhere.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The number I heard was about 275 registered, of course some out in the parking lot too.
PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arriving at the track!

The car I had the privilage to drive, little did I know this car would win it's class as well as a People's Choice award the next day!

Driving by the pagoda...

Fieros as far as you can see!

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

carbon

4767 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by 2.5:

The number I heard was about 275 registered, of course some out in the parking lot too.

There were 264 cars officially registered and on the show field! Pretty sure that just tops the 25th!

Thanks to everyone for making this an awesome event!
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
those last 2 pics you posted are probably 2 of the best 'Fiero's on the Roll' pics I have ever seen. Highlight of my trip.

------------------
<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?
......................................................www.northtexasfieroclub.org

Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

You can order one from me. Send me a PM. We took orders at the awards banquet and sold close to 75 DVD's. Only $5 each containing 1,550 poster quality High Res photos taken by two official IMS photographers.

Fred

I sent you a PM about getting the CD, I cannot believe I missed you selling these at the awards banquet.
Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Christine

1052 posts
Member since Jan 2003

Originally posted by DL10:

Here's a video of most of the cars leaving to go to the track

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGgmx1HIBg

I cannot get the video to work. I tried using a different browser and holding the control button so it is not blocked but I still cannot watch it. Can everyone else see it?

Edit: OK it did get to watch it buy just going to youtube and putting Cars at the 30th Fiero show in the search box then I could click on it and watch it, here is the link that works for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGgmx1HIBg I do not know why I could ne see it with the other one.

I had fun at the Indy 500 track day, I had the honor of having John Callis ride in my car with me back to the hotel after our day at the track too.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited 07-03-2013).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Christine:

I had fun at the Indy 500 track day, I had the honor of having John Callis ride in my car with me back to the hotel after our day at the track too.

Which car was yours?
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Christine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGgmx1HIBg I do not know why I could ne see it with the other one.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice vid, way to catch almost all the cars driving!
Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Which car was yours?

Mine is the yellow GT with the fi512 nose and side scoops at 5:50 in the video.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock